What are my electrical requirements for my camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my electrical requirements for my camper

I am moving into a new home and getting a circuit put in for my Grand Design Momentum 351m and I want to be crystal clear on what to ask for from my electrician. Yes, I know it's 50amp and I have a picture of the receptacle. Is it 120v or 240v? Simple question and I just couldn't find the answer to it. Thank you in advance.
    Jay
    New Market, VA
    Momentum 351M being pulled by an F-350 SRW

Is a 240vac cct. But there are only 120vac ccts, appliances in the trailer q
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Jay, Your electrician will put it in on a 240VAC breaker splitting the 2 120VAC legs. While most campers only use 120VAC (they split the load internally) the breaker needs to be on a common trip (NEMA requirement I believe). Also having it setup as a 240VAC system will allow you to used the plug for other things if needed, like an air compressor or welder.

Ensure your electrician sets up the plug with the 2 hots and the neutral with the same size wire. This is because it's possible for one leg to pull majority of the load while the other has almost none and the neutral is carrying the difference. It might be better to explain to the electrician that the breaker is running a sub panel (essentially what a camper is with the breaker panel).
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

50-Amp-RV-Plug-Wiring.pdf

See this diagram.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

It’s a 120/240 4-wire 14-50R, just like an electric range. That sentence alone tells your electrician all he needs to know.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
          X