HELP! Front Cap LED Strip Lights Wiring Dropped - GD Imagine 2150RB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Front Cap LED Strip Lights Wiring Dropped - GD Imagine 2150RB

In the process of replacing my front cap LED light strips and wiring from switch fell back into front cap (driver/switch side only). Have tried to fish them out with no luck.

Any suggestions on best remedy?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Reel Rebel View Post
    In the process of replacing my front cap LED light strips and wiring from switch fell back into front cap (driver/switch side only). Have tried to fish them out with no luck.

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Reel Rebel.

Is this the front cap switch on a 2150RB?

Click image for larger version

Name:	This switch.JPG
Views:	1194
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	21049

Behind that paneling is the wiring and insulation behind the front cap.

This recent thread may be helpful: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...n-imagine-2600

Please stop back and let us know the resolution.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks in advance!
      Howard's picture above shows the switch on the front panel.

The paneling is held on by staples. If you start carefully pulling the paneling back from the upper left hand corner near the switch, you can easily get to the switch and the wiring. You should be able to feed a wire from the spot on the outside where you were working down to the switch. Tape the feed wire to the switch wire and pull it back through hole in the front cap that you made. Good luck.

Norm
      Norm & Karla
      2019 Imagine 2150rb
      2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
      2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

I'm making this comment so others may not have to deal with fishing the wires back up during this repair project.

When replacing the LED cap lights, only cut one wire on the old set and then attach one wire from the new set. When that is complete, then do the other wire. This will prevent the possibility of the wires falling in the cap if both wires are cut at the same time. I asked one of the GDRV techs, and he stated this is how they perform the repair.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Reel Rebel.

Is this the front cap switch on a 2150RB?

Click image for larger version

Name:	This switch.JPG
Views:	1194
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	21049

Behind that paneling is the wiring and insulation behind the front cap.

This recent thread may be helpful: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...n-imagine-2600

Please stop back and let us know the resolution.

Howard
          Thanks so much Howard! I'll let you know how it goes once I get a chance to work on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Oregon Fun-Guy View Post

Howard's picture above shows the switch on the front panel.

The paneling is held on by staples. If you start carefully pulling the paneling back from the upper left hand corner near the switch, you can easily get to the switch and the wiring. You should be able to feed a wire from the spot on the outside where you were working down to the switch. Tape the feed wire to the switch wire and pull it back through hole in the front cap that you made. Good luck.

Norm
            Thanks Norm! That technique sounds easy! I'll report back upon completion!

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              I'm making this comment so others may not have to deal with fishing the wires back up during this repair project.

When replacing the LED cap lights, only cut one wire on the old set and then attach one wire from the new set. When that is complete, then do the other wire. This will prevent the possibility of the wires falling in the cap if both wires are cut at the same time. I asked one of the GDRV techs, and he stated this is how they perform the repair.

Jim
              Thanks Jim...sounds like the "voice of experience"!

Do you have a recommendation for attaching the wires together?

Comment

Something you might try before pulling the paneling is to take the light off. The access may allow you to fish around through the larger hole behind the light. I recently cut out part of the paneling on the passenger side to wire up the booster for our TPMS system to the marker lights (so it was on only when the markers were lit, which I do every time we tow). The hole for the wires for the light was larger than the switch for the cap LEDs, which I converted to a dimmer a while ago.
                2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
                2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
                Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by Running from Gnats View Post
                  Something you might try before pulling the paneling is to take the light off. The access may allow you to fish around through the larger hole behind the light. I recently cut out part of the paneling on the passenger side to wire up the booster for our TPMS system to the marker lights (so it was on only when the markers were lit, which I do every time we tow). The hole for the wires for the light was larger than the switch for the cap LEDs, which I converted to a dimmer a while ago.
                  Thanks RFG...I'll try that first!

Comment

Thanks Jim...sounds like the "voice of experience"!

Do you have a recommendation for attaching the wires together?
                    I do have a couple of recommendations on wire splicing. My first choice is always to solder the wires and apply shrink wrap. But sometimes that's not practical. So my next choice is shrink wrap butt connectors. You splice the wires together in the butt connector and then use a flame or heat gun to shrink the outer sleeve.

Here's a good example of the shrink wrap connectors I use:

https://smile.amazon.com/Heat-Shrink...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I do have a couple of recommendations on wire splicing. My first choice is always to solder the wires and apply shrink wrap. But sometimes that's not practical. So my next choice is shrink wrap butt connectors. You splice the wires together in the butt connector and then use a flame or heat gun to shrink the outer sleeve.

Here's a good example of the shrink wrap connectors I use:

https://smile.amazon.com/Heat-Shrink...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Jim
                      I came across these today: Heat shrink solder butt connectors

Comment

One of my front lights never worked. When I was doing my solar panels I needed to remove the front wall in the storage compartment. I thought maybe I could check the wiring to the cap lights, so I crawled in and sure enough I could see one of the wires had come out of the crimp nuts. It's not easy to reach up that high to get to the wires, but they are accessible from the front storage compartment.
                        2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                        2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Working...
                        X