Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If converter fails, can solar panel charge batteries while on shore power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys, you are so comforting to have to help find solutions so far from home. Dealers in Calgary can get one for tomorrow but they want $471 for the WFCO. He will get a battery charger while here and get the part when back in the states.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

Last question, should we get a trickle charger or battery charger?
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

A battery charger. It's faster than a trickle charger. It should adjust its charge rate to the battery's needs.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Converter converts AC to DC for main distribution panel. It is wired directly into DC portion of main distribution panel to supply DC power from shore power.

Charger/converter both converts AC to DC and charges the battery.

If you get a charger, it will work fine as it will keep charging the battery as the battery supplies the DC power to the main distribution panel. A trickle charger is a basic charger that supplies a very limited amount of energy to the battery keeping it topped off but not overcharging it. It will charge a battery, but will take a lot longer.

I basic charger will charge battery much quicker than a trickle charger. Some chargers have the functionality of a charger and trickle charger....basically once the battery SOC is at 100% it will change modes to a trickle charger to just keep the battery topped off.

Lithium batteries do not need a trickle charger, in fact keeping a lithium at 100% SOC will shorten it's lifespan. However a lead acid battery will benefit from a trickle charger and prolong it's lifesan.

Long explanation. Short answer: for your needs I would get a charger rated high enough that it will keep up with energy demands.

If possible I always go Victron The IP22 is both charger and trickle charger and has bluetooth capability. But people don't keep those in stock...order only.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Vivian, See if you can find a 15 amp charger with maintain mode. Basically it will start at 15 amps charging, then taper off as the battery charges. Most of the items in a camper will run on less than 15 amps unless all turned on at one time. The battery is a "power demand surge tank" with a properly functioning converter or as the sole supply if no shore power.

While at it double check the 12V power from the truck to verify that there is not a blown fuse or a bad wire in the whip cord. Truck may or may not put out enough to fully charge the battery quickly, but it should be able to keep the battery topped off while towing during the day. I had the unfortunate luxury of having to charge the battery in my other 5er when the axle came apart on a trip and stuck for days in a motel.

I'd also suggest checking the output lug and where the battery cables from the converter tie into the system to ensure they are tight and not corroded. Someone just mentioned that their converter 12V negative was loose and would not charge the batteries. I'm guessing there was an increase in voltage when the converter breaker was tripped back on, but not enough current is making it to the battery to keep it charged. This can be caused by either a bad converter or a bad connection.

One other thing that came to mind as mentioned by someone in another forum (non camper) is to check that there are no draws unaccounted for like a break away switch that is pulled or shorted internally.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 funny you should mention all this. When I flipped breaker I noticed it had some play when I moved the switch. Also, when we removed the fuses behind the converter to check them and upon reinstalll the fan kicked on. At this point it was unplugged from the outlet.

Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
              X