7-Pin and Other wiring Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-Pin and Other wiring Changes

While trying to solve a problem with my brake electrical circuits, I started investigating how my 7-way connector and other 12V electrical circuits were wired. I was unsatisfied with the way the wiring was installed at the factory, and elected to clean up the wiring and make it more user serviceable.

In first photo below, you can see how the 7-pin was originally wired. The cord was terminated in a metal junction box and the connections were made with twist on and crimp style connectors. This method makes troubleshooting difficult if there is ever an intermittent connection.

In photo number 2, you can see that I replaced the 7-pin connector with an after market version which made the installation much cleaner and easier to trouble-shoot in the future. (A cover was installed after the photo).

Photo number 3 provides a view of how GDRV connected several of the 12V wires. They made multiple connections to one side of the circuit breaker. These connections are not sealed and since they are on the bottom of the trailer A-Frame, they are prone to contamination from road salt and moisture.

In #4, you can see that I've replaced the open connections with connectors that were sealed with heat shrink tubing or heat shrink connectors. In addition, all connections were made with a terminal block instead of all of them being connected to one terminal on the circuit breaker.

Due to file limitations, the grounding connections will be shown in a reply below.

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

The grounding circuits were also installed in a dubious way. There was a wire screwed to the frame and multiple grounds were connected to the wire via a twist on connector. This connector could come loose or get contaminated as time went on. So the ground wire was moved to a terminal block, and the ground connections were proper crimped, sealed and connected to the block also.

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Wow, Awesome work as usual Jim
      Paul and Deb Cervone
      2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
      2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Thanks @TuscsonJim.

Our latest issue is that the battery no longer seems to get charged while traveling, so a long trip with lights and cameras on drains the battery. Copying your project would require me to check everything and probably find the problem. Do you have a favorite supplier for parts like the ones you used?
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
          Thanks @TuscsonJim.

Our latest issue is that the battery no longer seems to get charged while traveling, so a long trip with lights and cameras on drains the battery. Copying your project would require me to check everything and probably find the problem. Do you have a favorite supplier for parts like the ones you used?
          My favorite supplier is good ole Amazon.

Here is the new 7-pin connector Link:
          https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This link is for the terminal blocks - You can specify the size and color:
          https://smile.amazon.com/Fastronix-G...J7P7PGE4AFKYFS

This one is for the shrink terminals I used:
          https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Nice job Jim. I did the 7-pin connector this spring. I have done this on previous trailers and is a lot better than the old metal box for protection and proper wire connections.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Great write up. Now on my list to do - "roudtoits"

Maybe I need to just get the parts ordered, along with a bunch of other stuff everyone recommends. What can go wrong

On question - is the 7 pin box and cord wired per the standard trailer 7 pin wiring as far as color coding?

Thanks again
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith

Yes the cord and box is wired standard, although I would check to make sure. Inside these boxes they are labeled and color coded per specs.
                Buying all this "stuff" is the only bad part of these forum thingies (maybe not the only but close).

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  Great write up. Now on my list to do - "roudtoits"

Maybe I need to just get the parts ordered, along with a bunch of other stuff everyone recommends. What can go wrong

On question - is the 7 pin box and cord wired per the standard trailer 7 pin wiring as far as color coding?

Thanks again
                  Keith
                  My trailer was wired in a standard configuration. It was a little confusing with the jumbled mess they stuffed into the box though. So here's a breakdown of mine that you can compare to the second photo above.

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

My trailer was wired in a standard configuration. It was a little confusing with the jumbled mess they stuffed into the box though. So here's a breakdown of mine that you can compare to the second photo above.
                    Thanks Jim
                    It appears on the GD side they used some different colors so it is import for me to label as I take it apart. Like the white with blue stripe to black as shown on your table. Do you know if GD stayed consistent on the color of their wiring across the trailer lines? Silly me I just need to go out and remove a few screws and look - DOOH
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Jim
                      It appears on the GD side they used some different colors so it is import for me to label as I take it apart. Like the white with blue stripe to black as shown on your table. Do you know if GD stayed consistent on the color of their wiring across the trailer lines? Silly me I just need to go out and remove a few screws and look - DOOH
                      The only experience I have is with my own. So I won't guarantee that they stuck to one wiring scheme.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Thanks Jim! Looks like a winter project for me. Also, I need to put the AC on it's own circuit breaker.

Comment

When I did mine I did not buy the box with the cord. I did cut all of the wire connections and left the mating colors together for ease of the re-wire into the new box.
                          This is an easier job on a TT than a 5er.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Nice job Jim!

Comment

Great job Jim, have installed a few hundred of those connection boxes (pic#2) and they are great. Will put one on mine if I have to work on that section.
                              Pat & Marlene
                              * Dodge 5.9 2500 2006 4x4 4.1 Diff Crew Shortbed
                              * Reflection 303RLS 2015 Westlake/225/75/R15/E Tekonsha P3

Comment

Working...
                              X