Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion Battery Monitor Never Shows Charging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Battery Monitor Never Shows Charging.

I have a 2022 GD Transcend XPLOR 265BH

This is my first travel trailer that can run off solar. I purchased it new in March 2023.

My issue is that the Furrion battery monitor located in the front hatch NEVER shows that it is charging. It always displays (-) instead of (+).

I have been monitoring it this week periodically through the day and it is getting a full days worth of sunlight. Yet the battery continues to show that it is discharging and the battery level stays low.

During the fall we dry camp a lot so I’d like to figure this out, having the fridge maintain cool temp without shore power will be crucial.

Fist thing would be to check that the disconnect is on with key installed and not removable.

After that, you may want to do a search. Several people have found components wired incorrectly. The Battery monitor is one that if the wires are reversed will read backwards. There should be a SINGLE lead from the NEGATIVE side of the battery to the monitor shunt and then the rest of the connections can be on a bus bar, frame screw, etc.

Post #1 is my SELF INSTALLED monitor. Of particular attention is the SHUNT (pictures 1 and 2) so that you know what it looks like if in question. Not all Shunts are the same, but I believe through the numerous conversations on the board here, the Furrion is close to the one I installed.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

bshelt91 Joseph is right on, question I have is if you are plugged into shore power does it ever go positive? Even if there was a problem with your panel wiring the converter should make it go positive when you plug in. Definitely the first thing I would check is the battery disconnect switch.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

So I haven’t gotten a chance to check the wiring yet. But I have connected it to shore power to look into what you’re saying ncitro. When connected to shore power, it does show (+) and charges the battery. But as soon as I disconnect from shore power it shows (-) or discharging with nothing running inside the trailer.

I have verified that the battery disconnect is in the appropriate position.

Could it possibly be the calibration of the Furrion monitor or a possible bad battery?

Comment

There are always some drains in the RV even with everything turned off. For example, the LP gas detector is constantly running at about 90mA 24/7.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

bshelt91 If it is showing negative with most things off and in full sun, most likely you have either a problem with the wiring or the charge controller. I have seen a few people with miswired charge controllers. You should have two pairs of wires in the controller, a set going to the batteries and a set going to the panels, and each set should have a positive and negative. Do you have a meter and are you comfortable using it? If so see if you can identify the polarity of the wires, and ensure they are connected correctly.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by bshelt91 View Post
              Could it possibly be the calibration of the Furrion monitor or a possible bad battery?
              If the calibration of the Furrion was inaccurate the only consequence is the amp-hours (Ah) and Percentage (%)displays will be inaccurate. The amperage (A) and voltage (V) measured will be accurate assuming the shunt is wired correctly.

A "bad" battery is typically found when it will not charge, or when a load is placed on the battery the voltage drops dramatically. (All batteries will show some drop in voltage with a load on it, but not dramatically--you'd know it when you see it.)

I agree with ncitro -- my guess is the issue is associated with the solar setup.

Howard

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Found the problem.

Solar panels absolutely will not charge if the plugs are not installed correctly on the roof. Got that fixed up and it immediately began charging.

Comment

Originally posted by bshelt91 View Post
                  Found the problem.

Solar panels absolutely will not charge if the plugs are not installed correctly on the roof. Got that fixed up and it immediately began charging.

Glad to hear it, that will definitely cause an issue.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                  X