X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV hookup?

Hi all,

I hope this is the right location for this, sorry in advance if it isn't

I'm in the process of buying my first RV, GD Reflection 337RLS.

Background: I thought I did my research and checked on the hookup at our home, but now I’m concerned that I may have been wrong and it isn't RV ready. I’m planning to have an expert look at this later in the week, but I’m hoping to get a preliminary idea from y’all so I know what to expect.

Broadly speaking: does this setup look like it’d work for a brand new 50-amp RV?

Let me know if you need more info!​

rudy558

I did an image search on DuckDuckGo. That outlet appears to be a 240/50 outlet. See https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/138837600993166624/ where the image below was snipped from and inserted here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	205
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	122463

I suspect if that outlet is used you'll fry all the electrical equipment in your RV in a fraction of a second. In other words -- DO NOT CONNECT YOUR RV TO THAT OUTLET.

A proper "RV" 50A outlet looks like this:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-29 185005.png
Views:	188
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	122464

I'm not an electrician, but I suspect the existing wiring can be repurposed (rewired) to accommodate and correctly power your RV. Consulting a qualified and licensed electrician is highly recommended!

Howard

ncitro ?
    Jkwilson ?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      rudy558

I did an image search on DuckDuckGo. That outlet appears to be a 240/50 outlet. See https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/138837600993166624/ where the image below was snipped from and inserted here:

Name:	image.png
Views:	205
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	122463

I suspect if that outlet is used you'll fry all the electrical equipment in your RV in a fraction of a second. In other words -- DO NOT CONNECT YOUR RV TO THAT OUTLET.

A proper "RV" 50A outlet looks like this:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-29 185005.png
Views:	188
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	122464

I'm not an electrician, but I suspect the existing wiring can be repurposed (rewired) to accommodate and correctly power your RV. Consulting a qualified and licensed electrician is highly recommended!

Howard

ncitro ?
      Jkwilson ?

Oh my gosh, I spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out what type of outlet that is (my Dad couldn't remember what it was, just that he uses it for welding). You are amazing, thank you for finding that! I didn't think of trying an image search.

I'll definitely be contacting an electrician - I don't mind dabbling in repair projects, but I steer clear of anything that can kill me with a touch, AKA electricity lol

Comment

Originally posted by rudy558 View Post

Oh my gosh, I spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out what type of outlet that is (my Dad couldn't remember what it was, just that he uses it for welding). You are amazing, thank you for finding that! I didn't think of trying an image search.

I'll definitely be contacting an electrician - I don't mind dabbling in repair projects, but I steer clear of anything that can kill me with a touch, AKA electricity lol
        Howard is right, that other will not have a neutral in it, so you will not be able to pull 120v power from it, only 220/240. The RV actually runs two 120v 50 amp circuits in split phase. There's technically 220 in the rig but the way the panel is built you can't get 220 very easily. With no neutral you'd be in trouble. It looks like the wiring is all accessible, you'll just need to pull another conductor in and change the outlet.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Be very clear with the electrician that you need 120V. Many hear 30A and assume 240V. The welding outlet is likely 240V.

John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
            Be very clear with the electrician that you need 120V. Many hear 30A and assume 240V. The welding outlet is likely 240V.
            Thanks for that info! The RV is actually 50 amp, should I still specify the 120V requirement or is it different?

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Howard is right, that other will not have a neutral in it, so you will not be able to pull 120v power from it, only 220/240. The RV actually runs two 120v 50 amp circuits in split phase. There's technically 220 in the rig but the way the panel is built you can't get 220 very easily. With no neutral you'd be in trouble. It looks like the wiring is all accessible, you'll just need to pull another conductor in and change the outlet.
              I'm super happy to hear that this'll likely just need some adapting! I imagine that will be less expensive than other possibilities.

Comment

I'm super happy to hear that this'll likely just need some adapting! I imagine that will be less expensive than other possibilities.
                Yeah I'd think it should not be bad. To answer your other question, go 50 amp, tell him you need it to be a 14-50R. Should be the same that's used for a modern electric range.

Neil Citro

Comment

Agree with above, Except specify that you want both hot legs and the neutral the same gauge. A lot of modern 14-50R setups do not run the same gauge wire on the neutral as it's there for protection and low amp control loads.

Most modern electric 240VAC runs on the newer 4 conductor setup, so your electrician should be able to bring up that plug to what you need easily.

FYI: Back in the good old days, they would put in transformers to drop the voltage from 240 to 120 or even just grab one hot leg and the ground. This is why they have stopped using them.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
                    50amp is 240 between the hot legs. As others have said, there is a neutral and ground as well. (30a RV outlets are only 120v)
                    Ottertail, Minnesota
                    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

I just ran a 50A circuit in my shop to my welder but it also works for my camper too. Once you install all the wires as others have noted.....the RV plug will adapt back to a welder style plug if needed. I run my larger welder and my camper from the same circuit with a plug adapter for the welder. This should be super easy for a qualified electrician. I did mine in about an hour myself right off the sub panel that I installed in my shop.
                      40-year Camping Enthusiast
                      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

I just ran a 50A circuit in my shop to my welder but it also works for my camper too. Once you install all the wires as others have noted.....the RV plug will adapt back to a welder style plug if needed. I run my larger welder and my camper from the same circuit with a plug adapter for the welder. This should be super easy for a qualified electrician. I did mine in about an hour myself right off the sub panel that I installed in my shop.
                        Yep, mine does double duty as a electric car charger as well lol.

Neil Citro

Comment

The key visual difference is that a 50A 240V welder plug is a 3 prong outlet and a 50A 240V RV plug is a 4 prong outlet. It is easy to go from 4 to 3 to plug your welder into an RV outlet . . . but not possible to go from 3 to 4 to plug your RV into a welder outlet without adding the 4th (neutral) wire.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Agree with above, Except specify that you want both hot legs and the neutral the same gauge. A lot of modern 14-50R setups do not run the same gauge wire on the neutral as it's there for protection and low amp control loads.

Most modern electric 240VAC runs on the newer 4 conductor setup, so your electrician should be able to bring up that plug to what you need easily.

FYI: Back in the good old days, they would put in transformers to drop the voltage from 240 to 120 or even just grab one hot leg and the ground. This is why they have stopped using them.
                            No. Neutral is 100% not for protection. Neutral is 120V from each hot and is what gives you 120V. Ground is the protection conductor.
                            John & Kathy
                            2014 Reflection 303RLS
                            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Name:	Power_Company_Connection.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	122588

This may help explain.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS