refrigerator smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refrigerator smell

made the mistake of leaving for a period of time and the trailer got unplugged somehow?
    got home to a refrig that been off for some time. We had some chicken in the freezer. Now we have have a wicked smell.
    Has any one had a similiar experience and how did you get rid of smell?

Not sure I can. The freezer now has a stain to it.

Thanks
    Jim
    Dara & Jim
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350
    Conway, SC

Originally posted by jamieline View Post
    made the mistake of leaving for a period of time and the trailer got unplugged somehow?
    got home to a refrig that been off for some time. We had some chicken in the freezer. Now we have have a wicked smell.
    Has any one had a similiar experience and how did you get rid of smell?

Not sure I can. The freezer now has a stain to it.

Thanks
    Jim
    No experience but perhaps soft scrub with bleach for the stain and a box of baking soda for the odor. (disclaimer: make sure and test the soft scrub on a small spot before using it full tilt to make sure it doesn't mess anything up.)

Terry
    Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
    2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Newspaper works, just crumple some sheets up and put them inside, then shut the doors for a day or too. I've read that charcoal will absorb the odor, but I have never tried it.

Comment

My house power was off for two months. Nasty smell. I've washed the refrigerator and freezer. Baking soda sort of worked. Vinegar put a vinegar smell over the rot smell. This Gonzo product seems to be working at removing vinegar and rot smell. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210816_173706.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	63667 It contains activated charcoal which is the key. I found it in Walmart pet department.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Today the smell is almost gone from my house refrigerator. It has been almost 2 1/2 weeks in the process, just for a time reference.
          The Norcold refrigerator in my Reflection has been serving well as my interim primary refrigerator.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Ted,

Thanks for the suggestions. With all the cleaning not sure I have knocked it down at all. I knew it would take a while but 3 weeks will be fun.
            Dara & Jim
            2016 Reflection 337RLS
            2014 F350
            Conway, SC

Comment

Originally posted by jamieline View Post
              Ted,

Thanks for the suggestions. With all the cleaning not sure I have knocked it down at all. I knew it would take a while but 3 weeks will be fun.
              We had ours get away from us once (thought the solar would keep up with the fridge use while in storage for a month in Florida). When we picked it up I opened it enough to see there was things moving EVERYWHERE in it (trying to keep it clean) and closed it again right away. I got power restored and let it run so it would cool down and kill everything. The next day I pulled it all apart and cleaned with a vengeance, but never got it to the point where it did not smell and always wondered if there was something crawling or an egg I missed inside somewhere. Long story short we pitched it and replaced it.

Mine was residential, so had a lot of nooks and crannies in the ducts I could not get to that the RV fridge will not have, but just something to keep in mind, it may not ever come clean.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
              X