Electrical System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical System

New trailer did not come with power cords. Power Inlet cover reads: Furrion 50Amp 125V/250V. Actual inlet also reads: 50A 125V/250V, but has 3 prongs. Warning sticker above inlet reads: This connection is for 110-125V AC, 60Hz, 30 Ampere supply. Obviously 3 prongs is telling me this a 30 Amp inlet. I'm not sure why the actual inlet states 50 Amp. Can someone help me understand. Be kind, I am very new to this.

Pics attached
    Attached Files

Comment

50 amp twist lock plug

Go back where you bought the trailer and get the cords it is supposed to come with
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by aronamy View Post
        Pics attached
        That is a 50 amp 240v inlet The three prongs are L1, L2, and neutral. The ground contact is on the edge of the ring. it appears that someone put the wrong sticker above the inlet. I would confirm that you have a 50 amp, 240 V breaker panel. I can’t imagine that someone wired a 50 amp 240 V inlet to a 30 amp, 120v RV, but you never know. I would make sure before plugging something in. The RV should have included a power cord.
        2021 Solitude 380FL-R
        2022 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Agreed that the label does not match the power connection. If you post a picture of your main breaker panel, we may be able to assist further.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That metal tab in the lower left of the inlet picture tells me the inlet is 50 amps. A 30 amp would have 3 prongs and no metal tab.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

What makes this an interesting mystery is what we know and what we don’t know. We don’t know what model of RV Aronamy has, we know it’s a new RV, we know that the label doesn’t match the inlet plug, we know that the dealer didn’t supply the power cord, we don’t know if the RV is a 50 amp RV or a 30 amp RV.

So here is an unlikely, but possible scenario. The RV is a 30 amp RV. An installer, being distracted from some issue in his life, grabs a 50 amp plug and wires the hot, neutral, and ground of the 30 amp trailer wiring to the three prongs of the 50 amp plug. GD throws the correct 30 amp cord into the RV and ships it to the dealer. The dealer attempts to plug it in, sees the cord doesn’t fit and takes it away. He sells the RV without the cord. Aronamy gets a 50 amp cord and plugs it into a 30 amp RV and issues ensue.

Where is Benoit Blanc when you need him?

I know this is unlikely, but the fact that the power cord was not in the RV, combined with the mismatch of label and inlet plug, makes me suspicious. I’ve been around long enough to see many unlikely things. I would definitely confirm the power system in the RV before plugging in a 50 amp cord.

As Rob says, a picture of the RV breaker panel would be very useful.
              2021 Solitude 380FL-R
              2022 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

The attached might help develop confidence on what you really have. It shows all NEMA pugs/outlets and their ratings. You can also look for the Furrion part number and look up the specs. I agree with Scott'n'Wendy. This is standard equipment and any reputable dealer will gladly ensure you get the correct cord.

Bottom line. In practice it doesn't matter what the receptacle is as much as whether its appropriately matched to the breaker rating and connections. Having a 50A plug/ receptacle connected to a 30A panel can be dangerous or at least cause breakers to trip frequently. One easy thing to check if you are comfortable with it is to measure the main voltage into the panel. 120 V means you most likely have have a heavy duty 30A capability. 240V implies 2 phase and 50A capability.
                Attached Files
                Earl
                2022 Imagine 22RBE
                2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7L V-8 MDS VVT)
                Anderson 3350 WDH w/ Redarc TowPro EBRH-ACCV3

Comment

Go to your dealership, they owe you a power cord.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

This might be one of those cases where someone asks a question, we jump in to help, and we never hear from the OP again, leaving us unsatisfied. My wife has accused me of that on a few occasions.
                    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
                    2022 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Working...
                    X