Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion 16cu ft. 12V fridge (FCR16DCASA-SS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm of a different opinion. We love this fridge. We have traveled across the country with the fridge on the whole time without issue. It cools quickly. You don't have to be perfectly level like with an absorption type fridge. The elastic strap to hold the doors closed has worked perfectly. Easy to clean no fingerprint front panels. The fridge draws 1.8kwh a day. At the national average of 15.42 cents a kwh it costs 27.7cents a day to operate without solar. With the solar option from GD which we have the cost is probably more like 14 cents a day but that is just a guess. At the campground we stay at we have one of the lowest electric bills each month. The owner changed out our electric meter thinking it was defective. How this fridge would work out with extended boondocking I don't know. I suspect the line in the manual about traveling empty is liability concerns if stuff fell on you when you opened the doors or a glass bottle fell over and broke a glass shelf and has nothing to do with the mechanical operation.
    Tony
    2022 GD Reflection 337RLS
    2022 Ford F350 6.7 SRW LB

Comment

debmwb1 On The Fly

GDRV has been in communication with Furrion on these issues. Let me paraphrase the response.

Furrion made an error in the user manual. They stated it was fine to travel with food in the refrigerator. They intended to say heavy items should be removed before transport. There was no definition of "heavy items". But it makes sense that a person probably shouldn't try to transport a 20 pound frozen turkey on a shelf while traveling our roads. GDRV has asked Furrion to rewrite the user manual to change the current wording.

Furrion is also testing new ways to secure the doors. When I hear more on that I'll share.

In addition, GDRV is going to work around the low power shut off by wiring new rigs through the converter side so that instead of being wired direct, they will shut off if the battery disconnect is turned off. This will keep the refrigerator from seeing a low voltage shut off and turning off. Zero volts will not trigger this "feature". If a person does encounter the low voltage shut off, the solution is a hard reboot by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I'm new to the forum, we bought our GD reflection 303rls in march of 2022 have gone camping several times this year. When we get home, I always plug camper into shore power just so it doesn't get so hot and fridge runs without the solar. We try to go often enough we don't like to completely empty the fridge after each trip. Just got back from our last trip of the year and had an appointment at dealer to get some minor warranty things fixed, like cabinet latches, shades. Once I got it home and stored I plugged it in like normal, I checked fridge just to be sure and it didn't seem to be as cool as normal. It has been plugged in for a couple hours still not cooling, just hoping someone on here can give me an idea of what to check or do, thanks for any help

Comment

Originally posted by arkretiree View Post
          I'm new to the forum, we bought our GD reflection 303rls in march of 2022 have gone camping several times this year. When we get home, I always plug camper into shore power just so it doesn't get so hot and fridge runs without the solar. We try to go often enough we don't like to completely empty the fridge after each trip. Just got back from our last trip of the year and had an appointment at dealer to get some minor warranty things fixed, like cabinet latches, shades. Once I got it home and stored I plugged it in like normal, I checked fridge just to be sure and it didn't seem to be as cool as normal. It has been plugged in for a couple hours still not cooling, just hoping someone on here can give me an idea of what to check or do, thanks for any help
          As described by TucsonJim in the previous post, the refrigerator has gone into "low power mode". The only way to get it out of this mode (well, easily) is to unplug the trailer from shore power and disconnect the negative side of the battery. Turn off the refrigerator, too. Leave it like this for a bit (three minutes is more than sufficient).

Now reconnect the battery and reconnect shore power. Turn on the refrigerator and it should work normally.

If you're unsure how to disconnect the battery safely, ask a friend for help.

Also--welcome to the forum! Check out the Welcome Letter if you'd like to know more about us: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

[QUOTE=arkretiree;n97687]I'm new to the forum, we bought our GD reflection 303rls in march of 2022 have gone camping several times this year. When we get home, I always plug camper into shore power just so it doesn't get so hot and fridge runs without the solar. We try to go often enough we don't like to completely empty the fridge after each trip. Just got back from our last trip of the year and had an appointment at dealer to get some minor warranty things fixed, like cabinet latches, shades. Once I got it home and stored I plugged it in like normal, I checked fridge just to be sure and it didn't seem to be as cool as normal. It has been plugged in for a couple hours still not cooling, just hoping someone on here can give me an idea of what to check or do, thanks for any help[/QUOT

Are there dashes where the temperature displays? If so and you are in low power mode I would check to make sure the convertor is working properly since your not using the solar. Your battery voltage may have dropped too low causing your issue.
            Last edited by tdeperte; 10-21-2022, 08:55 AM.
            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              debmwb1 On The Fly

GDRV has been in communication with Furrion on these issues. Let me paraphrase the response.

