12 Volt Power doesn't shut off when disconnect key is OFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Volt Power doesn't shut off when disconnect key is OFF

Hey all, there is a clicking sound coming from the 12 volt shut off. Both inlet and outlet poles show 13.6 volts whether the switch is in the ON position or OFF position. It is making a clicking noise, too.
    2022 Solitude 310GK
    Ed & Michelle Altman
    Bumpass VA

Originally posted by Brokerma View Post
    Hey all, there is a clicking sound coming from the 12 volt shut off. Both inlet and outlet poles show 13.6 volts whether the switch is in the ON position or OFF position. It is making a clicking noise, too.
    Year and model will help us help you. The clicking may be the converter if you are on shore power. The converter, on some models, will not charge the battery if the disconnect is in the off position.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

A clicking sound near that area could also be a self-resetting DC circuit breaker that's overloading ("click") then cools, resets, overloads again...etc. There are multiple circuits that bypass the battery disconnect.

As Brian stated--need year and model. Check out the Welcome Letter when you get a moment.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

First welcome to the forum
        There are numerous threads on this, so you wight want to use the search feature and do bit of reading. Please read the welcome letter and update you signature so we can help you better.

First is this a new unit, or did you buy it used and did the previous owner modify it. The disconnect switch does not totally kill power in the trailer. when OFF there are several circuits left live such a safety detectors (propane), the slide controller on my unit and the front jack power. To totally disconnect you must remove the battery power. I take the negative terminals off. In addition if you have solar it may stay hot when the disconnect is off depending on how it was wired.

As Brian mentioned with the disconnect off (key can be removed) the batterys will not charge. In the ON position the key cant be removed so you know. The clicking sound could be one of the self resetting relays.. Knowing what model you have will help us help you along withe few pictures in case someone has modified your set up.

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you for all the responses! I've gone back to the Welcome Letter and hope to keep improving my post etiquette! We have a new 2022 Solitude 310GK and the clicking is actually coming from the battery cut off. The clicking has stopped for now. Regardless whether the key is off or on, key in or out - all 12 volt systems work. Reading 13.7 volts. No modifications have been made to this trailer.
          2022 Solitude 310GK
          Ed & Michelle Altman
          Bumpass VA

Comment

Thank you for all the responses! I've gone back to the Welcome Letter and hope to keep improving my post etiquette! We have a new 2022 Solitude 310GK and the clicking is actually coming from the battery cut off. The clicking has stopped for now. Regardless whether the key is off or on, key in or out - all 12 volt systems work. Reading 13.7 volts. No modifications have been made to this trailer.
            Does your unit have a solar package? if so and you took the measurements in the daylight the voltage your seeing is probably from the solar, wired outside the disconnect switch most likely to power a 12v compressor type fridge.

Just guessing here.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I believe a common misconception is the terminology. I had the same misconception...until I dug in a bit.
              In our minds - Battery disconnect SHOULD disconnect the 12VDC battery from everything.
              NOPE!
              Yoda has the correct solution.
              2022 Momentum 381MS
              2024 F-350 Platinum DRW
              Reese Elite 27K Puck System
              Garmin RV890 & DashCam 57

Comment

Working...
              X