Dishwasher Drain Clogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher Drain Clogging

We’ve just taken delivery of a 390RK and the dealer installed a Fisher and Paykel drawer. At first all was well, but I have just dismantled the center island for a 3rd time in 3 weeks to blow out a blockage in the drain line. Seems to me that the 1/2 inch blue pipe that constitutes a drain is just not big enough to take the waste from the DW even when we are careful to scrape and rinse the dishes.
    anyone with any suggestions?

pwilkinson18 -- is the dishwasher physically capable of handling a larger drain line? How about an adapter (if the fitting is 1/2" on the dishwasher) to go up a size or two? Where (and how) does the drain line go into the trailer's waste system? (Please post a few pictures.)

Also--please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members. A few minutes of reading will help you get the most from your time here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I tried looking on-line to see if a Fisher and Payke DW has a grinder or garbage disposal built into it and didn't find anything definite. Maybe built into the discharge pump? There should be a grinder to reduce particles down to a size that fits through the 1/2" discharge line. If not, then a filter that I suspect would have to be constantly removed and cleaned.

Another possible problem would be too tight a bend in the discharge line. Even if the line doesn't look kinked, a tight bend can be restriction where particles can build up.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

My fiance and I just installed this last night and it is not draining unless we unhook the dishwasher tube from the blue drain line underneath. I am very interested to see what the solution that you found was!

Comment

pwilkinson18 Here are 3 ways that the installation manual says that the drain hose can be installed. Additionally, the manual has this troubleshooting help for water that remains inside the dishwasher: "Excessive water remaining above the filter plate, after the rinse cycle. (This is displayed as an A3 fault. See user guide ‘How to attend to a fault’) Check for a kinked drain hose, blocked or incorrectly drilled out waste connection, highloop not properly installed, drain hose not routed correctly or spray arm not in place."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dishwashe Drain 1_Page_20.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	130811 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dishwashe Drain 1_Page_21.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	130812 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dishwashe Drain 1_Page_22.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	130813 ​​
          Attached Files
          Pat and Karen
          2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

pwilkinson18 I forgot to add that when we installed ours I replaced the tailpiece coming down from the sink with one of these. I also attached the drain hose to the drain hose support on the back wall behind the sink then attached the end of the hose to the tailpiece.

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	130815
            Pat and Karen
            2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Hi,

This is a Bosch, but the connection is the same for all dishwashers. There is a small pump and a drain hose. In a house, the drain connects to the garbage disposal, but in an RV, it connects to the main sink drain. You can see the Bosch drain hose comes up, is connected with electrical tape to a hook on the bottom of the counter and then is connected to a "Y" to the main drain.

The top connection is important to create a trap. All plumbing has a trap to stop gas from escaping into the appliance.

You should have a similar connection. I have had no problems in three years with this system.

Best,

Charles

Name:	DW1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	130861 Click image for larger version

Name:	DW2.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	130862 Click image for larger version

Name:	DW3.jpg