310GK: Moving the power panel cabinet temporarly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 310GK: Moving the power panel cabinet temporarly

This is an offshoot of my investigations into replacing the refrigerator in our 2018 310GK, as discussed in part of the "Residential Fridge Model" thread in the Appliances forum. (Sorry, I know it can be done, but I can't figure out how to include a link to a post within the forums.)

I still have to use a template to verify, but from measuring I don't think I can get a refrigerator about the size of the Samsung refrigerator used in the 310GK-R in through the door; the cabinet containing the power panel is too close to the door by about 3 inches. The refrigerator can make it into the doorway, but can't make the turn to clear the cabinet.

So the question of the day is whether anyone has successfully temporarily moved the cabinet? I want to shift it away from the door just those few inches.

An alternative is to use a smaller refrigerator, but that means cabinetry work to fix the gaps and make it look right.

Thanks for any pointers,
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
    2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Hi Al,

Is coming in through the dinette window an option? It might be easier to R&R a window and a table than either the cabinetry or a slide.

Link to the fridge thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...l-fridge-model

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob Cate&Rob

Kathe: "Oh, I REALLY like it!"

I'd have to study how the windows are mounted. They're the double panes, so heavier, but I still think it is doable. I'll probably have to buld some form of scaffolding outside to let several people lift it safely.

Thanks for the idea.
      -Al
      Al and Kathe

Comment

As Rob mentions, the window might be a viable option. I read an article in Trailer Life a few years ago about doing exactly that. Remove the screws, sealant and glass. Have a crew ready to pass the old reefer out, and the new one in.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I know in motorhomes (the doors are usually smaller) they take out the front windshield for big stuff. Side window should be far more "owner friendly" than that would be lol.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
            I know in motorhomes (the doors are usually smaller) they take out the front windshield for big stuff. Side window should be far more "owner friendly" than that would be lol.
            Yeah. Pulling the windshield on a 5er would be a REALLY big project! [grin] Although I did see a 5er with a front window (and bathtub) at the 2017 Hershey RV show. Grand Design? Montana? Can't remember.
            Al and Kathe

Comment

Originally posted by lobsters View Post

Yeah. Pulling the windshield on a 5er would be a REALLY big project! [grin] Although I did see a 5er with a front window (and bathtub) at the 2017 Hershey RV show. Grand Design? Montana? Can't remember.
              Lol it would indeed. I know GD makes an S class Solitude with a front windshield, and I think a Momentum with the bedroom in the back and a big front window.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

AJ,

I just put the tape measure to everything again. Here are the measurements:

Refrigerator with doors off: 32" wide x 24-1/4" deep.

RV door: 28" wide, 27-3/4 to bathroom wall (overlaps area by 5"); 31-1/4" to edge of buffet counter top; 33" to overhead buffet cabinet (with door to control panel off). I don't know if those dimensions have changed any in two years.

That's 3-3/4" difference between the depth of the fridge and the width of the door. I don't have a piece of cardboard right now to cut out a template, but that wiggle room with the door width might be enough to make the turn around the buffet. There's more than enough room between the kitchen island and the slide/fridge framing to turn the fridge the right way and get it in place. I would suggest calling GD Customer Service (if you haven't already) and ask them a couple of questions: 1) do they install the refrigerator in the slide before the slide is installed in wall, and 2) if they have to replace a residential fridge what, if anything, do they have to remove or change to do it. I would also find a piece of cardboard, cut it to the fridge dimensions I've given above, and go through the motions.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rob Second Chance, you are right. The Samsung is 24 1/4 deep w/o doors and 32 1/8 wide. That will fit through. I made a template 24 x 34 (so narrower but longer--because that was the box I had on hand) which barely fits. So a 32 or 33 will come in fine. The reason I was having a problem is that I had also been looking at an LG (along with many others). The LG is 35 3/4 wide, which will not fit (my first template was the full width). I had forgotten that the Samsung is 32 1/8. My apologies for making you do the second measurement. Fortunately, there are several refrigerators in the 32" - 34" width range.

I have a web service request in to GDRV asking how they take the Norcold 2118 out of the 310GK when they need to. Hopefully, they will say it somehow goes out the door. It is 35" wide.

Hmmm. Is there a reciprocating saw like a Milwaukee Sawzall in my future?

-Al
                  Al and Kathe

Comment

Originally posted by lobsters View Post
                    Rob Second Chance, you are right. The Samsung is 24 1/4 deep w/o doors and 32 1/8 wide. That will fit through. I made a template 24 x 34 (so narrower but longer--because that was the box I had on hand) which barely fits. So a 32 or 33 will come in fine. The reason I was having a problem is that I had also been looking at an LG (along with many others). The LG is 35 3/4 wide, which will not fit (my first template was the full width). I had forgotten that the Samsung is 32 1/8. My apologies for making you do the second measurement. Fortunately, there are several refrigerators in the 32" - 34" width range.

I have a web service request in to GDRV asking how they take the Norcold 2118 out of the 310GK when they need to. Hopefully, they will say it somehow goes out the door. It is 35" wide.

Hmmm. Is there a reciprocating saw like a Milwaukee Sawzall in my future?

-Al
                    No apologies necessary... it's all of six steps from my chair to the door and there's a tape measure in the buffet drawer.

As for getting the Norcold out, that should be no problem, either. It's essentially the same dimensions as the Samsung and, in addition to the doors coming off, the absorption unit can be unbolted from the back giving another four inches or so.

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                    X