Kingpin connection box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingpin connection box

I need to go to my trailer and tap into the wiring within the kingpin. Are the wires I'm going to find in there going to match this picture?
    Or did GD make up their own colour scheme? I'm going to be standing in snow and don't want to waste time figuring out wires when I get there.
    Attached Files
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I need to go to my trailer and tap into the wiring within the kingpin. Are the wires I'm going to find in there going to match this picture?
    Or did GD make up their own colour scheme? I'm going to be standing in snow and don't want to waste time figuring out wires when I get there.
    The wires should be as shown in the diagram.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have found the wires to follow the diagrams as well, across a few GD units that I have worked on.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks men...You da best!

Comment

Hi Scott,

A great cord and connection box replacement that many of us have used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Available from Canadian Amazon . . . but, a lot more money. The Mictuning connection at the truck end as twin copper tabs at every terminal . . . beware of imitations with just a single copper tab.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Rob. I'll probably get one at some point. If I remember right the factory connection box is a 4" steel box intended for interior building wiring? With wingnuts...

That mictuning box looks way too neat for RV wiring....

Comment

I am not sure about the wingnuts, you may want to take a multi bit screwdriver with you. Not sure what you are doing but there are a few different connections in there.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                I am not sure about the wingnuts, you may want to take a multi bit screwdriver with you. Not sure what you are doing but there are a few different connections in there.

Brian
                I'm installing a signal repeater for my new Tireminder TPMS. It is recommended to be at the kingpin, so I need to tap off 12v. I figure that box to be the most likely candidate. Hope it's not mounted in such a way that requires me to contort too much...and it will be -10* Canadian.....about +12* American....lol

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Scott, I did the box upgrade on mine. No the box is not too bad provided you are vertically challenged. I suggest you look for the small black wires off the emergency break away as that is probably the best and easiest feed to find, as it will be the one with only 3 wires in the wing nut. You could find the power feed wire to the break away to avoid opening the metal box (not much room left in there).
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Scott'n'Wendy Scott, I did the box upgrade on mine. No the box is not too bad provided you are vertically challenged. I suggest you look for the small black wires off the emergency break away as that is probably the best and easiest feed to find, as it will be the one with only 3 wires in the wing nut. You could find the power feed wire to the break away to avoid opening the metal box (not much room left in there).
                    Thanks for the suggestions Joseph

Comment

I took a peek in that connection box today...The black wire from the 7pin connector cable gets tied to a white wire with orange tracer to go to the trailer
                      +ve bus bar...go figure. It's no wonder a lot of people don't want to work on RV wiring.

Comment

Again, figure out which one is the hot to the break away and tie in there. MUCH less headache.

Also, once you pull the massive rats nest of wiring out of that metal box, you may never get it back in there (more likely you will not want to put it back that way).
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Again, figure out which one is the hot to the break away and tie in there. MUCH less headache.

Also, once you pull the massive rats nest of wiring out of that metal box, you may never get it back in there (more likely you will not want to put it back that way).
                          But I would still need a ground which would require me to drill/ tap the pin box. I didn't notice any convenient screws. The breakaway switch is just a switched hot wire.

Comment

The wiring from the box to the plug end, truck end, is standard, from the box back to the RV not so much but I have the same white wire with red tracer doing the same job as yours. There are white ground wires in that box that you can use for your ground.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy is there a box mounting screw you can use for ground connection?
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X