X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by FireCpl View Post
    Probably a little late here, but we just took delivery on our Momentum 381m if February with a Furrion unit. I noticed some of you thinking GD should have a recall. By April our dealer informed us that there indeed was a recall pertaining to discoloration caused by the convection unit. Dealer said they installed a metal plate behind the unit. At this time, I have not investigated as we have not used the convection. Maybe check with you dealer or the repair shop you use and ask them about this.

Just adding my 2 cents.
    For clarification, GD issued a "Customer Satisfaction Program" to alleviate concerns with the charring. There was no recall. There's a significant difference in the meaning between the two phrases/terms! If curious, please search for forum for related information--lots of threads and posts on the topic.

Leave a comment:

• FireCpl
    replied
    Probably a little late here, but we just took delivery on our Momentum 381m if February with a Furrion unit. I noticed some of you thinking GD should have a recall. By April our dealer informed us that there indeed was a recall pertaining to discoloration caused by the convection unit. Dealer said they installed a metal plate behind the unit. At this time, I have not investigated as we have not used the convection. Maybe check with you dealer or the repair shop you use and ask them about this.

Just adding my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• SWBailey
    replied
    Pardon the delay. Amazon comes through again with new door latch assembly per link earlier in this thread. Installed with oven in place. Added some lube to the latch ports and it all works slick. No blown fuses since. We are also careful to manually stop the power cycle or let it time out before opening the door.
    Thanx to links and great folks in our forums.

Leave a comment:

• SWBailey
    replied
    Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
    We have the Furrion in our unit and after all of the posts in the past and including this one as well as the new one from lobsters I went out and removed ours just for a precautionary measure. I did not find anyting that would resemble any melting or burning that has been depicted here. I realize that this has neo relevance to this discussion but wanted to add this. We do not use ours very much , maybe 10 times a year or so. I will keep an eye on it if usage does grow.
    Does this mean Furrion microwaves do not have this problem?, I am not sure.
    My guess would be that the "flux capacitor" is located right on the back wall of the microwave thus generating a large amount of heat in a small area. A new different brand a microwave may be in order to solve this issue, or a call to microwave manufacture to see what there thoughts are.

Brian
    Plutonium is required to properly operate the Flux Capacitor. You folks must have this different power source behind your converter panel. I am trying to convert to dilithium crystals but they are rare and expensive. Additionally, the mini-reactor needs good shielding and cooling. More weight in the coach, just what I don't need. I may just go with solar until I can find a dependable alternate source. In the meantime my Furrion conv/micro just blows fuses. Parts on order.

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied
    We have the Furrion in our unit and after all of the posts in the past and including this one as well as the new one from lobsters I went out and removed ours just for a precautionary measure. I did not find anyting that would resemble any melting or burning that has been depicted here. I realize that this has neo relevance to this discussion but wanted to add this. We do not use ours very much , maybe 10 times a year or so. I will keep an eye on it if usage does grow.
    Does this mean Furrion microwaves do not have this problem?, I am not sure.
    My guess would be that the "flux capacitor" is located right on the back wall of the microwave thus generating a large amount of heat in a small area. A new different brand a microwave may be in order to solve this issue, or a call to microwave manufacture to see what there thoughts are.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    It does not appear to me that this heat transfer has anything to do with the exhaust air flow . . . whether this is inside or outside the trailer as long as it is one or the other.
    The heat measurement of the unit itself on the workbench is a good idea.

If I were trying to solve this. I would try inserting a heat isolating baking sheet (or part of one) between the microwave and the wall.
    See attached.

Rob
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• lobsters
    replied
    Originally posted by GaryBro View Post
    Just found this on Amazon and think I will order it - just to be safe. https://www.amazon.com/Team-Performa...s%2C303&sr=8-3
    I know this is old, but I'd be wary of relying on this. It is designed for radiant heat, and we're so close to the wall that it may be more conductive. Not sure how it will protect from that.

