Remote Power Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Power Switch

My camper is parked and plugged into the detached garage. I don't have a need to leave the camper plugged in all the time, especially during winter, but didn't want to go the garage and plug and unplug the camper occasionally to charge the battery or get ready for a trip. I ended up with a Sonoff POWR3 WiFi switch that I hard wired inline to the plug for the camper. It is 110v and rated at 25 amps, I don't have a need for 30 amps at home. Now I can leave the camper plugged in and can turn the plug in the garage on and off from the internet. I could even ask Alexa to do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	518Uf1OaFhL._SX342_.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	77548

I also have a EasyTouch RV thermostat installed and attached to a WiFi repeater in the camper. Now I can turn on the camper main power, then turn on the thermostat from anywhere and have the camper cooled off to pack for a trip.

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	77549

Next will be a smart plug for the refrigerator so I can turn that on a day or so before packing for a trip.

Originally posted by Fear Knot View Post
    My camper is parked and plugged into the detached garage. I don't have a need to leave the camper plugged in all the time, especially during winter, but didn't want to go the garage and plug and unplug the camper occasionally to charge the battery or get ready for a trip. I ended up with a Sonoff POWR3 WiFi switch that I hard wired inline to the plug for the camper. It is 110v and rated at 25 amps, I don't have a need for 30 amps at home. Now I can leave the camper plugged in and can turn the plug in the garage on and off from the internet. I could even ask Alexa to do it.

Name:	518Uf1OaFhL._SX342_.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	77548

I also have a EasyTouch RV thermostat installed and attached to a WiFi repeater in the camper. Now I can turn on the camper main power, then turn on the thermostat from anywhere and have the camper cooled off to pack for a trip.

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	77549

Next will be a smart plug for the refrigerator so I can turn that on a day or so before packing for a trip.
    Wow - all that is over my head. One thing to remember with the unit not plunged in and even thought you turn everything off there are still parasitic draws on the battery from the CO and propane detectors and possibly the radio to save settings. This can kill a battery in a few days. Now if you come up with a way to disconnect the battery with a WIFI switch your all set. As a complement you are way beyond me in this new fangle WIFI stuff. I guess I am old school with hard switches and just unplugging stuff .

Now there are others here ncitro that will be drooling about where you are going with this Instead of a smart house you will have a smart RV Now if you ever get around to automatic parking let me know

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The 12v shut off is an excellent thought. That should be easy with another WiFi switch.

I used to have a boat before the camper and they are working on automatic docking. Computers on the boat read sensors on the dock and bring the boat in for a safe landing. If they can work that, my RV may not be too far behind.

Comment

I think a relay on the battery for a main disconnect is a no go. You need the battery for everything while towing (brake away is #1) and would not want that to get disconnected.

If you were to do it, something like a 120V coil to close the contacts parallel to a main battery disconnect would be the way I did it. That way when you activated the main power relay, it kicked in the battery at the same time.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

That is cool stuff Fear Knot. Another idea for the battery could be to disconnect the battery from the trailer, and connect it to an auxiliary smart charger that automatically resumes when AC power is restored. Then plug that charger into an AC outlet on the trailer, which will turn on and off based on your WiFi smart plug you installed for the whole trailer.

It'll be an extra step to reconnect when heading out, but it may not be a big deal for long term winter storage.
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Great thoughts. I have a factory battery disconnect switch now. With that off while towing there is power to the breakaway switch. I think replacing that disconnect switch would be the way to go.
            Conversely with that disconnect switch off I will check to see if the battery charges with the switch off. If not then a plug in smart charger would work great. I like the idea of a smart charger with 8 levels of charging and reconditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Fear Knot View Post
              Great thoughts. I have a factory battery disconnect switch now. With that off while towing there is power to the breakaway switch. I think replacing that disconnect switch would be the way to go.
              Conversely with that disconnect switch off I will check to see if the battery charges with the switch off. If not then a plug in smart charger would work great. I like the idea of a smart charger with 8 levels of charging and reconditioning.
              Certainly confirm for yourself, but I believe toggling the battery disconnect also impacts the ability to charge the battery. IE, 'north bound' of the switch is any critical like the breakaway switch or LP detector, and 'south bound' is everything else including the DC converter connection.
              2019 Imagine 2400BH
              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Working...
              X