Disconnects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LeonM

I think your battery may be "suspect". If you can get it load tested, that would be ideal. A way to do this yourself is to measure the voltage drop when a heavy load is applied. Put your voltmeter across the battery terminals and watch what the battery voltage does when a slide motor is engaged. If the voltage drops below about 10V . . . you have a weak battery.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-05-2024, 02:10 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      LeonM

I think your battery may be "suspect. If you can get it load tested, that would be ideal. A way to do this yourself is to measure the voltage drop when a heavy load is applied. Put your voltmeter across the battery terminals and watch what the battery voltage does when a slide motor is engaged. If the voltage drops below about 10V . . . you have a weak battery.

Rob
      Exactly what I was thinking, Rob.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You may have hooked it up backwards, which blew the polarity fuses, so no 12vdc power.

It's not hard to do. Everyone I know with an RV has done it. Including an electrical engineer I know.

My nephews trailer didn't have reverse polarity fuses. I had to replace fuses in almost evey piece of equipment in that trailer
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          You may have hooked it up backwards, which blew the polarity fuses, so no 12vdc power.

It's not hard to do. Everyone I know with an RV has done it. Including an electrical engineer I know.

My nephews trailer didn't have reverse polarity fuses. I had to replace fuses in almost evey piece of equipment in that trailer
          I’ve never hooked up a battery backwards. That’s automotive technician 101.
          Rich

Comment

If the OP’s battery has both eyelet and standard posts, maybe replacing the wiring eyelets with regular post ends would help. The posts are different sizes so shouldn’t reverse install accidentally.
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              LeonM

I think your battery may be "suspect". If you can get it load tested, that would be ideal. A way to do this yourself is to measure the voltage drop when a heavy load is applied. Put your voltmeter across the battery terminals and watch what the battery voltage does when a slide motor is engaged. If the voltage drops below about 10V . . . you have a weak battery.

Rob
              I took battery back to trailer, and double checked disconnect key. It was on, so I turned it off, removed, and back on, and panel worked. As for the battery, I tried opening a slide, and it dipped down to 11v, then rebounded back to 12.4.
              2022 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC 6.7L
              2023 REFLECTION 150 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by RV2600RB View Post

I’ve never hooked up a battery backwards. That’s automotive technician 101.
                Rich
                Automotive sure...but not RV. Negative can be black, white, or red. In my trailer's I've had all three. In my last trailer the battery wires were both red.
                Use your automotive 101 everywhere in an RV and you will connect something backwards.
                2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by LeonM View Post

I took battery back to trailer, and double checked disconnect key. It was on, so I turned it off, removed, and back on, and panel worked. As for the battery, I tried opening a slide, and it dipped down to 11v, then rebounded back to 12.4.
                  The battery dropped to 11V (which is good) . . . but, the slide didn’t move?

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Automotive sure...but not RV. Negative can be black, white, or red. In my trailer's I've had all three. In my last trailer the battery wires were both red.
                    Use your automotive 101 everywhere in an RV and you will connect something backwards.
                    Only if you don’t know what you’re doing. My automotive knowledge (German) has served me well with the 6 RVs I’ve owned in the past 30 years. I’m not just talking about wire colors (German vehicles use non standard colors also). Knowledge of how mechanical and electrical devices operate in general is key.
                    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by LeonM View Post

Defective switch possibly? Or maybe it did a hard reboot?
                      Rich
                      Last edited by guest2; 02-06-2024, 02:40 AM.

Comment

OK... I thought that you do not want to disconnect the battery before disconnecting the solar as the MPPT controller could get damaged. That said, I turn off my solar first then the batteries.When re-energizing, batteries first then solar.
                        Jim & Kathy
                        2022 Imagine 2600RB
                        2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
                        trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Comment

Can you give some more information on the reverse polarity fuses? I'm not sure if I have them, or, if I don't, where I should put them. I am DC challenged when it comes to crossing wires...
                          Erik
                          Erik & Tea
                          2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                          2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
                          ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post

Can you give some more information on the reverse polarity fuses? I'm not sure if I have them, or, if I don't, where I should put them. I am DC challenged when it comes to crossing wires...
                            Erik
                            Your parts lookup shows (always subject to changes on the assembly line) a deck mount converter. It should be located behind the false wall in the pass through storage, and there should be two fuses directly on it. Also there are sometimes two main fuses in the fuse panel towards the bottom.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

If you have them they are mounted directly on the power converter. If you have a stand alone converter there will be two of them side by side on one end of your converter. The ones I have replaced are on other peoples trailers have been 30A.
                              They are not something you add, they are part of your converter.
                              Here is a short video showing where they are with an integrated WFCO converter if you have one of those.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2rNiiF_aSM

And in this link you will see a picture of the converter I have.
                              https://powermaxconverters.com/produ...ithium-series/
                              If you look at the end you see two red fuses. They are the reverse polarity fuses.

Hope this helps

Whoops...Neil posted while I was typing...
                              2021 303RLS

Comment

ncitro
                                Scott'n'Wendy

Thank you both for the quick response. My converter is deck mounted in the space directly behind my main panel. I replaced it when I got LIFPo batteries and can't recall which I got. I'll open up the area and have a look.
                                The videos are very helpful.
                                Thanks,
                                Erik
                                Erik & Tea
                                2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                                2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
                                ProPride hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X