Repeated Electric Converter Failures 2022 Imagine 2970RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeated Electric Converter Failures 2022 Imagine 2970RL

I have a 2022 Imagine 2970RL, built in 2021. I am the original owner.
    Over the past two years, I have gone through three Electric Converters. The third lasting only three months. The authorized service center has now had my RV for over a month, as I had asked them to find the root cause of the repeated problem. This time, they said they replaced/repaired some of the grounding wires and upgraded to a better quality converter. I am heading to pick the RV up this week, but am not confident that the problem has been solved.

By the way, I have had to foot the bill on each repair. Grand Design has remained silent to me and to the service center regarding this continuing issue. I am quickly losing confidence in the trailer and the company.

Any advice or similar experiences?

Thanks.
    Last edited by SODowd; 01-15-2024, 11:00 AM.

SODowd

Tough one to isolate without a lot more detail.

An (obvious?) task is to check ALL the 12v electrical connections for security and signs of burning, starting at the converter and making your way all to the battery.

The other suggestion I have is to install a Victron BMV-712 or SmartShunt battery monitor. Then you monitor how much current (and for how long) is being demanded from the converter to the battery bank. This data could be collected and then compared to what others normally see on their monitor.

Finally, and I've never tried it, but theoretically an inexpensive shunt-based monitor could be installed between the output of the converter and the input to the Power Convenience Panel. Something like the (relatively) inexpensive Furrion or the myriad copies available from Amazon. Put the display where it is easy to see and then you'll be able to monitor the demands on the converter during day-to-day use.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Odds are, your dealer never contacted GD about the warranty issue. Call GD yourself with your VIN and dates of service and ask if there has been a warranty request for your trailer.

A converter is such a simple and robust item, I’d lay odds that they aren’t really failing. Something is going wrong and the dealer is misdiagnosing the issue.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I would agree with John. I personally think the WFCO converter that comes in the rigs while not the best thing out there does the job it was designed to do, and failures seem to be pretty rare. Repeated failures are almost unheard of and I suspect something else is going on. It is a pretty simple device, really not much more than a glorified battery charger. I would suggest a second opinion.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I agree with John and Neil. Having three converter fail in two years would have to be some kind of record if they did in fact fail. FYI, you do not have to get your trailer serviced at a GD dealer..especially if you are footing the bill anyway.
          What symptoms did you experience prior to bringing in your trailer to the shop?
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
            Odds are, your dealer never contacted GD about the warranty issue. Call GD yourself with your VIN and dates of service and ask if there has been a warranty request for your trailer.

A converter is such a simple and robust item, I’d lay odds that they aren’t really failing. Something is going wrong and the dealer is misdiagnosing the issue.
            The inverter failed in one of our class A motor homes. I bypassed it and no more problems. Can’t say I have faith in them.
            Rich

Comment

Just another idea. The converter failed in my Reflection because the battery box filled with water during a heavy rain and shorted the system out. Drilled holes in the bottom of the battery box, replaced the converter and haven't had a problem since.
              2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
              2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by RV2600RB View Post

The inverter failed in one of our class A motor homes. I bypassed it and no more problems. Can’t say I have faith in them.
                Rich
                Inverter is not the same as a converter, and you can’t bypass either because input and output voltages are dangerously different on both.
                John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
                X