Adding a heater to my lithium battery for winter travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a heater to my lithium battery for winter travel

On last year's winter trip down south to AZ, I ended up playing it safe and re-installed my factory lead acid battery until we were out of freezing weather. I did play around with plugging in a small 500 watt electric heater in the pass-through (where my Li batteries are) to keep it warm and that did seem to work pretty great in the evenings while plugged in at a campground. During travel days it still got cold though.

This year I will be doing something more direct though. I bought a packet of three 12 volt pipe elbow heaters ($45) and a cheap 12 volt thermo-controller ($20) on Amazon. The elbow heaters are attached to the sides of one big lithium battery. I taped the thermocouple to the side of the battery for the controller (under the white tape). This is just on my work bench right now. I'll install in the trailer just before leaving for the south. I'll probably add some insulation around the battery also. It looks like current draw from the battery is about 2 amps when heating. The other battery will stay unhooked until we hit AZ. This was actually a pretty straight forward and fun little project. Any suggestions from the brain trust to make it better?
    Mitchell & Kitty
    2022 Imagine 2670MK
    2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Originally posted by Mitchell & Kitty View Post
    On last year's winter trip down south to AZ, I ended up playing it safe and re-installed my factory lead acid battery until we were out of freezing weather. I did play around with plugging in a small 500 watt electric heater in the pass-through (where my Li batteries are) to keep it warm and that did seem to work pretty great in the evenings while plugged in at a campground. During travel days it still got cold though.

This year I will be doing something more direct though. I bought a packet of three 12 volt pipe elbow heaters ($45) and a cheap 12 volt thermo-controller ($20) on Amazon. The elbow heaters are attached to the sides of one big lithium battery. I taped the thermocouple to the side of the battery for the controller (under the white tape). This is just on my work bench right now. I'll install in the trailer just before leaving for the south. I'll probably add some insulation around the battery also. It looks like current draw from the battery is about 2 amps when heating. The other battery will stay unhooked until we hit AZ. This was actually a pretty straight forward and fun little project. Any suggestions from the brain trust to make it better?
    Nice project. Do you have a link for the controller?
    Also on another site a guy used these heating pads https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JOE3FVDYM&th=1 and had his batterys in a cheep Styrofoam coolers.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The controller is this: Amazon.com: bayite DC 12V Fahrenheit Digital Temperature Controller 10A 1 Relay with Sensor : Industrial & Scientific

It is fairly small and I only have to press 1 button to adjust the "off" temperature. I'll probably set it to 50F at the beginning.

I considered the bigger pads but I couldn't find one that fit under the battery very well without folding it up the side somehow. The elbow pads are just peel and stick and fit nicely.
      Mitchell & Kitty
      2022 Imagine 2670MK
      2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Comment

Any suggestions...to make it better?
        While 2 amps is a relatively low amperage, are the pads and/or controller fused? I can't tell by the pictures the gauge of the wires, and didn't look up the maximum output potential of the controller, so a fuse might be ultra-conservative. (Makes me wonder if the tank heaters on newer GD trailers are fused?)

If a fuse is added, according to https://www.electricity-magnetism.or...ting-equation/ the rating should be the load current times a safety factor (they used 1.5). So a good starting point would be 2A x 1.5 = 3A fuse.

Howard

Edit: As a reference point, Therma Heat tank pads installation manual states, The connection must be fused with the correct amperage for their Pipe Elbow Heater Pad (model SL-E313). That model is rated at 13.5V @ 7.5W, so about .56 amps. (I had their manual in my stash of files...)

Last edited by howson; 12-11-2023, 07:05 AM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have a 4 amp blade fuse installed right now but will try to find a 3 amp. Thanks for the suggestion!
          Mitchell & Kitty
          2022 Imagine 2670MK
          2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Comment

I have a 4 amp blade fuse installed right now but will try to find a 3 amp. Thanks for the suggestion!
            A four amp fuse will work fine in that application. Fuses are primarily specified to protect the wire in the circuit from excessive current. A typical DC circuit with 20AWG wire can be fused from 1 to 7 amps.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
            X