Splitting 50A power feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting 50A power feed

Trying to install a bypass method for my PWD. My plan is to use a manual transfer switch. Split the incoming power. Raw power to one side of the transfer switch. Protected power to the other. Allows for bypassing the PWD by choice. Should be integrated into the PWD, but that’s another topic.

Im looking for a simple, safe, functional and maybe even cheap way to split the power. 6AWG wires makes it a little harder.

Three-way multi taps in a junction box would do it, but that’ll be around $100. Seems there should be a cheaper way
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

I'm guessing the terminals on the PWD don't allow for doubling up? There are numerous lugs out there that could do the job but not very elegant. Servits would be cheapest but ugly
    How about thiese?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Joinfworld-Dis...c1df98776&th=1
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      I'm guessing the terminals on the PWD don't allow for doubling up? There are numerous lugs out there that could do the job but not very elegant. Servits would be cheapest but ugly
      How about thiese?
      https://www.amazon.ca/Joinfworld-Dis...c1df98776&th=1
      Looked at things like that, but not much cheaper than multi-taps that are better insulated. No room for multiple wires on the devices.

Looked at these https://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Ele...8382764&hv pos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4825394554473979940&a mp;hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c& hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016582&h vtargid=pla-2202950450146&psc=1&mcid=e3e2daa63499386b8 9335aee773829a4

These are fairly large, so it will take a larger junction box just to fit them, and I’ll need to secure them to avoid damage from movement.

I was hoping something existed like a small junction box with four bus bars, three isolated from the box. Kind of a small subpanel without breakers. If I’m dreaming, the transfer switch would mount in the box too.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I guess I'm dense this morning - PWD?

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          I guess I'm dense this morning - PWD?

Jim
          Power Watch Dog. I had it in the original title, but my tablet hiccuped and I left it out the second time
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
            Trying to install a bypass method for my PWD. My plan is to use a manual transfer switch. Split the incoming power. Raw power to one side of the transfer switch. Protected power to the other. Allows for bypassing the PWD by choice. Should be integrated into the PWD, but that’s another topic.

Im looking for a simple, safe, functional and maybe even cheap way to split the power. 6AWG wires makes it a little harder.

Three-way multi taps in a junction box would do it, but that’ll be around $100. Seems there should be a cheaper way
            Just out of curiosity, why are you doing this? Are you concerned about the PWD preventing power flow to your RV in some circumstance?
            2021 Solitude 380FL-R
            2022 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

The simplest solution---upgrade to something like I have installed.....Progressive Industries Energy Management System and Surge Protector inline. Mine has a remote display that shows all types of power statistics as well as a bypass switch that allows a quick and easy bypass of the system. Love it. Super easy to use and monitor.

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries Hardwired RV Surge Protector, 50 Amp EMS with Remote Display and Fault Detection - EMS-HW50C : Automotive
              40-year Camping Enthusiast
              2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by IDRVr View Post

Just out of curiosity, why are you doing this? Are you concerned about the PWD preventing power flow to your RV in some circumstance?
                I’d like to be able to run my converter if the shore power is too sketchy for expensive stuff or to operate if the EMS fails. Had a situation where voltage would drop briefly to 100-101 when other campers’ AC started.
                John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post
                  The simplest solution---upgrade to something like I have installed.....Progressive Industries Energy Management System and Surge Protector inline. Mine has a remote display that shows all types of power statistics as well as a bypass switch that allows a quick and easy bypass of the system. Love it. Super easy to use and monitor.

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries Hardwired RV Surge Protector, 50 Amp EMS with Remote Display and Fault Detection - EMS-HW50C : Automotive
                  I second that. That was one of the deciding factors when I purchased mine. I also like the fact that I can monitor both legs of the 50a circuit from inside the rig.
                  2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
                  2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
                  YouTube Chanel

Comment

I’d like to be able to run my converter if the shore power is too sketchy for expensive stuff or to operate if the EMS fails. Had a situation where voltage would drop briefly to 100-101 when other campers’ AC started.
                    OK, makes sense. I have the hardwired power watchdog. If that were to fail for some reason - no power. I do have the inboard generator so I could use that in a pinch. It is wired downstream of the PWD.
                    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
                    2022 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

OK, makes sense. I have the hardwired power watchdog. If that were to fail for some reason - no power. I do have the inboard generator so I could use that in a pinch. It is wired downstream of the PWD.
                      Generator would cover you if allowed. I’m thinking I might be able to just carry an extension cord, which I often do anyway, and plug the converter into that to get by. Simpler.
                      John & Kathy
                      2014 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Generator would cover you if allowed. I’m thinking I might be able to just carry an extension cord, which I often do anyway, and plug the converter into that to get by. Simpler.
                        The converter is well inside the capability of a #14 3 wire pigtail. You could sneak the #14 conductors into the #6 terminals on the input side of the PWD’s ground, neutral, and L1 or L2 inputs. Just secure the pigtail by the converter. You wouldn’t even need to break out the extension cord. You could even stick a 15 amp in-line fuse in the hotwire if you get creative.
                        2021 Solitude 380FL-R
                        2022 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

The converter is well inside the capability of a #14 3 wire pigtail. You could sneak the #14 conductors into the #6 terminals on the input side of the PWD’s ground, neutral, and L1 or L2 inputs. Just secure the pigtail by the converter. You wouldn’t even need to break out the extension cord. You could even stick a 15 amp in-line fuse in the hotwire if you get creative.
                          I’ve considered doing exactly that. Weather has turned bad here for the last few days so I’ve been working in the house rather than on the camper to see if it will work.
                          John & Kathy
                          2014 Reflection 303RLS
                          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
                          X