Adding TT-30R NEMA Receptacle To Outside Garage Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding TT-30R NEMA Receptacle To Outside Garage Wall

OK I am tired of tripping over an extension cord strung through the garage to get to the rig Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

I want to add a TT-30R NEMA receptacle​ to the side of my garage that I can plug the trailer into using the std power cord and surge protector. Garage is a metal Morton building, so any tricks mounting the box the the metal siding would be appreciated.

Is this a good box to use
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Midwest-...013P/202307113
    Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/RVMATE-Waterp...6-c72c1df98776

I was going to check at my local electric supply houses too. Are there better sources elsewhere?

Also for wiring - is 10/2 romex large enough - I will be about 25' from the sub panel. Garage sub panel is 100A

Also should the new 30A circuit breaker in the garage sub panel be GFI type? Or Arc fault too? Main 100A breaker in man house panel is neither.

Any other tips or tricks?

PS before anyone asks Colorado allows a person to do thier own wiring and then get it inspected.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

I installed one like the 50 amp box. Now that I have used it for a few years, I'm thinking having a breaker in the box with the outlet would be convenient so I wouldn't have to go into the garage to turn it off and on. No gfci, no surge, plain old breaker.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Hi Keith,

The Amazon link are the box(s) I installed. I added a 50A wired with 6 ga and a 30A wired with 8 ga. Probably could have gotten away with one gauge smaller for each because I was within 10 ft of the panel . . . but, I had the wire that I used and lots of breaker space in that panel.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Hi Keith,

The Amazon link are the box(s) I installed. I added a 50A wired with 6 ga and a 30A wired with 8 ga. Probably could have gotten away with one gauge smaller for each because I was within 10 ft of the panel . . . but, I had the wire that I used and lots of breaker space in that panel.

Rob
        There you go again. I like the idea of wiring both a 50 and 30 in one box (wired separately) That way in case I up up size I am ready - or if I get my small welder that I have been wanting. I do have room in the sub panel
        .Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda

LOL! The main reason for the 50A RV circuit is to power my TIG welder (I changed the plug to a 50A RV) . . . and (of course) for random moochdockers .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X