Interfacing with the OneControl system via CANBUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interfacing with the OneControl system via CANBUS

New 397THR, and I am seeing a lot LOT of lag in the scfeen and controls. I have a lot of experience in home (and RV) automation, so I am looking to interface with the CANBUS to see what is going on and see if it can be interfaced in a more efficient way.

My intent is to put a Raspberry Pi onto the bus, and monitor the control messages. The Pi will run socketbus, Node Red, and Home Assistant. My intent is NOT to control any of the moving parts, but to extend things like lights, etc. In my previous GD, I had a bunch of very automations that I now need to recreate - and this seems like the best place to make it more robust.

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

Bob
    ==============
    Grand Design RV National Owners’ Rally: http://www.gdrvnationalrally.com
    Grand Design RV Mid-Atlantic Owners’ Rally: http://www.gdmarally.com
    Current GDRV: 2023 Solitude 391-DLR, Midnight FBP
    Previous GDRV's: 2016 Solitude 375RE, 2021 Momentum 397TH-R
    No tow vehicle!

Originally posted by bob View Post
    Anyone have any experience?
    WRingling is one member that may be able to help. His project is not specifically geared around the OneControl, but he is integrating a Pi in his setup. Check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ur-2019-337rls

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

WRingling is one member that may be able to help. His project is not specifically geared around the OneControl, but he is integrating a Pi in his setup. Check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ur-2019-337rls

Howard
      Thanks! I have a similar setup, and I know what I am looking for is more than 99.99% of all owners would be asking, but i have to try

==============
      No tow vehicle!

Comment

Thanks! I have a similar setup, and I know what I am looking for is more than 99.99% of all owners would be asking, but i have to try
        It is something I'm very interested in, Bob. Learning Python and working with a Pi is on my "To Do" list. (Actually taking a Python course at work.) I've done some work in Visual Basic, and programming in Microsoft Access, Word and Excel so the concepts are not foreign to me.

ncitro may chime in, too. He actually programmed a separate unit to mimic a Victron CCGX. The Venus operating system he worked with is completely different, but I suspect he's another individual that may be interested in what you're contemplating.

Howard

P.S. I assume this is the same Bob I messaged on Facebook regarding a 3D printer? If you've created anything for your camper with your printer, I'm sure there's a slew of "geeks" on this forum that would love to read what you've done.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I’ve been following but unfortunately not too much help. I’ve never done anything with CANBUS, and my unit does not have a one Control. That said our next rig will someday be a Solitude so I’ll definitely find it relevant. Keep us updated I’ll be really curious what you end up with. The implementation of the current system seems to leave a lot to be desired, but if the control signals are there and the user interface could be replaced with something better that would be great.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I've been looking at integrating more Pie in my camping experiences too . Apple, Cherry, Key Lime!!

In all seriousness, I know just enough of what you're talking about to geek out about it. Definitely want to follow up on a detailed breakdown of what you're able to accomplish. My imagine doesn't have the touch screen interface of your fancy rigs, but still has the modern OneControl component that enables bluetooth connectivity. It'd be (overkill) a dream to integrate a more simplistic mobility of some switches. Like having the "Power V" (as I like to call it) LED lights in the front cap switched from the system (wireless switch maybe?) instead of by the physical switch in the pass-through.
            2021 Imagine 2970RL
            2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

It is something I'm very interested in, Bob. Learning Python and working with a Pi is on my "To Do" list. (Actually taking a Python course at work.) I've done some work in Visual Basic, and programming in Microsoft Access, Word and Excel so the concepts are not foreign to me.

ncitro may chime in, too. He actually programmed a separate unit to mimic a Victron CCGX. The Venus operating system he worked with is completely different, but I suspect he's another individual that may be interested in what you're contemplating.

Howard

P.S. I assume this is the same Bob I messaged on Facebook regarding a 3D printer? If you've created anything for your camper with your printer, I'm sure there's a slew of "geeks" on this forum that would love to read what you've done.
              Yup, pretty sure we have been in touch over on FB - I am in the DIY RV group there as well

I would suggest that you look at Node-Red for the Pi - it is a FANTASTIC visual programming interface, I do some crazy stuff with it for other purposes - i am planning on using it to overlay the CANBus interface to be a a CANBUS to MQTT bridge . If successful, this would allow me to do just about anything with just about any application - so you can imagine I am pretty stoked to try it out.

