2017 Imagine 2800BH USB Ports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Also, what's your take on fusing? The light in the Storage compartment is already fused. Should I insert a second fuse between this USB device and the point I tap the power? I'm thinking no, but wanted an 2nd opinion.
    There is no need for another fuse. Only one fuse per circuit is needed.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Also, what's your take on fusing? The light in the Storage compartment is already fused. Should I insert a second fuse between this USB device and the point I tap the power? I'm thinking no, but wanted an 2nd opinion.
      Fusing is for wires, so if the wire you use to connect the outlet can handle the rating of the fuse, you don’t need another. If the wire steps down in size, you’ll need a smaller fuse to protect it.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Fusing is for wires, so if the wire you use to connect the outlet can handle the rating of the fuse, you don’t need another. If the wire steps down in size, you’ll need a smaller fuse to protect it.
        Never thought of it that way--thanks for the response. Probably going off on a tangent, but is this why GD has "hidden" fuses (like the awning, water pump, etc) in the camper?

mpking -- given the wire is definitely a "step down in size", a fuse is advised. (I'm glad you asked! Now I know to use one, too.)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Jkwilson - is absolutely correct in that the fuse is there to protect from an over current situation on the wiring. If all wire sizes are the same, the one fuse should be sufficient. If not, a secondary fuse installed on the smaller wires may (or may not) be required. If the OEM fuse is sufficient for the smaller wire, you're fine. If not, then two will be required. There are lots of charts that show fuse/wire size suitability.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Sounds like it would be in my best interest to not switch wire gauge. Another vote for the QC 3.0 panel mount, as it will accept that same gauge wire.
            Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Sounds like it would be in my best interest to not switch wire gauge. Another vote for the QC 3.0 panel mount, as it will accept that same gauge wire.
              I too agree QC 3.0. Even if you don't have a Qualcomm device it still fast charges. As for the small blue light voltage display, mounted vertically, on my "nightstand". Keeps me from stumbling over my own feet when I need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Charles and Susan
              2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
              Andersen Hitch
              2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Question about the end splice connectors. Is there a way to "uncrimp" them, or do you have to cut them off? I want to tap the power from the radio, but I don't want to shorten the wire if I can help it.
                Mike

Comment

Question about the end splice connectors. Is there a way to "uncrimp" them, or do you have to cut them off? I want to tap the power from the radio, but I don't want to shorten the wire if I can help it.
                  You might be able to reverse crimp them with a pair of pliers but generally you just cut them off. You'll only loose 1/2" or less of length if you cut really close.
                  Charles and Susan
                  2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                  Andersen Hitch
                  2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

ckreef . I ended up being able to reverse crimp them.

Things worked out pretty nice.
                    Mike

Comment

I never put any photos! (Linking to this thread for someone else, and I just realized this).

Steps:
                      1. Removed the radio from the entertainment center
                      2. Drilled out 1.25" hole in the wall next to the power jack. I did as close to the front as possible so that I would not have to struggle to get the plugs plugged in.
                      3. I decided to tap the power from the radio. The power draw and wire guage adequately fit on the fuse that was on the wiring.
                      4. Cleanup and take pictures
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-30 085827.png
Views:	281
Size:	776.7 KB
ID:	61975

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-30 085850.png
Views:	180
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	61976

I also added the same charger to under the bed.
                      1. I opened up the Universal Dock and drilled Diagonally thru the wood in the corner. (No pictures)
                      2. I ran the wiring up, and placed in split wire loom to protect it.
                      3. I added a BlueSea ST fuse block inside the Universal Dock. I chose to hide it inside the Universal dock because:
                        1. I will not access it very often, and the size of fuses was done correctly, so they should not blow. If they do blow, it's only 4 screws to access.
                        2. it will protect it from damage from items in the storage compartment.
                      4. I drilled the holes under the bed so they are up high. This protects from items Under the bed snagging them, and also items on the floor outside the bed not accidently bending the USB cables. I might added a box on the back side (or a metal / plastic plate) to protect the wiring from getting hit/snagged.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-30 085740.png
Views:	181
Size:	861.2 KB
ID:	61977

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-30 085801.png
Views:	152
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	61978

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-30 085909.png
Views:	167
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	61979
                      Mike

Comment

Updating my thread. Back in Post #9 I talked about technology generation. At the time I wrote this, I could not find a USB-C panel mount that was not going to suck.

I ran across these today:
                        https://amzn.to/38UtaOi

and
                        https://amzn.to/3uNg7a0

Top one is a 12Volt device. Bottom one is auto switching between 12 and 24 volts (if you have 12 volts, it's not 30 W, it's 20W)

Bottom device has an OFF switch, so you can turn it off and remove parasitic draw (Which is a big deal for me)

I'll probably swap one of the USB chargers in my unit to the bottom one. It's only about $15 bucks.

Tagging people who have posted about USB charging ports:

howson ckreef TucsonJim Heavysledz
                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X