No announcement yet.

Switching to Lithium Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've thought about making the switch to Li just for less things to think about. How much would it hurt to put in a 50AH to 100 AH battery but not put in a Li converter? Would short charging the battery hurt since we do not boon dock and only really use the battery for setup and break down when traveling? I know I would not be getting full capacity of the battery unless I went to a higher voltage Li Converter.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      I've thought about making the switch to Li just for less things to think about. How much would it hurt to put in a 50AH to 100 AH battery but not put in a Li converter? Would short charging the battery hurt since we do not boon dock and only really use the battery for setup and break down when traveling? I know I would not be getting full capacity of the battery unless I went to a higher voltage Li Converter.
      As far as I know that should be fine. I don't believe they suffer from memory like the old Ni-Cad batteries so not charging them to full should not hurt them.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I was in the same boat with upgrading to lithium, but our 2 6v AGM batteries had been meeting our needs. That was until recently.... Before putting them in storage I did a full charge, but after about two weeks I checked their voltage. One was at 6.53v as expected, but the other was at 5.67v. So after 5 years of use, I will be retiring them and look for Boxing Day sales on batteries, and probably solar upgrades.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Amazon had a cyber Monday deal on the Li Time batteries and I scored a couple 50ah for $129.00 each to replace my group 24 80ah LA battery that came with the trailer. Install was a snap. The stock WFCO auto detect switched to Li mode after I switched on the lights and fans for a couple hours and ran the batteries down to 80%. The stock Furrion 30A (25 actual) controller was easy to switch and the stock Furrion meter with 100ah shunt was easy to callibrate. So I more than doubled battery capacity and more than halved the weight for under $300 USD including cables and battery box. No problems so far, knock on wood.
          2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Amazon still has pretty good sale going on LiTime batteries, they did have a deal on a 100ah battery and bench charger. So far I’ve had no issues with them but they are still fairly new. Yesterday I did some testing and unplugged and ran a test like we were boondocking and they performed quite well. Ran the inverter and watched tv, had lights on and solar running, smart shunt said we could run like that for 20ish hours. So far so good!!
            Scott & Mikaela
            2022 375 RES
            2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
              ncitro did you document your installation on the forum? I have found several others but am interested in yours since we have similar TV’s and am now thinking the 40A DC to DC will be my next upgrade. Want to start planning and building a shopping list!
              Scott I did a 60A install on my 2022 F350 - should be very close to your truck. Do you have up fitter switches? I used one to power the solenoid, but there are probably other ways to do it. Do you know your alternator size? That may be a factor in how big you go.
              https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...harger-project

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Scott I did a 60A install on my 2022 F350 - should be very close to your truck. Do you have up fitter switches? I used one to power the solenoid, but there are probably other ways to do it. Do you know your alternator size? That may be a factor in how big you go.
                https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...harger-project

Keith
                Thanks Keith!! I do have the upfitter switches also have the 397 amp alternator. I am trying to decide between using the Renogy unit or LiTime unit either one will be 40 amp so I shouldn’t have any issues. Also still mulling over options for what to power the d+ off of.
                Scott & Mikaela
                2022 375 RES
                2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Thanks Keith!! I do have the upfitter switches also have the 397 amp alternator. I am trying to decide between using the Renogy unit or LiTime unit either one will be 40 amp so I shouldn’t have any issues. Also still mulling over options for what to power the d+ off of.
                  I wired the D+ trigger circuit to the running lights. I always travel with my light on anyway. But your right lots of ways to do it
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I wired the D+ trigger circuit to the running lights. I always travel with my light on anyway. But your right lots of ways to do it
                    I am contemplating wiring to the 12v from the 7 way… I think it should work as long as I am always using the upfitter to cut the incoming power while hooking up etc. thoughts??
                    Scott & Mikaela
                    2022 375 RES
                    2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

I am contemplating wiring to the 12v from the 7 way… I think it should work as long as I am always using the upfitter to cut the incoming power while hooking up etc. thoughts??
                      As documented in post 56 of my (long!) install thread:

Got to actually tow the camper today with this DC Charger setup for the very first time today. I do not like that I tied in the D+ signal to the truck's charger line. Every time I open the door to the truck it shut off the charger and with the distance from the driver's seat to the BMV-712 it is difficult to verify everything is working correctly.​

This is due to how our Ford truck's 7-way is programmed to work. Bothered me---may not make a difference to you?

For the full context and my resolution, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...3166#post13166

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

As documented in post 56 of my (long!) install thread:

Got to actually tow the camper today with this DC Charger setup for the very first time today. I do not like that I tied in the D+ signal to the truck's charger line. Every time I open the door to the truck it shut off the charger and with the distance from the driver's seat to the BMV-712 it is difficult to verify everything is working correctly.​

This is due to how our Ford truck's 7-way is programmed to work. Bothered me---may not make a difference to you?

For the full context and my resolution, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...3166#post13166

Howard
                        Thanks for pointing that out! I remember reading that now. I guess I’ll look at the trailer lights.

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the LiTime DC-DC charger? Right now the price is hard to ignore and have reached out to them a few times about my batteries and they have always been responsive and very helpful.
                        https://www.litime.com/products/liti...cium-batteries
                        Scott & Mikaela
                        2022 375 RES
                        2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the LiTime DC-DC charger?
                          I haven't looked, but maybe Will Prowse has done a review? That's how I settled on the Renogy (Will's recommendation).

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out! I remember reading that now. I guess I’ll look at the trailer lights.

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the LiTime DC-DC charger? Right now the price is hard to ignore and have reached out to them a few times about my batteries and they have always been responsive and very helpful.
                            https://www.litime.com/products/liti...cium-batteries
                            Amazon has it cheaper.at $87.98 currently https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Charg.../dp/B0CKYWRPN8
                            I would read all of the reviews. I read somewhere about a power draw when not in use depending on how connected - cant find it now. I would still go Renogy

Try searching for reviews. Will Prowse has not reviewed yet but does like thier batterys

Keith
                            Last edited by Yoda; 12-11-2023, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X