2024 23LDE Breaker Box wiring, Inverter Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 23LDE Breaker Box wiring, Inverter Prep

Hi all, I've been reading and viewing all the video's on installing an Inverter. I'm very interested in installing an inverter and have been doing some planning. I understand that the Inverter Prep works by having the 30 AMP circuit Inverter Main feeding the power back to the panel in the Inverter Return power the top half of my breaker box.. As I inspect my set up, I think they have the panel wired wrong. If I install the Inverter with this configuration, My Microwave will not run and my AC will be energized. I checked with a meter, when I trip the Inverter Feed breaker, I lose power on the AC and General Circuits. I don't plan on having enough juice to run the AC, but would like to have the Microwave work.

I called Grand Design and they said they couldn't help me and I need to take it back to the Dealer. I don't want to waste my time on something this simple and wanted to ask this group if anyone has a 2024 23LDE and can share how the order their breakers are installed? To me the simple fix is to swap the microwave breaker with the AC breaker. I tracked down the neutral wire as well and both will need to be rewired to the appropriate bus bar.

Thanks for your help and insight. I've enjoyed following the brain trust with this group.

Dave

Originally posted by Monker View Post
    Hi all, I've been reading and viewing all the video's on installing an Inverter. I'm very interested in installing an inverter and have been doing some planning. I understand that the Inverter Prep works by having the 30 AMP circuit Inverter Main feeding the power back to the panel in the Inverter Return power the top half of my breaker box.. As I inspect my set up, I think they have the panel wired wrong. If I install the Inverter with this configuration, My Microwave will not run and my AC will be energized. I checked with a meter, when I trip the Inverter Feed breaker, I lose power on the AC and General Circuits. I don't plan on having enough juice to run the AC, but would like to have the Microwave work.

I called Grand Design and they said they couldn't help me and I need to take it back to the Dealer. I don't want to waste my time on something this simple and wanted to ask this group if anyone has a 2024 23LDE and can share how the order their breakers are installed? To me the simple fix is to swap the microwave breaker with the AC breaker. I tracked down the neutral wire as well and both will need to be rewired to the appropriate bus bar.

Thanks for your help and insight. I've enjoyed following the brain trust with this group.

Dave
    Is your trailer 30A (I do not see your main in the picture but from the number of breakers I assume it is). Assuming you are comfortable you can move the breakers as you desire. If its 50A you want to try and keep the phases balanced, but if it is 30A the only thing to watch is that you do not exceed the 30A main for the inverter, or the inverters pass through current rating that you go with. If its a 30A rig, you should be able to swap the AC breaker and the Microwave breaker with no ill effect. I will reiterate here that you should be comfortable working with AC wiring and circuit breakers to tackle this job, but it is similar to your breaker panel at home.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro, I see the 30 amp main breaker.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Monker View Post
        Dave,
        You seem to have a clear grasp on how the panel is wired. If I'm wrong, fire back and I can dig up a diagram to show what's going on to incorporate a sub-panel within the main panel.

I agree the microwave's on the wrong side of the setup...ASSUMING the breakers are labeled accurately. Have they been verified?

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          ncitro, I see the 30 amp main breaker.

Brian
          oh you’re right. I’m used to seeing the inverter breakers back to back.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks all, Yes it's a 30amp system and I did verify that the labels are correct. I have no problem doing the wiring, i'm just surprised they missed this in the factory. The other thing that is odd is that the label of the breakers is printed off as 1 label. Seems crazy they have an inverter prep and wire it wrong at the factory.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know how the inverter install goes, hope everything comes in this weekend and I can knock it out.

Dave Moench
            2024 Imagine 23LDE
            2022 Ram 1500

Comment

Working...
            X