Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar size compared to battery bank size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar size compared to battery bank size?

Will the solar panel size decide what size or how many batteries will work? I have a 370 watt solar panel with a single AGM Group 24 battery. Also aren't LifePO4 batteries susceptible to being damaged in freezing temperatures?
    Last edited by reubenray; 02-04-2024, 09:40 AM.
    Raymond and Dee Dee
    2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

reubenray

I have moved your post out to its own thread. This will help this discussion and the other stay on track.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post
      Will the solar panel size decide what size or how many batteries will work? I have a 370 watt solar panel with a single AGM Group 24 battery. Also aren't LifePO4 batteries susceptible to being damaged in freezing temperatures?
      Most modern LiFePO4 batteries designed for RV use have a BMS that limits charging below freezing to protect the cells, and use below 0F (I think, I do not camp that cold). Verify with the specific battery you are considering.

The solar panel size determines how fast your batteries will charge. They are basically a sun powered battery charger. More batteries does not affect that, other than you have more to deplete that would need to be charged. You size the whole system (number of batteries and amount of solar) based on your usage.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Neil gave some great info. I'm using four Li Time 230 amp hour batteries. Here are the temperature specifications for my specific batteries:

Charging: 32°F to 122°F (0C to 50C)
        Discharging: -4°F to 140°F (-20C to 60C)
        Storage: 14°F to 122°F (-10C to 50C)

I do have a Battery Management System that shuts off charging at 32°F. But I also have a thermometer near the batteries that I monitor if the temps start plummeting. You can use them with no issues during cold weather as long as the temp doesn't drop below -4°F. But lead acid (including AGM) batteries have their own peculiarities at low temperature, especially if they are approaching full discharge.

If you have a 370 watt panel, you can expect to get approximately 220-240 watts on a sunny day in the Southern USA during winter months. And you should yield in excess of 300 watts on a summer day.
        220 watts on a winter day will provide enough power to fully recharge an AGM battery. 300+ watts should allow you to recharge two depleted AGM batteries in the summer.

On my system, my 2000 watts of panels provided a maximum of 1200 watts last week in Southern Arizona on a cool winter day.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
        X