Leave a comment:

• GDRV-Emily
    replied
    Originally posted by Hwktlg8 View Post
    GDRV-Emily have you had a chance to talk with anyone technical regarding my post directly above?
    Hwktlg8 i have relayed all info to our team, however, the info I posted is the info that I am consistently provided by all upper management. I am sorry if that is not what you want to hear. I can tel you that they are always looking in to this type of thing when they see it reported... but what was stated is where we stand on our answers and solutions.

Leave a comment:

• GaryBro
    replied
    Just found this on Amazon and think I will order it - just to be safe. https://www.amazon.com/Team-Performa...s%2C303&sr=8-3

Leave a comment:

• Hwktlg8
    replied
    GDRV-Emily have you had a chance to talk with anyone technical regarding my post directly above?

Leave a comment:

• Hwktlg8
    replied
    Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
    In the matter of discoloration behind the High Point Microwave/Convection oven, it was determined by the vendor that when the unit is used for extended periods of time, exhaust can discolor the vinyl wall board but does not become hot enough to result in combustion.
    Emily- how do you/GD explain the “discoloration” and the melted wall paper that is stuck to the back of the microwave when there is no exhaust gasses exiting the back of the microwave. Our model as shown in the pictures directly vents/exhausts back into the rig from the front through a charcoal filter. No exhaust vents are present on the back of the microwave. Again I pulled this microwave to check for and found the burns as noted. The microwave and convection fxns work perfectly and are used relatively infrequently. No indication of a faulty appliance and the venting out the front occurs without impedence/obstruction.

Moderator Edit: GDRV-Emily
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 10-23-2019, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hwktlg8
    replied
    That is a good plan. If i find some time this weekend I will try to go take it out and run both on convection and microwave functions. I do have a heat gun so will use that to measure

Leave a comment:

replied
    Ryan,

When your unit was removed, did you try to run it on a tabletop to see where the heat is coming from? I think some micros have better sealing diverters than others but we will not know until its ran outside the cabinet.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Hwktlg8
    replied
    Originally posted by howson View Post
    If installed as a non-vented unit with the exhaust coming out the front through a charcoal filter, how can the exhaust discolor the wall?
    This statement is 100% correct. Although our unit has the high pointe appliance, I too have gone through the installation manual to make sure there are no installation errors (need for minimum distance from walls/ airgaps ect). The exhaust in our unit and countless others is front direct venting exhaust that does not at all exhaust out the rear of the unit and would not have caused “wall discoloration”. If you look carefully at the images I posted the wall covering material is melted onto the back of the appliance back wall No where near any vents. Also look closely at the pictures of the charred wall and I would argue you can see charred wood (it is not discolored as if you run your finger across it you will pick ip carbon deposits ie soot.) and arguably a smoke trail the extends from the left burn area to the right as it rises superiorly.

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
    In the matter of discoloration behind the High Point Microwave/Convection oven, it was determined by the vendor that when the unit is used for extended periods of time, exhaust can discolor the vinyl wall board but does not become hot enough to result in combustion.
    The installation manual (see attachment below, page 20) that came with my Furrion FMCM15 unit makes it sound like a recirculating installation (non-vented, ductless) would have no exhaust leaving the back of the unit.

Furrion Over the Range Microwav - Furrion.pdf

If installed as a non-vented unit with the exhaust coming out the front through a charcoal filter, how can the exhaust discolor the wall?

Some units, like the FMCM17-BL, can be used in a ducted or non-vented installation. There's even a manual setting to ensure the fan is blowing in the correct orientation (see pic of page 16 below). If the owner has a unit like the FMCM17, wouldn't it be advisable to ensure the fan is set to the correct setting and that there's a charcoal filter installed? (The filter is referenced in the installation manual for non-ducted units.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	fan.JPG
Views:	887
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	5673

Leave a comment:

Working...
X