TV is on and off when battery disconnect is Off - is it normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV is on and off when battery disconnect is Off - is it normal

I have been troubleshooting issues with our Shore power and during the hookup I forgot to turn on the battery disconnect while plugged into shore power (50amp). While plugged in the TV would cycle on and off. Is this normal? It did stop once I turned on the battery disconnect. Is there anything else to be aware of when the battery disconnect is turned of while on shore power?

Originally posted by yourinfotech View Post
    I have been troubleshooting issues with our Shore power and during the hookup I forgot to turn on the battery disconnect while plugged into shore power (50amp). While plugged in the TV would cycle on and off. Is this normal? It did stop once I turned on the battery disconnect. Is there anything else to be aware of when the battery disconnect is turned of while on shore power?
    No, the television should not cycle on and off with the battery disconnect off assuming the TV is powered exclusively by 120vAC.

With the battery disconnect off the converter will not charge your battery. You shouldn't have any lights on the interior, either. Basically anything that uses 12vDC wired to the Power Distribution Panel should cease working with the battery disconnect off.

What year and model of GD?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by yourinfotech View Post
      . Is there anything else to be aware of when the battery disconnect is turned of while on shore power?
      You battery is still hooked to a couple small loads and your battery will discharge. Albeit slowly. To actually disconnect your battery, you need to...disconnect it. I have no idea what the disconnect switch is good for. It doesn't disconnect the battery really.
      Why do you want to be 'plugged in', but with the battery disconnected?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Are you sure it’s actually of or just going blank from intermittent loss of signal? The antenna booster is powered by 12V
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
          The antenna booster is powered by 12V
          Good point!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

By any chance do you have an inverter in your unit that is powered by a transfer switch?

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The unit is a 2022 Reflection 303RLS, there is No inverter. When the TV goes out so does the Microwave. I'm taking this to the dealer as there's way too much weirdness with this power issue to explain here.

Comment

Thanks for the update. If you find out the issue, please share so we can expand our knowledge base.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

yourinfotech First thing is to try resetting the plug on the side of the unit. The second is to try a different pedestal or even a 30A adapter (limit what you turn on) In our 303 the TV, Fireplace, and every other AC fixture in the slide runs off leg 2 of the power supply. If you can post a picture of the breaker panel, we might be able to help determine if it's limited to leg 2 of the input.

IIRC there have been several issues with the connection plug on the side of the unit not being fully tightened to the internal wires. The plug can be accessed by removing the screw in the left most door of the lower coffee bar. Before doing ANY work on the AC system, unplug the power chord or better remove it from the side of the unit. Also ensure the 12V system is not feeding any power back into the 120V system by means of any inverter. Best again is to disconnect.

If you are not comfortable working on electrical components and circuits, best to leave it to the dealer or a mobil tech.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

So, we took it to the dealer and the tech reported that all was good with exception to the inverter prep not being wired correctly and a backfeed in the system that is undocumented cause. Tech reported, after all connections including the wall plug for shore line were verified and tightened there was no problems detected. Without any specific detail other than that I don't know what might have caused the problem. We have the camper back and will be taking it to site for a 50 amp connect to verify everything is working correctly now. More later....

Comment

more... Took the camper to a camp site with 50 amp connection and had issues from start. Lights flickering and AC power was off/on. Discovered when wifey moved the shoreline connection to the camper, there was an issue. Called the dealer, and per their tech, pulled the camper 50amp recepticle and found that the neutral (white wire) lug was loose causing intermittent connection. Tightened the connection and everything is working as expected without issue. I'm happy that I had an assistant to help determine the root cause of our issues. We only hope there's no damage to the appliances due to the issues with the main power connections being lose. All in all we love our camper.

Comment

Working...
                      X