No announcement yet.

Replacing the microwave 2021 297RSTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my 2017 297RSTS, I've pulled out the microwave twice. On mine, it was very simple, so I'm wondering if they changed the mounting method on your model year.

Here's how I tackled mine.

1. Remove all the interior items such as the turntable.
    2. Unplug the microwave in the adjoining cabinet.
    3. Remove the plastic grill over the microwave drawer.
    4. On mine, there were four screws that were drilled through the top flange of the microwave. I removed these.
    5. While removing the screws I referred to in step 4, I held the microwave in place. Then, when the screws were out, the microwave tilted down in the front while still being held on the mounting bracket in the back.
    6. Lift the microwave up in back to clear the mounting bracket and set it down.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by PineconeNW View Post
      Yes and yes, to back to the original post, removed the screws, will not come down. There is no cabinet above. Bolts do not go through the roof. Cross member must be glued to roof. Saturday I will use a crow bar and break it off.
      Before you tear into it, if you can wait a bit let's see if we can get a GD rep to chime in.

GDRV-Emily , GDRV-Megan or GDRV-Mariah -- can you have one of the Reflection team members (or factory service guys) take a look at this thread and advise how the microwave is removed in his 2021 297RSTS? It appears there are bolts holding it from the top but can't figure out how to access them.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Before you tear into it, if you can wait a bit let's see if we can get a GD rep to chime in.

GDRV-Emily , GDRV-Megan or GDRV-Mariah -- can you have one of the Reflection team members (or factory service guys) take a look at this thread and advise how the microwave is removed in his 2021 297RSTS? It appears there are bolts holding it from the top but can't figure out how to access them.

Howard
        I have asked our team and hopefully will get an answer on it soon!

Comment

I have some info. I apologize for the delay. They actually went out to the plant to see how this can work.

I have also added pictures

"Remove the 2 screws in the upper trim piece and that will give you access to the screws that are securing the microwave"

I hope this helps. If it does not, please tag me so that I may review and ask them more detailed information
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
            I have some info. I apologize for the delay. They actually went out to the plant to see how this can work.

I have also added pictures

"Remove the 2 screws in the upper trim piece and that will give you access to the screws that are securing the microwave"

I hope this helps. If it does not, please tag me so that I may review and ask them more detailed information
            Emily,
            Thank you for the pictures and description.

From the owners' pictures (post #12 and also added 1 below for your convenience) it looks like there's cosmetic trim covering the upper trim piece with the screws as shown in the pictures you provided.

How is the cosmetic piece attached--any way to remove it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	how.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	71915

PineconeNW -- hope you're still following along.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Still here. Not encouraging. The GD pictures are a little different than my camper. The GD plywood across the top is the same width as the oven or not as wide as the oven and I think that is why the screws are in a different place.
              Your observation regarding my trim piece is accurate in that I wanted to remove it and could not find attachment points.
              The screws in the GD picture do not look like they hold the unit up, they look to be going in horizontally, not into the roof.
              Emily, you might want to scroll up to the original pictures which show where the screws go up through the cross member into the roof.
              PineconeNW
              Reflection 297RSTS 2021
              Chevrolet K2500 Duramax LBZ 2007
              https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Comment

Still here. Not encouraging. The GD pictures are a little different than my camper. The GD plywood across the top is the same width as the oven or not as wide as the oven and I think that is why the screws are in a different place.
                Your observation regarding my trim piece is accurate in that I wanted to remove it and could not find attachment points.
                The screws in the GD picture do not look like they hold the unit up, they look to be going in horizontally, not into the roof.
                Emily, you might want to scroll up to the original pictures which show where the screws go up through the cross member into the roof.
                when sent over to the reflection team, I did provide the pics. The info they sent is from that OP.

i have sent howson picture over and asked.

Please be patient as I wait their reply

Comment

OK, so what we are being told is that you do NOT remove that piece of wood. There are 3 screws that hold the microwave up that are located BEHIND that piece. There should be some space, or a void between the wood and the micro. Those 3 screws SHOULD be up in that void area.

I hope this makes sense.

Comment

PineconeNW howson Mine is mounted to the plywood as shown in Emily's pics, and has three screws that are easily accesssable. I wish that we could also see the mounting base in a similar model without the microwave. From looking, I wonder if that trim piece also holds the microwave from moving forward and the plywood rests on mounts on the side. As for that trim piece, is it just trim or actually structural and removing it may cause the bedroom TV to fall down?
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

ThePowells (Jerry) -- from Pinecone's picks it sure looks like that trim is right up against the face of the microwave. What I'd try is inserting a plastic (auto) trim removal tool between the two and see if I could gently pry the two apart far enough to find the screws. The screws have to be there -- the hard part is gaining access without destroying the decorative trim.

Comment

howson

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_10785.jpg Views:	55 Size:	147.1 KB ID:	71191

If you look closely at the trim piece I see two nail holes filled with putty. (left top of trim) So the trim should just pop forward. However the top wall trim will also probably need to be removed (top left) so the trim piece can come out. So look closely to the top trim and find out where they placed the fasteners and try to gently pry the top trim piece forward. I would use a flexible steel putty knife as the tool.

Just my thought on this. All the trim in my unit is applied this way - with pin nails and holes puttied.

Keith
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I don't have access to our 303 right now, and have never removed the microwave. But looking at the picture, it almost (big stretch here) looks like there is a bit of damage on the back side of the trim piece. This might indicate that someone used a long #2 Robertson to install screws through the small gap between the trim and the microwave. Part of this is based on the way several other things in previous units have been installed. At one time when doing custom wood work, I had a 2", 3", 6" 8" and 12" bits along with an 18" extension for reaching into places no one should be putting their hands.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Ya know what?? I don't think I see any S2 screws through the case, but there are screws through the "plate" above. Also, there is a piece of 2X3 spacer between the case and plate where the large screws are.
                            Maybe PineconeNW can back all of the screws out a bit, or put a support under the front and see if those are the screws are the ones that support the microwave.
                            Also looking at Emily's pics and the one Joesph jlawson75 mentioned, the staples, brads, or whatever they used to mount it would fasten to square piece on the front of the plate.
                            To bad Pinecone doesn't live in Pinetops or I'd run down there and try to look eyes on and try to help.
                            Last edited by ThePowells; 12-07-2021, 10:09 PM.
                            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                            Nash County, NC
                            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Will drive over to the yard Saturday or Sunday and tear into it. Will take pictures. Will take Yoda's advice and take putty knives and other thin tools and see how gentle I can be. Will also take the pry bar. I still think it is glued to the roof. Wish I was retired. I previously took out all the screws I could find and 230 pounds could not pull it out or down.
                              PineconeNW
                              Reflection 297RSTS 2021

Comment

Name:	IMG_3987.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	72311

Name:	IMG_3985.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	72312
                                Attached Files
                                PineconeNW
                                Reflection 297RSTS 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X