Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimming Lights with an LCI OneControl (GD's CompassConnect)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimming Lights with an LCI OneControl (GD's CompassConnect)

Note: The original post has been edited to remove incorrect information. As I continue to learn about this system I will continue to update as required.

Eventually I'll consolidate this thread and put it in a Reference Material post, but I suspect there will be many questions and hashing out of some details before the information is definitive.

First...it can be frustrating and confusing to figure out what version of "MyRV", or "OneControl", (that Grand Design calls "Compass Connect") is in a particular coach. What I'll be writing in this post is based on LCI's OneControl system -- together we may learn that CompassConnect is different. At this point I really don't know. GDRV-Megan and/or GDRV-Emily -- if something in this post is off the mark please post a correction.

To make this easier to read, and to stick with GD's terminology, "MyRV", "OneControl" and "CompassConnect" will all be referred to as "CompassConnect", or CC from here on out.

There are CC systems that have discrete controllers (as shown in the pictures near the bottom of this post) and there are controllers that house multiple functions. The latter are called Unity boards. What I think I'm discovering is GD is using custom Unity boards in their trailers.

As this point there is not much information to share specific to how Unity boards are wired and configured. Ready2Retire is battling an issue with a Unity board right now. There's a picture of the board in his thread in post 3. There's a different Unity board in post 2. Bottom line: If you have a single control pad (which is commonly called an OCTP) for lighting, awnings, slides, etc, you will have either a Unity board, a Unity board and discrete controllers, or a combination of many discrete controllers.

Current CC OCTPs have different software versions (depending on when the trailer was manufactured), so the interface on the OCTP will be different. As of today there is v1, v2 and v3 OCTP versions.

You can tell the software version you have by the screen:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	vs.JPG Views:	0 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	36685
    I can read your mind: "What the heck does all this have to do with DIMMING LIGHTS, Howard?" I'm getting there--have patience, Padawan!

From what I've learned about discrete controllers, there are at least four different types to control lights. These first three possibilities (shown below) do not offer any inherit dimming capability:

Click image for larger version  Name:	No Dimming.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.3 KB ID:	36686

The board shown below can dim lights--with the OCTP not a mechanical dimmer switch. An on/off switch is an option to use with this board--you could have control through a switch and the OCTP.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dimmable.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.8 KB ID:	36687

OK...that's enough for this post. What isn't clear or could be explained better?

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 12-06-2020, 09:50 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Based on what I see in the CompassConnect manual, I suspect GD's software is a branch of OCTP v3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compass Connect.JPG
Views:	2998
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	36689

The most current CC manual for the GD system is here: https://support.lci1.com/documents/g...st-may-31-2020

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty certain when I was snooping around our 2020 351M, but most of the modules are now built on to one board. The only "auxiliary" module I found was for the Schwintek slide controller.

Our Software is V3.
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
        I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty certain when I was snooping around our 2020 351M, but most of the modules are now built on to one board. The only "auxiliary" module I found was for the Schwintek slide controller.

Our Software is V3.
        I'd be very interested in a picture of what's in your trailer, Curtis. Early CC units didn't use the CAN BUS system. That's what the new modules are using--it's a true multiplex setup.

Comment

My version is currently V 2.0. In an effort to resolve my Unity X4 board issue (thread referenced in post #1), LCI sent me another touchpad. Due to the holiday and work commitments (some of us still have that J-O-B thing going...) I hav not had an opportunity to mess with it. I don't know if the new touchpad will be V 2.0 or V 3.0. Hopefully I'll have time to mess with it today.

John
          2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
          2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
          2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
          2021 Can Am Maverick X3 Turbo RR
          2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
          1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
          MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'd be very interested in a picture of what's in your trailer, Curtis. Early CC units didn't use the CAN BUS system. That's what the new modules are using--it's a true multiplex setup.
            I'll be picking the trailer up on Sunday for some warranty work. I'll try and snap some pictures then. On the 351M, it's mounted behind a basement panel where the stairs are located.
            2020 Momentum 351M
            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

howson for clarification, the only brand that is using One Control (the wifi version) is Momentum. We are using Compass Connect (the Bluetooth version) on everything else.