Furrion is also testing new ways to secure the doors. When I hear more on that I'll share.

In addition, GDRV is going to work around the low power shut off by wiring new rigs through the converter side so that instead of being wired direct, they will shut off if the battery disconnect is turned off. This will keep the refrigerator from seeing a low voltage shut off and turning off. Zero volts will not trigger this "feature". If a person does encounter the low voltage shut off, the solution is a hard reboot by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Jim
              For the second time in less than a week, our Furrion refrigerator door was open and food was rolling around on the floor when we arrived at the campground! Flimsy, poorly designed plastic piece to hold the doors shut is no bueno.
              Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
              2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
              2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

Originally posted by tdeperte View Post
                ..... The elastic strap to hold the doors closed has worked perfectly.
                What elastic strap do you have to secure the doors?

Comment

Originally posted by jbt816 View Post
                  What elastic strap do you have to secure the doors?
                  At the top of the doors in the middle mounted to to the slide ceiling is a round elastic stretchy type strap. It hooks onto catches on top of the doors.
                  Tony

Comment

Originally posted by jbt816 View Post
                    For the second time in less than a week, our Furrion refrigerator door was open and food was rolling around on the floor when we arrived at the campground! Flimsy, poorly designed plastic piece to hold the doors shut is no bueno.
                    Have you tried using expansion rods inside the refrigerator? Since we have a residential and there's a vast amount of room inside, the DW rearranges the contents on travel day and holds it all in place with expansion rods on each level.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by tdeperte View Post

At the top of the doors in the middle mounted to to the slide ceiling is a round elastic stretchy type strap. It hooks onto catches on top of the doors.

I no gotta. I guess they didn't put those on the 303s

Originally posted by howson View Post

Have you tried using expansion rods inside the refrigerator? Since we have a residential and there's a vast amount of room inside, the DW rearranges the contents on travel day and holds it all in place with expansion rods on each level.
                      Yes we have those. Throwbacks to our Dometic fridges.

Comment

We cannot use solar where we dry camp so this would mean running the generator much more that we do at one hour per day.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

​Should I also contact Grand Design? We just got home after being gone for a week and our Furrion fridge came open 3 times during short drive times. The last time I ran 2 bungee cords across the doors and connected them to cabinet handles and it still opened and wouldn’t close (the bungees would’ve closed it) because the C channel kept the door from closing. The problem is the black plastic C channel pops off too easily. The second problem is that the doors should physically lock like a regular dometic unit.
                          Last edited by howson; 10-24-2022, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A9DAB02E-406C-4E1C-87F4-C3597A5BE44A.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	97989 Click image for larger version

Name:	B8E1F757-DF90-47F8-B518-21368B6CC734.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	97988 Click image for larger version

Name:	2EFE90BE-D5B6-4F5A-8148-EE2C6F07C4CF.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	97987

Our refrigerator was actually rocking during travel, which I believe was moving the food inside. Then the doors would open during travel. We tried bungee cord when it first happened but it didn’t work well. The Furrion rep backed up that you shouldn’t carry food in refrigerator but I guess GD is getting on them. We use two shower handles with suction cups and the purchased spring rods to hold food in place(they don’t work that well). No doors opening. But why do we need to find and purchase a solution on a new coach?
                            Last edited by Resauers; 10-24-2022, 07:15 AM.
                            2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
                            2021 Ford F250 Lariat Short Bed
                            Reese 16K

Comment

Originally posted by Resauers View Post
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	A9DAB02E-406C-4E1C-87F4-C3597A5BE44A.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	97989 Click image for larger version

Name:	B8E1F757-DF90-47F8-B518-21368B6CC734.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	97988 Click image for larger version

Name:	2EFE90BE-D5B6-4F5A-8148-EE2C6F07C4CF.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	97987

Our refrigerator was actually rocking during travel, which I believe was moving the food inside. Then the doors would open during travel. We tried bungee cord when it first happened but it didn’t work well. The Furrion rep backed up that you shouldn’t carry food in refrigerator but I guess GD is getting on them. We use two shower handles with suction cups and the purchased spring rods to hold food in place(they don’t work that well). No doors opening. But why do we need to find and purchase a solution on a new coach?
                              Glad it works, but yes, it's nuts that we need hacks and tricks to keep RV an fridge door closed. I have a cabinet baby-proofing latch on the top of our door, seems to work, but I may add a second to the bottom. I do travel with frozen turkeys sometimes!

2022 Reflection 312BHTS with 2011 F350

Comment

This is how we secure on the 260RD we have. Short bungie section from each door looped into a central anchor point. This should be in all units to properly secure the door and unit from moving.

Comment

Working...
                                X