RV brake adjuster for towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV brake adjuster for towing

Having electrical issues with my F150 and I wonder if connected to the brake device

When I got bought a RV trailer to tow 3 years ago, they put a RV brake adjuster under my steering wheel in my F150. This way I can adjust my RV brakes. A few months ago I traded my trailer for a GD Imagine AIM RB15 which I love. I checked my RV wheels and did not see the hole to manually adjust the brakes. My understanding is they now adjust themselves. Do I still need the brake adjuster device under my steering wheel? My F150 is having electrical issues and I wonder if it's due to the RV brake adjuster. When I press the brake, I can hear a click engaging the rv brake. Sometime just driving, I hear a similar sounding click but not engaging the brake.

The brake controller in your truck has a gain adjustment which controls how much voltage is applied to the electric trailer brakes. This is different than mechanical adjustment of the brake shoes. Your trailer brakes may quite likely have self adjusters but there will be a brake adjustment hole in the backing plate for initial shoe adjustment. All of this will be explained in the information that came with your new trailer.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I think my RV brake component under the steering wheel has a short causing electrical issues in my F150

Comment

Originally posted by Terapined View Post
        I think my RV brake component under the steering wheel has a short causing electrical issues in my F150
        Quite possible. What year is your truck? Is retrofitting the factory brake controller a possibility ?

Rob

Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Having electrical issues with my F150 and I wonder if connected to the brake device

When I got bought a RV trailer to tow 3 years ago, they put a RV brake adjuster under my steering wheel in my F150. This way I can adjust my RV brakes. A few months ago I traded my trailer for a GD Imagine AIM RB15 which I love. I checked my RV wheels and did not see the hole to manually adjust the brakes. My understanding is they now adjust themselves. Do I still need the brake adjuster device under my steering wheel? My F150 is having electrical issues and I wonder if it's due to the RV brake adjuster. When I press the brake, I can hear a click engaging the rv brake. Sometime just driving, I hear a similar sounding click but not engaging the brake.
          To know if you have self adjusting brakes, take a picture of the sticker on the back of both axles. Post here and contact the manufacturer (Dexter or Lippert, possibly Curt ) for the build sheet. That sheet will give you the information on every component that went into your axle including springs, bearings, brakes,. etc.

It would also help to know the brand and model of your brake controller.

Hope this helps
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

OP here.
            I have a GD Imagine Aim 15rb Travel Trailer
            ​​​​2016 F150 6 cylinder gas 2.7 liter
            Curt Triflex brake controller installed over 3 years ago.
            When in idle at a stop light, my engine would die and the red battery light on the dashboard would light up.
            Never stranded, car always started up again
            Scary with the engine dying on me multiple times while in idle and the red battery light coming on.
            I had a mechanic check my electrical system. Battery and alternator fine.
            I disconnected the brake controller which I was suspicious of not working.
            Car works fine. No electrical issues.
            The issue has to be a malfunctioning brake controller. It didn't seem to be working as I would adjust the controller and not feel a difference in braking.
            only towing about 4k LB so not a huge load
            Also it made clicking sounds
            I just went and bought a new Curt Triflex brake controller and just swapped it out.
            Hopefully everything works fine as I tow in a couple of days

Comment

OP here.
              I have a GD Imagine Aim 15rb Travel Trailer
              ​​​​2016 F150 6 cylinder gas 2.7 liter
              Curt Triflex brake controller installed over 3 years ago.
              When in idle at a stop light, my engine would die and the red battery light on the dashboard would light up.
              Never stranded, car always started up again
              Scary with the engine dying on me multiple times while in idle and the red battery light coming on.
              I had a mechanic check my electrical system. Battery and alternator fine.
              I disconnected the brake controller which I was suspicious of not working.
              Car works fine. No electrical issues.
              The issue has to be a malfunctioning brake controller. It didn't seem to be working as I would adjust the controller and not feel a difference in braking.
              only towing about 4k LB so not a huge load
              Also it made clicking sounds
              I just went and bought a new Curt Triflex brake controller and just swapped it out.
              Hopefully everything works fine as I tow in a couple of days
              This is just my opinion, but Curt is Lippert which equals Junk. Sorry. Before Ford started installing brake controllers I always used Tekonsha Never had an issue. They have many models, but this is an example https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9019...V4G697JR2&th=1

Hopefully you got your problem solved.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

OP, hopefully that fixes it for you.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

This is just my opinion, but Curt is Lippert which equals Junk.
                Quit being ambiguous Keith, tells us what you really think of Lippert..lol

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

A quick internet search finds several options for retrofitting a Ford factory brake controller to a 2016 F150 . . . that would be the way that I would go . . .

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Unfortunately BrakeSmart (MaxBrake) went out of business. Think 1970's feed from brake line modernized to piezo pressure transducer to eliminate the through firewall pressure line to modern electronics and technology.

https://hhrvresource.com/node/69.html

Wish someone would come back out with a good hydraulic non integrated controller.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X