Comment

howson as promised

Name:	PXL_20201207_000125994.jpg
Views:	3451
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	37025
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                  howson as promised

Name:	PXL_20201207_000125994.jpg
Views:	3451
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	37025
                  That's a OneControl Unity X4 board, Curtis. A sweet board, if I say so myself. There's a lot of options that are programmable by the owner.

Unlike John's picture of his X4, it looks like the REV IN connector (bottom right in the picture) has a connector with wires. Does your trailer have manual switches for the awnings in addition to the control from the OCTP (the screen)?

Comment

Yes, I have manual awning and slide controls as well as a manual light switch for the kitchen lights. All are also replicated in the touchscreen
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

As you may know (if you read John's thread) there's a diagram on the inside of your Unity board's lid. What you'll find is a fancier version of this:

Bottom side of Board (as oriented in picture in previous post);

Name:	bottom.JPG
Views:	2974
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	37031

Top of Board (as oriented in pic--that's why text is backwards)

Name:	Top of Board.JPG
Views:	2863
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	37032
                      For gee whiz, "REV" means a Reversing Latch Relay, or something that's driven in two directions (electric slide, awning, vent, etc).

LATCH means a LATCHING RELAY which drives something that's turned on and off, like a light or a pump.

DIMM OUT is the lights that can be dimmed that can be controlled (dimmed) through your OCTP. You have one of the few boards installed by GD that has a dimming feature.

Probably enough trivia for now...

Comment

I appreciate that my friend. I was wondering what each connector does. Is a manual available for this?
                        2020 Momentum 351M
                        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

OffToHavasu -- I believe they are here: https://support.lci1.com/onecontrol-...-formerly-myrv

As an aside, I've learned much since post #1 in this thread. Grand Design's CompassConnect is much more "end user friendly" than LCI's baseline OneControl. (CompassConnect's panel is literally plug-and-play and will configure the controller according to the trailer's floorplan.) However, as a semi-computer nerd I like how the X4 provides all kinds of options.

A word of caution at this point is warranted: it is possible to mess up the programming on the X4. If any reader of this thread is considering experimenting with the X4's configuration screen they should do so with trepidation.

Overall I'd compare CompassConnect vs OneControl to an XBox vs build-it-yourself PC. The XBox works great for it's singular intended purpose, but the PC gives you much more flexibility if you're willing to do the configuring. Same with CompassConnect vs OneControl.

I don't want to sound negative--for the vast majority of GD's owners the CompassConnect looks like a great product. It will be super simple to service should a board or panel fail. Literally plug in the replacement and it will just work. Not true with an X4--it will take a bit of programming and configuring.

Comment

Below is an example of the CompassConnect X180T, a custom board made by LCI specifically for GD trailers. Note that the CompassConnect system does not use an OCTP ("screen") like what you see in a OneControl setup. CompassConnect has a panel that looks like the one we're used to seeing (but it's far from the same).

The image below is from an LCI presentation. If I get my hand slapped I'll have to pull it down.

What should be of interest to a lot of owners based on this thread's title is the lack of any DIMM IN or DIMM OUT connections on the board. Unfortunately that means the X180T board does not have any light dimming control potential.

Click image for larger version  Name:	X180T.JPG Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	37045

What's unique about this setup is that when the panel is plugged into the X180T (via a wire/system called CANBUS along with 12v power) the panel and board self-configure. As previously stated, that self-programming feature is fantastic for the majority of owners (and RV technicians working on our RVs).

Comment

Howard maybe you have the intel on this. I have the above panel on my 2800BH. I am trying to figure out how it gets the inputs. Is there a junction panel somewhere that feed the CompassConnect panel?
                              2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Working...
                              X