Upgrading to Lithium Batteries in 2021 Solitude 310GK-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to Lithium Batteries in 2021 Solitude 310GK-R

Im a new (used) 2021 Solitude 310GK-R owner. I'm ready for my first initial electrical upgrade by replacing my 2 lead acid batteries with two 100ah lithium batteries. it already has the factory-installed 300 watt solar panel. I'm absolutely clueless on what else I will have to upgrade to accomplish this. My immediate goal is to power my 120 refrigerator, CPAP machine overnight. I need specific, very specific advice and handholding.Additionally, I could use a mentor or two I could actually call to walk me through the process. if they had a Solitude 310 too that would be a bonus.

Originally posted by Poulouin View Post
    Im a new (used) 2021 Solitude 310GK-R owner. I'm ready for my first initial electrical upgrade by replacing my 2 lead acid batteries with two 100ah lithium batteries. it already has the factory-installed 300 watt solar panel. I'm absolutely clueless on what else I will have to upgrade to accomplish this. My immediate goal is to power my 120 refrigerator, CPAP machine overnight. I need specific, very specific advice and handholding.Additionally, I could use a mentor or two I could actually call to walk me through the process. if they had a Solitude 310 too that would be a bonus.
    Step 1: I would make sure your solar charge controller and charger are lithium compatible. It seems the 2021 models were when GD was switching to lithium compatible charge controllers and chargers, so you will have to verify if yours is compatible or not.

If you don't know how to so this, it will be helpful to provide the exact model of your solar charge controller and charger (usually part of the main distribution panel....so the model number of the main distribution panel may work). The model numbers will tell us whether they are lithium compatible or not.

If the solar charge controller and charger are lithium compatible, you are on easy street. If they are not, you will have some decisions to make.

Once we know this we can go to step 2.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Poulouin -- spend $15 and read (study!) Will Prowse's book Mobile Solar Power Made Easy. See his website for details. https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/the-book.html

Will also has extensive resources on his website. There is a lot to learn.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I agree with Howard above. Reading and learning to do this yourself, we will help you as best we can, will benefit you in the long run. Understanding how and why the system is built the way it is will help you troubleshoot if there is an issue. Installing a system because someone recommends it will not benefit you, learning all the ins and outs will.

There are companies around that will install a system for if you wish to go that route.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I looked at my main distribution panel inside my RV. While there was one broker labeled, "CONV", it had no other labels indicating which model converter it was. This all new to me, and could use your personal help tracking down the details to upgrade to lithium batteries. I would like to send you my text or messenger contact info but I don't know how private this message it. -- Chris

Comment

In your pass thru storage the is a removable wall on the back side, screws at either end. You will find the converter/charger behind there, it will be labeled with a model number. Post the model number or picture of the label and we can let you know what you have.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

This all new to me...
              Forgive the soapbox sermon, but that statement in your post is why it is imperative to "do your homework", Chris. Get Will's book, brew a pot of coffee, settle into your favorite reading chair and then plow through it. Took me several times (on some chapters) before it all made (some) sense.

The equipment you're considering purchasing is expensive. If money is not an barrier, then going to a known entity like AMSolar to get a system is the "Easy Button".

If a budget is a primary consideration, there's no substitute for knowing why money must be allocated to certain components and that a shortcut will lead to disappointment. Doesn't matter if you do the install yourself or have someone else do it--IMHO the buyer must know why they are buying a given configuration.

The preference is to keep all communication on this public forum so all can benefit from the interaction. We have many, many individuals that "ghost" follow threads like this to learn but don't care to post.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You don't need 120v to power your CPAP. Get the 12V adapter and install 12v power plugs. This is how I did my install https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...wer-in-bedroom

Depending on your CPAP model and if you need heat they can pull a few amps. That's why I ran two separate circuits for DW and I..

Hope this offers an alternative.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

acoleman, by charger do you mean the converter charger?

So far Ive learned from GD that the Solar Charge Controller (420788) is made by Future Sales model SC-30A-MPPT
                  https://fsi-sales.com/products/mc-se...amp-controller
                  ​"This MC Series-30 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller protects your batteries (lead-acid, colloidal, vented or lithium) from overcharging with automatic temperature compensation and MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) technology achieving 99% Efficiency."

and the Converter Charger (430119) is made by Arterra Distribution model WF-9855-AD
                  https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...-Converter.pdf
                  “SMART ENGINEERING: THREE- STAGE CHARGING IS BETTER. WFCO’s automatic three-stage converter handles every charging need for the RV while extending the battery’s life. Well-maintained batteries should never need more than two-stage (Normal and Trickle) charging. Our third stage (Bulk) is provided for the rare times a battery needs extra-power for charging. See wfcoelectronics.com for details. “

So the question remains, are these lithium compatible? I'm thinking, yes. Am I right?

Comment

acoleman, by charger do you mean the converter charger?

So far Ive learned from GD that the Solar Charge Controller (420788) is made by Future Sales model SC-30A-MPPT
                    https://fsi-sales.com/products/mc-se...amp-controller
                    ​"This MC Series-30 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller protects your batteries (lead-acid, colloidal, vented or lithium) from overcharging with automatic temperature compensation and MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) technology achieving 99% Efficiency."

and the Converter Charger (430119) is made by Arterra Distribution model WF-9855-AD
                    https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...-Converter.pdf
                    “SMART ENGINEERING: THREE- STAGE CHARGING IS BETTER. WFCO’s automatic three-stage converter handles every charging need for the RV while extending the battery’s life. Well-maintained batteries should never need more than two-stage (Normal and Trickle) charging. Our third stage (Bulk) is provided for the rare times a battery needs extra-power for charging. See wfcoelectronics.com for details. “

So the question remains, are these lithium compatible? I'm thinking, yes. Am I right?
                    Excellent information. Thank you!

Converter charger: your unit has an auto-detect feature that will automatically detect battery chemistry and switch settings to that battery type. You don't need to do anything if/when you switch batteries

Solar Charge Controller: From what I can find, it looks like your solar charge controller is not lithium compatible, I would recommend replacing the MPPT solar charge controller with a lithium compatible unit. If the solar charge controller is easy to access, this is a very easy task. I would recommend searching for a unit that is both lithium and lead acid compatible. That will give you the flexibility to use whatever battery you want without worry. If you want help determining which solar charge controller is right for you, let us know and we can throw out some recommendations.

Also, please let us know about any future plans with solar. If you are replacing the solar charge controller now, it would be good to get something that will work with future plans as well.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Poulouin for additional info: From sun down to sun up we are using about 2.4kwh of energy. This includes 12v fridge, water pump, charging/running multiple devices (Starlink, 2 Chromebooks, 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, headphones...), lights. fans (both DC and AC), and energy to run equipment (inverter, solar charge controllers, etc), and occasional microwave/stove/hot water heater use. I'm not sure what your usual draw will be, but it's usually more than you think

also, on a daily basis (sun up to sun down) we are currently using about 2kwh of energy for a total of 4.4kwh (original estimate when setting up the system was 3kwh daily). With 1260w of solar panels, and a mostly sunny day, our panels yield from 4kwh to 5kwh of energy. Highest was 6.9kwh and lowest was less then 1kwh (overcast day or parked under trees).

My point is that as you camp more your needs will change and that you typically use more energy than you realize. You may be able to make it through the night with 2 lithium batteries, but will your panel be able to fully charge your batteries during the day so you will have enough energy to go through the night again?

A generator is a great "insurance policy" if needed. We have used ours on several occasions this year
                      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman, thank you, as always, for the feedback. You mentioned you did not think the the Solar Charge Controller was Lithium compatible. Did you note the "This MC Series-30 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller protects your batteries (lead-acid, colloidal, vented or lithium) " specs?

Additionally, converting to Lithium is my first step to going to a ALL Solar eventually. Your power drawl specs will be useful later. With that in mind I want to make sure that anything I have to replace/add will be up to spec for future solar upgrades. Your additional input on this will be invaluable too. -- Chris

Comment

acoleman, thank you, as always, for the feedback. You mentioned you did not think the the Solar Charge Controller was Lithium compatible. Did you note the "This MC Series-30 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller protects your batteries (lead-acid, colloidal, vented or lithium) " specs?

Additionally, converting to Lithium is my first step to going to a ALL Solar eventually. Your power drawl specs will be useful later. With that in mind I want to make sure that anything I have to replace/add will be up to spec for future solar upgrades. Your additional input on this will be invaluable too. -- Chris
                          My apologies I was looking at the Opti-Solar SC-30A- MPPT. :(

You are correct, your MPPT charger is compatible with lithium batteries. So, it looks like you can just switch the batteries and your equipment will detect the change and make the required adjustments automatically. That is the best case scenario for you
                          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

awesome...

Comment

Working...
                            X