Relocating my converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating my converter

I'm upgrading to lithium batteries and at the same time I was thinking about moving the WFCO (WF-9855-AD) converter so it is within a few feet of the new batteries. I'm planning upon using much heavier wires (2 AWG or even 0 AWG) to connect the batteries and converter together using 300A bus bars. I may also install a small inverter (300W) next to the batteries as well. My converter is currently installed on the floor behind the power distribution panel and the battery is fed with only 8 AWG wire (that's about 10 ft long). Its definitely 8 AWG and that is one of the reasons why I'd like to relocate the converter. Now here is my question. Would it be okay to reuse the existing 8 AWG battery cables just to feed DC power back to the panel? The wires are 8 AWG and about 10 ft in length. If I do relocate the converter I'll have to run a 15A 120V AC wire back to the panel.

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks

8 ga seems pretty small but if the system works.....

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yes that should be fine, and most of us do similar. Moving them closer together will lessen the voltage drop and could get you more charging current into the batteries. Reusing the factory wire to feed the power distribution panel is what the rest of us do as well, you might want to fuse it when it comes off of your bus bars.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Your battery to converter wiring is only going to carry your converter output rating and that much will never flow to the battery. Your converter is rated at 55A at 13.6V. At charging voltage, that’s about 52A. I don’t think you are really gaining much moving the converter and installing such large wire. At a 1ft run, your maximum voltage drop from converter to battery with #8 is going to be .03V on each wire. Heavier wire makes the most sense on the longest runs.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I'll assume you are installing #2 or 1/0 because you are envisaging a bigger converter in future? If so your plans are good. If you are planning on staying with the 55a converter, you are not getting much return on your investment with the large wire. Bigger is better, but sometimes not by much.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I would not think wire that large is going to fit in the terminals of the stock converter. You will need to step down in size, and fuse appropriately.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
            X