Considering Lithium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Lithium

I attended a few seminars at the recent national rally regarding batteries. I think I learned enough to get myself in trouble. I'm considering changing to 1 lithium battery for now, and maybe adding another later. Is this worth the time and money to only add one? We generally don't boondock at all. I'm looking for longer power supply while traveling and in case of a power outage. Am I on the right track? I'll also need to get a new converter and would like to get one that will handle multiple batteries if I add more. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Country Campers; 09-05-2023, 11:03 AM. Reason: changed font to Forum standard
    2022 Reflection 150 series 260RD
    2015 F150, Air Lift air bag system. B&W Patriot 16k

Originally posted by bilco82 View Post
    I attended a few seminars at the recent national rally regarding batteries. I think I learned enough to get myself in trouble. I'm considering changing to 1 lithium battery for now, and maybe adding another later. Is this worth the time and money to only add one? We generally don't boondock at all. I'm looking for longer power supply while traveling and in case of a power outage. Am I on the right track? I'll also need to get a new converter and would like to get one that will handle multiple batteries if I add more. Any suggestions?
    Welcome to the rabbit hole

If you don't boondock and want something "just in case", I think a generator is a better way to go. No re-wiring, plug-and-play, can take with you anywhere.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

What model GD do you have, and year?

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hey Brian, thanks for the reply. We have a 2022 150 series Reflection, 260RD.

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Welcome to the rabbit hole

If you don't boondock and want something "just in case", I think a generator is a better way to go. No re-wiring, plug-and-play, can take with you anywhere.
          Thanks for your response. I really don't want to mess with carrying a generator and gasoline. We have a 150 series and I'm pulling with a F150 so I try to keep our weight done as much as possible.

Comment

So you will have the 12 v dc fridge then. Changing to 1 lithium battery will certainly help you for longer travels and possible overnight stays, if the furnace is not used.

The Lithium charger you get will depend on what the battery can handle as far as charge current, most can take 100 amps but some only like 50 amps. I like the Powermax brand of chargers, it had worked well for me before I fell completely down the rabbit hole.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              So you will have the 12 v dc fridge then. Changing to 1 lithium battery will certainly help you for longer travels and possible overnight stays, if the furnace is not used.

The Lithium charger you get will depend on what the battery can handle as far as charge current, most can take 100 amps but some only like 50 amps. I like the Powermax brand of chargers, it had worked well for me before I fell completely down the rabbit hole.

Brian
              If I do 2 batteries, do you think that will that run the furnace for 8 hours or so?

Comment

bilco82

Have a read through this thread, it may help with the furnace question.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...y-with-lithium

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If I do 2 batteries, do you think that will that run the furnace for 8 hours or so?
                  A fridge takes about 7-8 amps per hour to run and a furnace about 5-6 amps per hour to run. If you calculate 14 amps per hour, and you want it to run for 8 hours, that is about 112 amps total. This does not include any lights you use, charging phones, etc.

If you want a backup for 8 hours, 2 lithium batteries is probably a minimum or 3-4 lead acid batteries is probably a minimum (assuming 12V, 100AH batteries).

If you followed the thread linked by Brian, you'll see 112 amps is probably bare minimum. You're likely going to be over 150 amps and possibly up against 200 amps over an 8 hour period.

If you still don't have power after 8 hours, you'll wish you had a generator
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Country Campers, thanks for the thread link.I read through it all and it's ful of great information! I think I'm going to go with 2 lithium batteries and I"m looling into a PowerMax converter. Thanks for yout help!!

acoleman43, Thanks for the break down! I wish I had a generator. 😁

Comment

There is quite a difference in using something like an inverter 2k Generator just to charge the batteries vs something that will run the entire camper plus AC. You may find that a small 2k generator running with 2 converters (this will require a battery isolator) so that you can charge them at the full output of the converter since you will not be using the generator that hard.

Example: say converter puts out 60 amps. 60 amps * 15 volts = 900 watts. Multiply this X 2 converters and you are at 1800 watts (15 is probably a bit overkill along with the 60 amps). So if you have 2 - 100Ah batteries this means they will charge in 2-3 hrs on the generator.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

If you are not planning to boondock and are thinking “emergency backup” only . . . a small propane fueled generator might be worth considering. Far simpler and less expensive than the other alternatives being discussed. No gasoline to carry or carburetor maintenance to keep up with.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

There are as many power solutions as there are unique circumstances for travelers.
                          We only overnight off grid, the 2nd battery I added will get us through a cool night but not a freezing night.
                          We carry a 4500w inverter gen because I am too old and cranky to sleep in a hot RV with no AC.
                          so far we have managed to cover all the bases with this setup.
                          I looked at lithium but at this point I dont see a clear advantage when factoring costs and the practicality of our current setup.
                          Of course your mileage may vary
                          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I've read that I want a converter that charges at the reate of half the battery amps. If I have 2 100 amp batteries, should I have a 100 or 50 amp charge rate?

Comment

I've read that I want a converter that charges at the reate of half the battery amps. If I have 2 100 amp batteries, should I have a 100 or 50 amp charge rate?
                              As another data point---we only boondock and I have 565w of solar and 560 aH of Lithium batteries. I still carry my 6300w Yamaha generator but this year we did not use it at all based on how well the solar and Lithium batteries worked. This is the first season that we used all my electrical mods that I completed through the winter. We have the 12V double door 16 cu ft fridge and it draws roughly 4A per hour or around 100 ah per day. We also now have our Starlink running on batteries and use our 2000a inverter to power all the plugs, make toast, run the hair dryer, and watch movies via DVD or streaming. Our battery bank works amazing. I do have a 125A converter/charger for the batteries and it charges them pretty quick although nearly all of our charging needs are met with the solar. Hope that helps!
                              Last edited by COReflection; 09-06-2023, 07:01 AM.
                              40-year Camping Enthusiast
                              2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Working...
                              X