12v Furrion fridge not working, new XLS 22 MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v Furrion fridge not working, new XLS 22 MLE

Picked up our new XLS 22 MLE in Dec 2021. Our fist trip was to be this weekend. Last week I turned on the fridge to cool it down, checked it a couple hours later and was not cooling. The compressor would run for about 30 seconds and shut off. It would restart in a minute, run 30 seconds and shut off. You could hear it was building pressure and the fridge interior lights would begin to flicker just before it shut off. I checked it again a little later and the compressor was not running at all. The unit is plugged in, the battery voltage is 13.2 - 13.4v. The interior fridge light still works. Now the interior light will faintly flicker three times about every 30 seconds or so. Otherwise, nothing. Called the dealer, receptionist said she would have someone call be back. Three days later finally got a text. The best they could do is set an appointment in two weeks to look at it. I called Grand Design and they emailed Furrion and copied me. Unless someone knows a quick fix, it looks like our first trip is down the toilet.

This is the first RV we have owned. We have rented them several times over the years. We have recently retired and thought we would enjoy some RV travel. Needless to say, we are disappointed and beginning to have second thoughts about RV life.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 3.0 Diesel

tswartz1 -- which model refrigerator?

As you are learning, an RV is a "Project On Wheels" which is why I call mine "POW". I've yet to return (or prepare) to/from a trip without having to fix or attend to something. It's great if you need a hobby!

Seriously, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members as it may help you figure out this forum and why it exists: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,

Furrion fridge model # FCR10DCGTA-BL I posted hoping someone had already experienced this and knew the answer to the problem. I've read every post on the form regarding Ferrion 12v fridge's. When this is resolved, I will post the resolution for the next person.
      2022 Imagine XLS 22 MLE

Comment

tswartz1 -- OK, so that's the 10 cu ft model.

The only suggestion I have is to monitor battery voltage under load. What you can do is monitor the battery while someone else runs in (or out) the slide room. If that's possible, what is the voltage when the slide is moving?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

We have had some weird issues with ours as well. I would suggest removing the power source completely and waiting 10 minutes or so. Hook it back up and see what happens. The battery disconnect will not shut off the power to the fridge, you will need to unplug from your power source and and disconnect the battery.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. Battery voltage under load drops from 13.7 - 13.6 when I run the slide out. Brand new battery fully charged. I have not checked the voltage at the fridge, would need to remove it to do that.
            Canuckcamper, I was surprised to find the fridge is connected to the battery before the battery disconnect. The fridge has its own 30 amp blade fuse under the hitch near the electrical junction box The fridge is not connected to the inside breaker/fuse block. I pulled the 30 amp fuse, fridge light went out, waited 15+ minutes, reinserted the fuse. The fridge light comes on, the compressor does not start. I get three faint fridge light flickers and then nothing. The light flickers would indicate an electrical load or the compressor attempting to start until some sort of circuit protection kicks in.

I would guess there is a fan that circulates air through the coils under the fridge. Can anyone confirm they can feel air blowing from under the front of the fridge? I cannot feel air movement from under the fridge.
            Last edited by tswartz1; 04-20-2022, 10:02 AM.
            2022 Imagine XLS 22 MLE

Comment

tswartz1 -- that battery is good. Only other possibility (related to power) would be a splice / connection on either the power or ground wire (where the fridge is tied into the camper's wiring). The LED light draws very little power so a lousy connection would not affect it, but the power required to start a compressor would be affected. Of course that requires getting at the back of the fridge, but that's the last suggestion I have.

Hope it all works out.

Howard

Comment

Yes there is a fan that blows air out on the left side of the lower vent. Air intake is on the right side. The vent cover is easy to remove, 4 screws I think.

Comment

tswartz1 I got my Imagine dewinterized and up today. We have the same fridge I think. I turned it on this morning to test everything before going camping. I can also confirm that there is air blowing out from under the fridge.
                  Also to note, these are direct to battery with the 30A fuse. I can assist as needed, but have no suggestions as ours is working fine.
                  I am letting ours run 24 hours to find out what the draw is on battery only.
                  Dustin and Samantha
                  2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE
                  2021 Chevy Silverado - 3.0 Duramax - B&W Continuum

Comment

Progress follow up: Grand Design Customer service emailed Furrion about the fridge issues and copied me. Furrion replied with instructions to bypass the fuss in the back of the fridge and check. Furrion also sent instructions to replace the glass fuse with a blade fuse. I removed the fridge and found mine already had the blade type fuse. The fuse was fine. I replaced it anyway. Issues remain the same. Furrion should have know it was not the fuse because we explained the interior fridge light was on. When you remove the fuse the fridge interior light goes out. I would think Furrion would also have know mine had the blade type fuse as Grand Design emailed the the serial number of my fridge. Having access to the back I checked the voltage at the fridge. It was 13.7 and dropped to 13.5 when the fridge attempted to start. The small muffin fan that circulates air over the coils does not run either. I also noticed some gray soot on the compressor. I will try to attach a picture. Awaiting further direction from Furrion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220425_141641.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	83301
                    Attached Files
                    2022 Imagine XLS 22 MLE

Comment

tswartz1 -- thanks for the informative update. I can understand your frustration over the points you raised in the post. Look forward to reading what the resolution to the problem is--which I'm going to guess will be a new refrigerator.

Comment

I'm in the same situation as tswartz1. Purchased in November 2021 and immediately stored for winter. Got it out last weekend and de-winterized for a trip this weekend to get familiar with the unit. Have the same model fridge and it was the last thing to turn on while prepping for the trip but nothing is working! Not even the light. Was excited because of the size of the fridge and I thought Furrion had a better reputation. What a let down!! I contacted Grand Design today and they told me to go through the dealer which is kind of a joke. Once the sale is complete the dealer is not as responsive. Still waiting on a call back from dealer service advisor regarding next steps. I will be anxiously waiting for more info or possible remedy from this forum. Not a design that was well thought out! There is a cavity on the left side under the unit that would have been a great place for wire connections and or fuses. Would make things easier for maintenance.

Steve
                        Steve and Cheryl
                        2022 Imagine XLS, 22MLE
                        2020 Tundra

Comment

Stevie24 -- please keep this thread updated with your situation. Also, can you (please) enter the trailer's VIN in your profile? Directions are in the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Comment

Stevie24 - It seems yours is a bit different then mine. The interior fridge light has always worked on mine. You said your light doesn't work. Yours might by just a fuse. A heavy yellow 2 conductor wire with a green stripe runs from the fridge to the front of the camper. It connects to a 30 amp fuse holder which connects to the circuit breaker on the hitch next to the electrical box. Check the 30 amp fuse and confirm you have power in the fuse holder with a multimeter. The next fuse is a 15 amp in the back of the fridge. Fridge has to be removed to get to it. You may have a cartridge fuse holder with a glass fuse, old type, or a blade type fuse which is the new design. Check the 15 amp fuse. There is a video on YouTube that explains how to upgrade the fuse holder. This PDF will also help.
                            Attached Files
                            2022 Imagine XLS 22 MLE

Comment

Stevie24 Check your main fuse as tswartz1 recommended. With the light not working I would bet it is blown. I have heard that in situations where the batteries are low the fridge can try to draw too much current to make up for a lack of voltage and trip the fuse. As howson suggested fill out your profile with your VIN and your signature with your trailer type and we can try to help you find the fuse. On trailers it will be up on the tongue and in fifth wheels it should be in the front bay.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X