I just upgraded from a 2016 Solitude to a 2021 Momentum, so I am starting from scratch. My setup in my Solitude was entirely DIY - there was no automation, no control panel nothing. So now I need to figure out how to get my control back My rig is also located on a seasonal site, which means I can only work on it when I am there until I get remote access set up - so this might be a lengthy process. That said, I am hoping to have the discipline to record all of what I am doing so that others can benefit as well.

ALL of it will be "AT YOUR OWN RISK"
              ==============
              No tow vehicle!

Comment

Just a quick update on the RV-C Bridge - I was able to get the hardware for the interface (a Raspberry Pi and a CANBus hardware hat) up and running, and have been able to send and receive test CAN messages through the hardware inteface. Additionally, the CAN interfaces are now working in the visual programmer (Node-Red) which will allow me to decode the messages received on the bus, as well as send my own. I have MQTT installed as well, so I can start integrateing other platforms into the architecture - I am hoping to install Home Assistant as the ultimate controller once the platform bugs are ironed out... Since the RV-C protocol is published, I should be able to get this working pretty easily, once I get down to my RV and get the bridge installed...
                ==============
                No tow vehicle!

Comment

Very cool. I have been using Hubitat in my home so it's cool see some of the home automation stuff brought to the RV.
                  Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                  2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                  2020 Momentum 351M
                  2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

howson Do you have any of the Lippert training materials on the One Control? I am hoping for better pinout information and any insight you might have - thanks!
                    ==============
                    No tow vehicle!

Comment

bob
                      I have a dozen or more in my Calibre library, but nothing that isn't available on LCI's website (unfortunately).

Look for a PM I'll send momentarily.

Howard

Comment

Well, the hardware is going to be installed tonight or tomorrow...

This is a Raspberry Pi 3+, with a CANBUS hat. It is in a 3d printed mount (I will make a nicer one once I know that the solution works). It is small enough to fit into the compartment already opened for access to the X4 board, I will just mount it to an adjacent wood support. Two power wires connect to the hat and also power the board. I created two CAN bus cables using molex connectors, with taps in them to allow me to interface with the X4 Unity board's CAN bus ports without having to cut into anything. This setup allows me to ensure I don't have to cut any wires, etc. I am insrtalling a Pepwave wireless gateway to replace the Wineguard/LCI one that will allow me to add the unit to the MyRV network with a lot more control.

NodeRed is being used to interface with the different buses and for the time being it will be only in monitor mode. Eventually it will hopefully also send commands.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by bob; 04-08-2021, 10:14 AM.
                        ==============
                        No tow vehicle!

Comment

bob ,
                          I'd enjoy seeing a video of this in action! Lot to ask (time consuming to make a video) but if possible when you get time please post one.

Howard

P.S. At some point we'll meet in person on the road and you'll have to do a "show and tell". (I called dibs first, Yoda , so you'll have to get in line. )

Comment

howson no worries man - if things go the way I hope, tonight I will have some tidbits to show you, assuming I don't bring down the bus LOL. Once the system is up and running properly, I plan to have a remote switch attached to the power for this so that I can kill the interfaces if necessary (between the bridge and the bus).

The bigger fun is going to be how to build the MQTT topic structure. Once that is figured out, then it us all good from there

I would like to have a "I am leaving" button again, which sets the alarm, checks that all the doors and vents are closed, etc. If anyone has any input on what that should look like, I'm open to suggestions

Bob

==============
                            No tow vehicle!

Comment

howson no worries man - if things go the way I hope, tonight I will have some tidbits to show you, assuming I don't bring down the bus LOL. Once the system is up and running properly, I plan to have a remote switch attached to the power for this so that I can kill the interfaces if necessary (between the bridge and the bus).

The bigger fun is going to be how to build the MQTT topic structure. Once that is figured out, then it us all good from there

I would like to have a "I am leaving" button again, which sets the alarm, checks that all the doors and vents are closed, etc. If anyone has any input on what that should look like, I'm open to suggestions

Bob
                              Question - how do you intend on monitoring doors/vents/etc? On our 2021 376THS-R, the Maxxair vents are not integrated into the OneControl setup. I run a RPI with a custom app by Jeremy Gulick that opens the interface up to Apple Homekit. I had a similar desire as you - be able to hit one button or tell siri I am leaving, and everything shuts down. Here are some screenshots of the Scene that I created. Essentially is the last thing I do before we hit the road. This setup works very well.
                              Attached Files
                              Current: 2023 Grand Design Momentum 395MS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump, Fosgate, etc.

Truck: 2015 F350 DRW Platinum - Black.

Previous: 2021 Grand Design Momentum 376THS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X