Converter and wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter and wiring

Haven’t gotten vin on our 2021 Imagine 17MKE but would like to put lithium batteries in. Need the proper converter and what amps should it be. Not even sure if this is the right way to go about it. Should the batteries go in the storage area or stay on the tongue? Thanks for any help.
    Kathy

Originally posted by kemcgraw View Post
    Haven’t gotten vin on our 2021 Imagine 17MKE but would like to put lithium batteries in. Need the proper converter and what amps should it be. Not even sure if this is the right way to go about it. Should the batteries go in the storage area or stay on the tongue? Thanks for any help.
    Kathy
    There are several forum members with Imagines that have converted to lithium batteries. Hopefully they will chime in soon. Here's a few threads to read in the meantime.

Running from Gnats
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...imagine-2600rb

tmrgn99
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-inverter-size

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...erter-chargers

These threads may have more info than you're looking for...but including them anyway!

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...verter-wattage

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ique-solutions

Welcome to GD's Technical Forum!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

There are pros and cons where ever you mount them. On the tongue, you retain more storage space, but you must be mindful of the weather. Too hot or too cold and the battery management system in your LiFePO4 batteries could shut them down. I have mine mounted on the tongue, and I've never had a problem. The primary concern I have is them getting too hot here in Arizona. So I just shade them if they will be in direct sunlight on a hot day.

If you mount them in the basement storage, they will be in a more benign environment, but you'll lose some storage space. Another advantage is that you'll typically have shorter battery cable runs in this configuration.

One other thing to consider is that LiFePO4 batteries are safe to actually mount inside the RV. For example, you could mount them under the bed if you wanted to.

You'll need to examine your converter when you get the the RV. I'm 90% certain it will be a WFCO WF-9855 model. This is a 55 amp converter. If you go to the Progressive Dynamics website, the proper replacement for the WF-9855 is the PD9160AL or PD9160ALV. This is a 60 amp version. But be careful when you order one of these. The PD9160AV is for conventional batteries. The "L" designator in the suffix is the lithium version. I ordered the PD-9160AL from a vendor on Amazon and received the "AV" version. Even though it was their error, I had to pay shipping to send it back.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I will start with these links and watch out for the model.
        Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          There are pros and cons where ever you mount them. On the tongue, you retain more storage space, but you must be mindful of the weather. Too hot or too cold and the battery management system in your LiFePO4 batteries could shut them down. I have mine mounted on the tongue, and I've never had a problem. The primary concern I have is them getting too hot here in Arizona. So I just shade them if they will be in direct sunlight on a hot day.

If you mount them in the basement storage, they will be in a more benign environment, but you'll lose some storage space. Another advantage is that you'll typically have shorter battery cable runs in this configuration.

One other thing to consider is that LiFePO4 batteries are safe to actually mount inside the RV. For example, you could mount them under the bed if you wanted to.

You'll need to examine your converter when you get the the RV. I'm 90% certain it will be a WFCO WF-9855 model. This is a 55 amp converter. If you go to the Progressive Dynamics website, the proper replacement for the WF-9855 is the PD9160AL or PD9160ALV. This is a 60 amp version. But be careful when you order one of these. The PD9160AV is for conventional batteries. The "L" designator in the suffix is the lithium version. I ordered the PD-9160AL from a vendor on Amazon and received the "AV" version. Even though it was their error, I had to pay shipping to send it back.

Jim
          Want to make sure you meant WFCO-8955 model

Comment

Originally posted by kemcgraw View Post

Want to make sure you meant WFCO-8955 model
            Taking a deeper look into your 17MKE, it has a 30 amp shore power connection. I believe in this configuration, you're correct. It will likely have the WFCO 8955, and not the 9855. The 8955 is an integrated converter and power center. Whereas the 9855 is a stand alone converter. Changing this out may be a little more challenging than just changing out a stand alone. I'd wait until you receive the new 17MKE before purchasing a replacement.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
            X