RV goes dark when the GFI CB pops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV goes dark when the GFI CB pops

New GD Owner, trying to understand why everything goes out when the 15A CB for the GFCI outlets pops. Interior, exterior lights, Microwave, Electric Water Heater, and Interior Heat all go out, even though none of these utilities are powered by a GFCI outlet. Unit (23LDE) is brand new, delivered last week. We have had the CB pop a few times, but only when running space heaters, coffee pot, etc, which makes sense (if you overload a circuit, the breaker will pop to protect the circuit), but other circuits should be protected by other breakers. Possible miswired system?

Appreciate your thoughts, unit goes to the shop for warranty service tomorrow...
    2023 GD 23LDE
    2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Your lights are on the 12V system and should not be affected by any breakers or GFCIs. Check your battery disconnect switch. It should be on.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by cliffiec View Post
      New GD Owner, trying to understand why everything goes out when the 15A CB for the GFCI outlets pops. Interior, exterior lights, Microwave, Electric Water Heater, and Interior Heat all go out, even though none of these utilities are powered by a GFCI outlet. Unit (23LDE) is brand new, delivered last week. We have had the CB pop a few times, but only when running space heaters, coffee pot, etc, which makes sense (if you overload a circuit, the breaker will pop to protect the circuit), but other circuits should be protected by other breakers. Possible miswired system?

Appreciate your thoughts, unit goes to the shop for warranty service tomorrow...
      Hi cliffiec -- welcome to the forum. Please check out the Letter to New Members if you'd like to get the most from your time here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

As you'll read in the letter, GD has made some prints available to the moderators (that we are not allowed to post here). The 23LDE's prints are current as of January '21, so what I'm looking at may reflect what's in your trailer. (There may be some differences.)

There should be five 120vAC breakers in the Power Distribution Panel, right? There's the Main (30A), Water Heater / Converter (15A), Air Conditioner (20A) Microwave (15A) and GFI (15A). The GFI is marked as circuit "F". Every 120vAC outlet, other than the microwave's, is tied to F. No kidding. You can verify this yourself by "mapping" your trailer (an example of how I did mine is posted below). The other items are hard-wired to their circuits (air conditioner, water heater, etc).

What that means is the microwave and water heater should not go out when the GFI breaker pops. The interior lights should not go out, either, since they are powered from 12vDC. Even if the converter goes off, the battery should continue to keep the lights on. (Is there a battery? Is the battery disconnect ON--meaning the key can't be removed?)

Something is not right.

Below is the map I made of my trailer and the simple tool you can buy at any big box hardware store to make your own map.

Again, welcome!

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	GFCI Tester.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	100612

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet to CB OEM.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	100613
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the replies, Gents! I will use your suggestions when talking to the Tech tomorrow morning! I agree, something isn't right, and will report back on the results of the diagnosis.
        2023 GD 23LDE

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
          Your lights are on the 12V system and should not be affected by any breakers or GFCIs. Check your battery disconnect switch. It should be on.
          Went and found the Battery Disconnect, and the key was out. Put it in and turned it on, and the system works as I expected. Cancelled the warranty work, and next I will read the entire Owners Manual...

Thanks much for the help, guys, I'm glad to be here, and ready to learn!
          2023 GD 23LDE

Comment

Originally posted by cliffiec View Post

Went and found the Battery Disconnect, and the key was out. Put it in and turned it on, and the system works as I expected. Cancelled the warranty work, and next I will read the entire Owners Manual...

Thanks much for the help, guys, I'm glad to be here, and ready to learn!
            "Next I will read the entire Owners Manual..."

LOL. Are you trying to put us out of a job? Seriously, I'm glad it was an easy solution, and welcome to the forum.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
            X