2800BH wiring for slide out lights and outlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2800BH wiring for slide out lights and outlets

Hi.. Long story, but all the wiring got pulled out of the slide out from a tire blowout that wrapped all the wiring into the wheel. What I have left is 3 - 12 gage wires (wht,blk,grn) going to the 2 outlets in the slide-out.... Entering into the slide out right in the middle..
    To the back, I have a white and purple/white 12 ga. (no green/ground) Which goes to a 15 amp 2 prong fuse labeled for the "slide-out lights".... AND 2 green and 2 white.
    I removed the wood panel that separates the dinette and sofa. and inside there is the wiring to the USB plug, WHT, WHT/RED that goes to one of the slide-out lights. and 2 small BLK that go to the outside marker.
    then there's a metal spring-like wire that is screwed into the slide-out frame.. not sure if thats part of the wiring or not????

Where can I find a wiring diagram? I called GD with no luck.

thanks for the help!!!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by shortline1 View Post
    Unfortunately GD does not have any wiring diagrams. Hard to believe, but it's true.

The metal spring was probably there the guide the wiring as the slide moved in and out.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

As Howard says . . . there are no wiring diagrams available from Grand Design. As a start on how everything is connected on the outside (like the spring that holds the wiring harness) I would suggest visiting a Grand Design dealer and examining another 2800BH. Obviously they will not let you take the interior apart, but seeing how things go back together under the slide will be a big help.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Sooo.. I talked to GD Regarding the wiring diagram.. they do have them, but won't share with the public.. they told me to call the dealership in my area.. They can get them, but won't.. Even though i do (or did) business with them.. so frustrating

Comment

Sooo.. I talked to GD Regarding the wiring diagram.. they do have them, but won't share with the public.. they told me to call the dealership in my area.. They can get them, but won't.. Even though i do (or did) business with them.. so frustrating
          Could be GD fears liability for cutting corners and wiring diagrams could be used as evidence perhaps? They can't be concerned with protecting some superior advanced technological advances. JMHO
          2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

I am going to disagree with whoever at GD says they have “wiring diagrams”. I have been a Grand Design owner for 10 years (since this company started) and as a forum moderator have been involved with them on many different levels. If they had wiring diagrams, I would have seen these . . . somewhere along this 10 year path. They do have electrical layout drawings that show the assembly plant where to put outlets and devices. These don’t show you anything that you cannot observe in a completed trailer. The wiring is done similar to residential wiring. How all the outlets and devices locations are connected together is left up to the guy running the wires. Every assembly worker will likely do this a little differently.

Going forward, this may change. The concept of wiring diagrams leading to wiring harnesses has been discussed. The RV industry is not there yet . . . but, they are at least thinking about it.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Winnebago (GD parent company) has a great website featuring access to the actual drawings complete with wiring and plumbing diagrams for every make and model past a present.
              2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Reacher View Post
                Winnebago (GD parent company) has a great website featuring access to the actual drawings complete with wiring and plumbing diagrams for every make and model past a present.
                Maybe why Grand Design is headed in that direction? FWIW . . . the requirements for motor vehicles are far more stringent than what is required for trailers. The towable RV industry is “self regulating”. They are only accountable to the (very loose) construction requirements set by RVIA.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yes you are right. One of my motorhomes was a Winnebago and the resources were very helpful.

Comment

Hi.. Long story, but all the wiring got pulled out of the slide out from a tire blowout that wrapped all the wiring into the wheel. What I have left is 3 - 12 gage wires (wht,blk,grn) going to the 2 outlets in the slide-out.... Entering into the slide out right in the middle..
                    To the back, I have a white and purple/white 12 ga. (no green/ground) Which goes to a 15 amp 2 prong fuse labeled for the "slide-out lights".... AND 2 green and 2 white.
                    I removed the wood panel that separates the dinette and sofa. and inside there is the wiring to the USB plug, WHT, WHT/RED that goes to one of the slide-out lights. and 2 small BLK that go to the outside marker.
                    then there's a metal spring-like wire that is screwed into the slide-out frame.. not sure if thats part of the wiring or not????

thanks for the help!!!
                    Sorry to hear of your troubles. While I cant give you wiring diagram help I might be able to give you a few tips. First do you have a multi meter and know how to use it? I am going to assume you have. If not get one. You can use it to check voltage and continuity to match up wires. You might want to fab up some extension wires with clips on the ends to chase down the circuits as you go. First what year is your unit? That might help in finding someone with the same unit you have.

From sorting the wiring out on my 2018 220RK I can offer the following hints. Plain white wires should be be negative return wires. Colored wires and any white wire with a stripe is positive 12V. THIS IS FOR 12V WIRES ONLY

From your picture your 120V SOOW flexible cable was ripped out (120v) the black is hot, white neutral, and green ground. This is usually attached to the spring to curl up as the slide moves. Inside the frame where the wire goes through and above the coroplast there should be a MOLEX or other connection where the flexible cable ties to std romex.120v wiring. There should also be a similar connection in the slide before the outlet. but I don't see that in your picture. In addition you should find the 12V connections to the slide in the same area that ran to the slide inside a flexible conduit.

Also GD uses the same color wire through the entire run, so if you can find another clearance light you can confirm the wire color. My guess it is the purple line with the white wire attached to it is the return negative connection

BTW the wire size is probably 14 awg which is what GD uses most everywhere - at least on my trailer.

Hopefully someone with a model and year unit like yours might snap a few pictures to help you out with everything attached.

I hope this gives you a place to start Moderators, If I have misstated anything please chime in. TucsonJim howson Cate&Rob

BTW what brand of tire blew out on you?

Safe Travels
                    Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                    X