Water Heater cold water hose fitting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater cold water hose fitting.

I was doing my usual inspections and checking behind the water heater. This hose does not look good and I fear with up coming travel, that crimp will loosen. Would like to take care of this before we take off next month. Can someone confirm if this is the right brass fitting to order?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XPTQG1EBE&th=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	53E9B7AD-39C5-4653-9CBC-FCDBDEC348F4.jpeg
Views:	649
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	45653

I will also get a new hose as soon as I figure out where it attaches to on the other side.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

I believe it is a swivel 90, but cant tell from the pictures. If not you have the correct one. Home Depot /Lowe's has them in their brass fittings stock. The other end most likely goes to your Nautilus panel. I'm sure others know more than I do.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Beachcamper
      Hi Vivian,

That is a classic “about to fail” soft hose. The best (and most permanent) solution would be to replace this hose with Pex pipe.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Beachcamper
        Hi Vivian,

That is a classic “about to fail” soft hose. The best (and most permanent) solution would be to replace this hose with Pex pipe.

Rob
        Yes, I plan to replace that hose with Pex Rob. I wish GD would have used pex throughout. Loews and HD are about an hour away, just wondering if that fitting linked is correct for the WH? Do you know? Or just leave the plastic one and reuse it.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper
          Hi Vivian,

Rob
          Beachcamper

Rob is correct. If you go to Pex pipe you can uses Shark Bite fittings to make the job easier. If you go this way be sure to pick up a fitting release tool. https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...0LFA/202270514 https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...710A/100638139
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda, I do have a crimping tool and crimps. Are those shark bite fittings better than crimps? Definitely going with Pex.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Yes, I plan to replace that hose with Pex Rob. I wish GD would have used pex throughout. Loews and HD are about an hour away, just wondering if that fitting linked is correct for the WH? Do you know? Or just leave the plastic one and reuse it.
              The linked fitting looks correct. It is difficult to tell for sure from the picture. I would be inclined to not mess with the fitting . . . just replace the hose with Pex.

Rob

Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks guys! Appreciate your time to reply. For reference, here is the same hose 2 years ago when I replaced the check valve on top. Too bad it was not replaced with Pex.

Click image for larger version  Name:	217CA47F-2470-4A2C-A980-94AF1ED6C201.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	21.1 KB ID:	45662

Name:	image_7194.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	45663
                Last edited by Beachcamper; 03-10-2021, 11:31 PM.
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

Yoda, I do have a crimping tool and crimps. Are those shark bite fittings better than crimps? Definitely going with Pex.
                  I too have the Pex the rings & crimps and sometimes I have trouble getting a good crimp at times (hand strength) . With the shark bite you can take the fitting apart if needed. No issues so far using both. One think I have found is the plastic barb fittings to get brittle over time and had them break. I keep the brass ones on hand. There is one thing strange in your photo. Top fitting is a swivel, bottom is not and probably could be a straight fitting too. Was it replaced at some point? My water heater has swivel at both locations if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I too have the Pex the rings & crimps and sometimes I have trouble getting a good crimp at times (hand strength) . With the shark bite you can take the fitting apart if needed. No issues so far using both. One think I have found is the plastic barb fittings to get brittle over time and had them break. I keep the brass ones on hand. There is one thing strange in your photo. Top fitting is a swivel, bottom is not and probably could be a straight fitting too. Was it replaced at some point? My water heater has swivel at both locations if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps
                    For now will keep using the crimp tool I have. It does take some strength but I have been able to make it work for a few projects. That top plastic elbow is stock, I did replace the check valve from plastic to brass 2 years ago. Looking at picture again, the white plastic elbows look to be the same to me. Going to head your advice and buy some more of those fittings just in case.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

The linked fitting looks correct. It is difficult to tell for sure from the picture. I would be inclined to not mess with the fitting . . . just replace the hose with Pex.

