No announcement yet.

Disconnects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On our first camper I removed the battery every time I left when it was parked at the hunting lease as batteries were a known hot item to go missing. Hot humid and in a hurry, I managed to hook up the battery backwards even though I knew the wires were not colored properly and I needed to go by the color of the insulator on the terminal. That was the only time I have done that to date. Worst part is I hade to make a 1.5 hr run to the parts store to go find the 40A fuses (yes they were that big). Luckily our unit would run the 12VDC with the fuses blown for the short time I needed to go get replacements. This is why I have a fuse kit in the camper with every thin from 5 amp to 40 amp fuses.

So to Rich even with years of experience it's possible if the conditions are right. I have been lucky to have only had that happen one time. And the red electrical tape came out after that to help ensure my brain would not make that mistake again until I rewired adding a Perko switch with a red feed line.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yes, regardless of how well you know 12vdc electrical systems, RV's have several 'traps' as wired by the factory. Most people connect the battery in their car according to colour. Positive is red, negative is black. Doing that with a vehicle and you will be good. But, RV's may, or may not follow that standard. And it's a guarantee GD switches those colours between the battery and converter. Here is how my converter was wired from the factory.
      Can't get any more backwards than this from DC wiring conventions..lol
      Attached Files
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

The battery dropped to 11V (which is good) . . . but, the slide didn’t move?

Rob
        Sorry, yes, slide did move.
        2022 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC 6.7L
        2023 REFLECTION 150 295RL

Comment

After getting 4" of snow that stayed for two days I checked the battery yesterday morning. It was still good with 13.3 volts.
          Raymond and Dee Dee
          2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
          2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Working...
          X