Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion Observation Camera Glitches - Conspiracy Theories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Observation Camera Glitches - Conspiracy Theories?

Reference Furrion Observation Camera, Model Number FOS48TAPK-BL

So I normally get pretty good performance out of this camera. I took a trip last week, and it performed flawlessly during daytime hours. It never dropped the signal. But after the sun set, the gremlins kicked in. It would drop the signal once or twice every minute as I was headed down the highway. It got to be such a nuisance that I shut it off. The following day, it performed perfectly again during daylight hours... BTW, when the camera was working after dark, it was almost useless because the headlights of cars behind me pretty much overwhelmed the camera.

Does anybody have a theory about why this camera would keep cutting out once it got dark?

Alien life forms
    Zombies
    Black helicopters
    NSA wiretapping
    Secret agents working for Forest River

I can't imagine a reason why the RF frequency between the camera transmitter and the monitor receiver would weaken after dark.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Does anybody have a theory about why this camera would keep cutting out once it got dark?
    The NSA drones that are always following you are using LIDAR and radar at night, clobbering the camera's signals.

Jim is it wired into the marker lights for power? If so I'm flummoxed - the circuit should be similarly-powered whenever the lights are on, day or night.

However if it is wired into another circuit that might be more-strained at night by other loads on it, maybe the camera is struggling to get reliable steady power. Or, its radio signal is getting clobbered by something else that has a radio signal, something that you're using only at night.

Wild-assed guesses. Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Jim is it wired into the marker lights for power? If so I'm flummoxed - the circuit should be similarly-powered whenever the lights are on, day or night.

However if it is wired into another circuit that might be more-strained at night by other loads on it, maybe the camera is struggling to get reliable steady power. Or, its radio signal is getting clobbered by something else that has a radio signal, something that you're using only at night.

It is wired into an interior lighting circuit and powered by a switch. Since those interior lights are off while we're traveling, I can't envision a power loss. Hmmm.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I am going with Alien life forms , I do not believe in that other nonsense about black helicopters , zombies and secret agents ,hogwash I say....

I have our camera wired to the marker lights and only in a few places where there are "radio black out" I have lost signal. We have not traveled at night so I can not help there. I wonder if the circuit you are wired to on the inside has a loose connection some where that you do not notice while camping but is coming thru on the camera. This would make a little sense but it should do it all of the time not just at night.
        I also can not remember if the camera has some sort of night vision , if this is failing it may cause the issue.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So I normally get pretty good performance out of this camera. I took a trip last week, and it performed flawlessly during daytime hours. It never dropped the signal. But after the sun set, the gremlins kicked in. It would drop the signal once or twice every minute as I was headed down the highway. It got to be such a nuisance that I shut it off. The following day, it performed perfectly again during daylight hours... BTW, when the camera was working after dark, it was almost useless because the headlights of cars behind me pretty much overwhelmed the camera.

Alien life forms
          Zombies
          Black helicopters
          NSA wiretapping

I can't imagine a reason why the RF frequency between the camera transmitter and the monitor receiver would weaken after dark.

Jim
          Jim - You anywhere near Roswell by chance? Or did your flux capacitor give out?

While I have not tested it on the road yet I changed out my dinky antenna for this. Others have said it works. Furrion customer service can probably help too, I had a good experience talking to them.
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It gave me at least 1to 2 bars better on the monitor. I just glued (silicone) the base to the roof above the camera and added silicone in the antenna joint so it would not bend. It was a direct fit on the existing antenna mount. But getting the existing antenna off is a bear. They used lock tight - it will take an extra set of plires to hold the locking nut. I can get you a picture if needed.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

TucsonJim , is this the Vision or the Vision S system? (Vision S is the current product)

I have the Vision S system (the newer one) and I can get about 1000-1500 feet before I lose the signal. (I sometimes forget to unplug the display unit when I leave the campsite, and it usually stays sync'd up till i exit the campground)
            Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Alien life forms
              Zombies
              Black helicopters
              NSA wiretapping

Jim
              Jim,

I did run into this issue and it turned out the be the battery switch. The original switch did not have a proper detent while in the on position. The slightest vibration while traveling would open the connection. For this issue, cooler temperatures at night could change the way the switch makes or breaks contact. I solved the problem with my switch by installing an exact replacement from Sierra which has a very strong detent to keep it engaged. The after dark issue may also indicate lifeforms from another planet that are simply sucking power from those lithium batteries under the cloak of darkness.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X