Need advise on updating my inverter/converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise on updating my inverter/converter

I have a 2021 303rls and replacing my lead acid battery with 2 100amp lithium. I have read I need to replace the inverter/converter, or the batteries wont fully charge. I have no plans of adding solar just want to have enough juice for a stopover while traveling. If you have make and model numbers would help.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
    I have a 2021 303rls and replacing my lead acid battery with 2 100amp lithium. I have read I need to replace the inverter/converter, or the batteries wont fully charge. I have no plans of adding solar just want to have enough juice for a stopover while traveling. If you have make and model numbers would help.
    You probably don't need to replace an inverter (if you have one). It is recommended you replace a converter/charger if yours is not lithium compatible. Do you know what model your converter/charger is?
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I believe Dennis has the same non Li compatible Progressive Dynamics converter I have as they are close in build date.

Dennis, the converter is directly below the toilet (yes a wonderful place for it) behind the false wall. If you have not pulled the wall, use a dust mask as you find more wood shavings and other things than you could ever imagine buried in the rat nest of wiring.

Edit: made it home and have pic of converter:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter-More.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	124871
      Last edited by Jlawles2; 12-04-2023, 06:49 PM.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jim ( TucsonJim ) has recommended the Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV (see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...7749#post27749 ) in the past.

​Note Jim emphasizes the "L" in the model number (that's the indication it's a lithium model).

More info here: https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd9100-converter-2/ (Scroll down to the bottom of their website and there are links to the owners manual.)

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson On my camper it looks like the factory converter charges the batteries through a 10AWG wire. Is that right?
          Trib
          2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
          2021 Momentum 320G
          2021 Road Glide Limited
          See you down the road!!

Comment

Originally posted by TribForce View Post
            howson On my camper it looks like the factory converter charges the batteries through a 10AWG wire. Is that right?
            The wire to the converter on my 2014, 2017, and 2024 GDRV units was all 6 AWG.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Depends on what the converter/charger is rated. Do you know how many charging watts or amps it is rated?
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43 According to GD is a 55A model. I'll measure the wire next time I'm in there. Thanks Gents.
                Trib
                2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
                2021 Momentum 320G
                2021 Road Glide Limited
                See you down the road!!

Comment

acoleman43 According to GD is a 55A model. I'll measure the wire next time I'm in there. Thanks Gents.
                  At 55 amps, the max length of 10 awg wire allowed (with 3% voltage loss) is just 6'. If the wires are longer than 6' I would consider replacing with a larger gauge wire. I prefer 2% voltage drop which limit is only 4' for 10 awg wire.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I just replaced my FLA batteries with two 100ah LiTime batteries and replaced the factory WFCO converter charger with a PowerMax 55 amp. I am using it in fixed voltage mode, and the first one had a fan issue but I emailed them directly and the sent a new one out the same day. So far no issues with the new one!! https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pm3-12v-series/
                    PowerMax Converters PM3-55LK https://a.co/d/dfwRpHb
                    Scott & Mikaela
                    2022 375 RES
                    2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

I upgraded and installed the 120 Amp PowerMax Lithium Converter/Charger in my 2022 303RLS just a year ago for my LiP04 battery bank and love it so far. No issues and works great. Here is the link: PM3 Lithium Plus Series - PowerMax Converters
                      40-year Camping Enthusiast
                      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

I too went with a PowerMax Lithium Plus converter after changing to Lithium. Using COReflection's link, you just need to decide on 55, 100, or 120 amp converter. IMO, you should go with the 100amp....but....If you decide to go over 55amps, you will need to up the wire size to the batteries.
                        If you don't really drain those batteries that often, you could likely get by with the 55, but the 100 would be better.
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        2021 303RLS
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                          I....but....If you decide to go over 55amps, you will need to up the wire size to the batteries.
                          Another option is to install the 100A near the batteries and run 120V romex to the new converter. The original converter circuit breaker could be utilized--just need to run the romex and wire it up. I'd leave the old converter in place (disconnected, obviously) as an emergency backup. (Not an original idea...)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Another option is to install the 100A near the batteries and run 120V romex to the new converter. The original converter circuit breaker could be utilized--just need to run the romex and wire it up. I'd leave the old converter in place (disconnected, obviously) as an emergency backup. (Not an original idea...)
                            I actually did that very same thing with my converter. I wanted everything in the front compartment for ease of use and support so I remoted my power circuit to the front for the converter/charger. I also added an off/on switch so that I can control when it's on if/when I am plugged into shore power. We spend nearly all our time boondocking, so the solar panels are doing most of the battery charging. This allowed our converter-to-bus bar battery cables to be really short as opposed to it's original location inside the coach behind the cabinets.
                            40-year Camping Enthusiast
                            2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Working...
                            X