Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outer sheathing on 50amp cord broken - relace or repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer sheathing on 50amp cord broken - relace or repair?

UPDATE: Scott'n'Wendy thanks to your suggestion I emailed GD and they offered to replace at no cost. They're awesome!!

I noticed today that the outer sheathing on my OEM 50-amp cord is broken. The wires inside are fine - so far. Is this something that requires an immediate replacement? Or do I treat it gingerly and head out on my three-week trip without replacing?

Or is this something a non-electrician (me) attempts to repair?

Thanks!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Power Cord.jpg Views:	69 Size:	101.9 KB ID:	132085
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike & Rebecca; 04-18-2024, 09:25 PM.
    Mike and Rebecca
    2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
    2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Don't worry about it.

Comment

Personally, I'd change it. It's quite simple to do and not very costly. Here's a thread that details how I changed mine when it was showing some damaged connections.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lesson-learned

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post
        I noticed today that the outer sheathing on my OEM 50-amp cord is broken. The wires inside are fine - so far. Is this something that requires an immediate replacement? Or do I treat it gingerly and head out on my three-week trip without replacing?

Or is this something a non-electrician (me) attempts to repair?

Thanks!!
        Immediate (as in emergency, do-not-use-it) replacement? Nope. Should it be replaced soon? Yep. Should you repair it yourself? Based on the self-description...probably not.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Wow. That's pretty poor service for a cord if you got it with your 2022 trailer. I'd probably put a few wraps of electrical tape on it to try to prevent the cable from pulling out any more. Might not work but i'd try.
          I would still use it though. Keep an eye on it throughout your 3 week trip. Wouldn't pull the cable by the handle etc. I'd order up a replacement end and change it when convenient.
          I would probably also call GD customer service and complain about the short life span of your expensive 50A cord. Maybe they will send you a new one...maybe they will say too bad...you need to fix it. But worth a call imo.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Same exact thing happened with my 2022 cable. I will continue to use it though, for now.
            More cheap junk. I will replace the head one of these days.
            USN Engineer Retired
            2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
            2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Immediate (as in emergency, do-not-use-it) replacement? Nope. Should it be replaced soon? Yep. Should you repair it yourself? Based on the self-description...probably not.
              Howard, it's like you know me!! Thanks
              Mike and Rebecca
              2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
              2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Working...
              X