Rob

Rob, thank you again for posting this plumbing parts PDF it was handy to have that along when I went to Lowe’s yesterday. I also went ahead and purchased the plug and cap to have in hand to isolate a line for repairs. Could not find the female swivel fitting but will keep looking somewhere else. For now having the cap and plug will be nice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C8B16BCC-C319-4378-BCA8-CE52374777F0.png Views:	0 Size:	866.7 KB ID:	45763

Question to you, I went ahead and purchased 10’ of Pex to replace the hot water soft hose. Should I do this now or just keep hose monitored? It looks fine for now just concerned about disturbing even more at the back of the Nautilus. But it is not impossible to do.

Last edited by Beachcamper; 03-12-2021, 10:36 AM.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Finished changing out cold intake soft hose to PEX. I do not wish this on my worst enemy as it requires 2 people and working in very tight space, freaking out about disturbing the rats nest behind the nautilus and sometimes uncooperative crimps that won’t open. But it’s done, no leaks for last 24 hours will keep monitoring. Decided against doing the hot intake hose it looks fine for now.

Name:	557588D8-C90E-4B08-989C-864A353EF60C.jpeg
Views:	436
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	45911

The PEX has a limited flex I decided to extend out of the Nautilus as shown with red arrow so that I could run to intake shown above using a brass L fitting. Hopefully this is OK? I did support this with cable ties to adjacent lines that would prevent stress when traveling. I don’t like that the fittings are above the water pump wires. I plan to tuck them inside the foam pipe insulation after I finish with monitoring. Pipe insulation is to quiet water pump lines, it mostly works but not 100% quieter.

Name:	E4E4F24E-B008-4359-9149-A17DEF7A9115.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	45912
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

I think it was Rob that had a nice setup on his pump. He added a layer of isolation using isolation dampers and plywood, then used what looked like washing machine hoses to plumb the pump into the system. Washing machine hoses are readily available at almost any big box or local hardware store if something should happen.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Finished changing out cold intake soft hose to PEX. I do not wish this on my worst enemy as it requires 2 people and working in very tight space, freaking out about disturbing the rats nest behind the nautilus and sometimes uncooperative crimps that won’t open. But it’s done, no leaks for last 24 hours will keep monitoring. Decided against doing the hot intake hose it looks fine for now.
                            Hi Vivian,

The repair looks good . . . this is probably now the best part of the whole plumbing system LOL! There is still a lot of soft hose in those pictures!

If the soft hose bends around something, don't be concerned about adding elbows to the replacement Pex run to route it securely and neatly. I added a lot of elbows in my complete plumbing system rebuild (mostly to get the water lines out of the necessary furnace removal path) and was quite surprised that this made almost no difference to water flow at the faucets. I also added threaded plumbing connections to every device (water heater, accumulator tank, water pump, etc) so that anything can be removed without tools, if need be for service. This also made little or no difference to water flow.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Vivian,

The repair looks good . . . this is probably now the best part of the whole plumbing system LOL! There is still a lot of soft hose in those pictures!

If the soft hose bends around something, don't be concerned about adding elbows to the replacement Pex run to route it securely and neatly. I added a lot of elbows in my complete plumbing system rebuild (mostly to get the water lines out of the necessary furnace removal path) and was quite surprised that this made almost no difference to water flow at the faucets. I also added threaded plumbing connections to every device (water heater, accumulator tank, water pump, etc) so that anything can be removed without tools, if need be for service. This also made little or no difference to water flow.

Rob
                              Rob, I am relieved you approve of my Pex repair. I will tackle the soft hose one at a time it is daunting. Still don’t know how to route the shower hoses if ever I needed to. I was on the other forum and saw many of your posts but none of the PDF’s you had posted with pictures of all you previous mods don’t come up. If you ever decide to go into business modifying people’s GD plumbing fiasco, you would be rich! LOL!

I have a question for you regarding the parts to isolate plumbing kit. I can’t find the MPT plug only NPT, is this for isolating toilet if there was a leak?

Click image for larger version  Name:	5B2603C5-33CC-4044-9878-248D986F8AE9.png Views:	0 Size:	866.7 KB ID:	45936
                              Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                              X