Wiring for bedroom skylight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring for bedroom skylight

I have a 2022 2500RL. I only have an AC in the rear living area. I would like to put a Max air deluxe fan where the bedroom skylight is now. There is currently no fan in the bedroom. Does anyone know if there is factory wiring already routed to the skylight that I could utilize? Any help would be greatly appreciated

The 2500RL is a 30 amp unit so it will not have any wiring for a second ac. With that there will not be any 12 v dc wiring there. If you have a light near the vent you might be able to fish power from that. Be mindful of the wire gage size so that it is sufficient to handle the fan load.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you. I was afraid it wouldn’t already be wired.

Anyone know of a battery operated fan that is self contained so it doesn’t need wiring ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim23 View Post
        Anyone know of a battery operated fan that is self contained so it doesn’t need wiring ?
        Hmmm...I don't know of a battery-powered fan meant to be installed in an RV ceiling opening

If you're handy (or know an RV Tech that likes a challenge) the television 120vAC outlet is on the street-side wall of the bedroom. Plug in a custom-length power cord into that outlet and run it up the wall (hiding it behind decorative trim) and fish it across the ceiling to the vent cavity. Install a 120vAC-to-12vDC converter (sized to handle the power requirements of the fan) and you're off to the races.

A top-of-the-line Maxxair ( https://www.maxxair.com/Products/fan...00-07000K.aspx )requires a maximum of 5A at 12V, so that's only 60 watts. A (relatively) small converter will do just fine (random sample below is rated for 10A).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	202
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	117050

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Rather than a powered hatch fan, you might want to consider a 12V wall mounted fan. These can be put where access to power is easier. (Near any light switch will work). See this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ntilation-fans

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That’s worth a try. Thank you! That’s a good idea.

Comment

Tim23 I put a MaxAir fan in my bunkroom, no electrical prep, but as suggested there was a light nearby. I had to fish down into the wall to get a non switched leg, but it was not that bad.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Tim23 I had the same issue with my 21G. There was a "skylight" above the kitchen area with no wiring. I ran 10awg wire from the main distribution panel to the "skylight" and replaced it with a Maxxair fan. I then cut a big hole in the roof of the bedroom and added the "skylight" from the kitchen area. While I was doing this I ran some 10awg wire for a future fan.

So, after doing this I would not recommend doing what I did. If you find an easier way, I would go the easier route
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Thought I’d give an update. As suspected there was no pre-wiring in the bedroom vent. There were wires for bedroom lights and also a 110v wire for outlets. However I didn’t want my fan to be switch or shore power dependent.

So…..

I removed a wide trim piece that went above the bathroom door across the width of the camper. I fished wires toward the back of the camper to the bathroom/ bedroom wall directly above the doorway. I had to drill through the ceiling to get the wires out. The hole is well behind the trim piece. I then fished wires into the small wall between the bathroom sink and the bedroom. It has a thermostat on that wall. Had to remove the top of the wall panel to do this. Was then able to fish the wires under the bathroom sink and enter the breaker box from behind. I now have full time 12v power to the vent location. I put everything back together and I don’t think anyone but me will ever know work was done in the bedroom. Tomorrow I will install a Maxxaire Deluxe fan. I have already removed the old vent and sealant.

It was a chore but I hope it’s worth it when I use the fan. Thank you for your posts

Comment

Tim23

Thanks for the follow up . . . that is what makes this forum work so well. Your first hand advice will help others. Well done !

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Tim23 View Post
                      Thought I’d give an update. As suspected there was no pre-wiring in the bedroom vent. There were wires for bedroom lights and also a 110v wire for outlets. However I didn’t want my fan to be switch or shore power dependent.

So…..

I removed a wide trim piece that went above the bathroom door across the width of the camper. I fished wires toward the back of the camper to the bathroom/ bedroom wall directly above the doorway. I had to drill through the ceiling to get the wires out. The hole is well behind the trim piece. I then fished wires into the small wall between the bathroom sink and the bedroom. It has a thermostat on that wall. Had to remove the top of the wall panel to do this. Was then able to fish the wires under the bathroom sink and enter the breaker box from behind. I now have full time 12v power to the vent location. I put everything back together and I don’t think anyone but me will ever know work was done in the bedroom. Tomorrow I will install a Maxxaire Deluxe fan. I have already removed the old vent and sealant.

It was a chore but I hope it’s worth it when I use the fan. Thank you for your posts

Nice work! I think it is worth it . Please post pics of finished product,

Because of my open floor plan I didn't have a lot of walls/items to help fish wire. I ended up removing my ceiling (not advised or recommended) to run wiring for fans/solar stuff/system monitors. I also ran separate 10awg wires from the main distribution panel to my information center for future router/hotspot installation. I like your way of fishing wires better. Easier to put back together.

As a lesson to those who are thining about this - try to follow Tim23, not me.

Before picture of my "project" below. This is in our main room with kitchen. I wanted to have a real fan above kitchen area. So, I removed ceiling speaker to help fish wires. 8awg wires are for solar panel gland above, 10awg wires for the future Maxxair fan that will replace the shown "skylight".

Name:	Mainroom ceiling.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	117571

After picture below. New fan installed, and 8awg to solar gland on roof. Sooooo much better. No switch for fan, just remote. Very easy to use.

Name:	Fan installed.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	117572

To get the wiring from front area (main distribution panel) back to the fan area over ceiling (and to info panel) I removed bedroom ceiling. Whil the ceiling was removed I added another pair of 10awg wires for a future fan above our bed.

Name:	bedroom ceiling wiring.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	117570

I took the "skylight" I removed from the main room, cut a large hole in the ceiling/roof above our bed (14"x14"), and installed the "skylight" I removed in our main room in the large hole above our bed. Wiring is there for a future fan. (don't look too close at ceiling...not a very pretty job).

Name:	skylight.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	117573

Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Wow. You tackled a very complex, in depth remodel. Great job. Looking forward to enjoying our fan

Comment

Working...
                        X