Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimming Lights with an LCI OneControl (GD's CompassConnect)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giesis View Post
    I would keep an eye on water leaks down there. I am pretty sure if the X180 gets wet it will not be pretty.
    We think alike. I'd like to see a picture of how it is actually installed in relation to the water lines.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Now I am a little more confused ... if the X180 has it's own self-resetting fuse for all of the outputs where do the fuse panel fuses come into play in the circuit? My panel has 12v fuses for each of the devices that are controlled by the X180.

Also, I should have been more clear on my output question (sorry) ... for the (4) 5amp latch outputs from the X180 is it safe to assume that it is outputting only the + wire of the circuit and that each of those (4) outputs is the + wire of the circuit controlling a separate device (interior lights, exterior lights, water pump, etc...) and the common goes directly to the device?

I thought the same thing about the X180 being under the sink. The picture shows a little wider view of the installation, although you still cannot quite see the piping placement in the photo. The RV is in storage right now and I can only get to it periodically to check further.
      2021 Imagine 3100RD
      Northwest Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Toczek View Post
        howson Now I am a little more confused ... if the X180 has it's own self-resetting fuse for all of the outputs where do the fuse panel fuses come into play in the circuit? My panel has 12v fuses for each of the devices that are controlled by the X180.
        A great question. I don't know the answer.

The latest drawing I have for the 3100RD is dated from 2019. The Electric Plan shows a 30A slide fuse in position 1 and another 30A slide fuse in position 2 on the Power Distribution Panel. From what I know of how the "X" boards work, having individual fuses before the board makes no sense. There's only one power input (versus control, or signal inputs) to the board. Having fuses on the output of the board seems to defeat the purpose for having a bus-enabled board. All the output wiring would have to go back to the Power Distribution Panel, then out to the components.

Let me caveat that I don't have a board-level picture of the X180T. The previous "self-resetting fuse" comment is based on what I know of the X4 and my assumption that the same design concept applies to the X180T (and X1.5 which is used in other GD trailers).

When you get a chance, please take a picture of your Power Distribution Panel fuses and post it.

Also, I should have been more clear on my output question (sorry) ... for the (4) 5amp latch outputs from the X180 is it safe to assume that it is outputting only the + wire of the circuit and that each of those (4) outputs is the + wire of the circuit controlling a separate device (interior lights, exterior lights, water pump, etc...) and the common goes directly to the device?

Yes. That's my understanding. The latching outputs used in your 3100RD are labeled interior light, exterior light, gas water heater and electric water heater. There are four output wires on the latching output connector on the board, so I expect these are all the +12v wires to those components.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson

I found a picture that I had for my own documentation of my power panel. You can see that all 12v devices have separate fuses.

Thanks for all of the info that you have been providing. I am determined to get to the bottom of the whole dimming thing with the Compass Connect.
          Last edited by howson; 02-05-2021, 01:08 PM. Reason: Deleted unquoted quote to clarify post.
          2021 Imagine 3100RD
          Northwest Indiana

Comment

I found a picture that I had for my own documentation of my power panel. You can see that all 12v devices have separate fuses.

Thanks for all of the info that you have been providing. I am determined to get to the bottom of the whole dimming thing with the Compass Connect.

Yep--that's confusing (to me). Only speculation at this point but maybe the two slide fuses are there but don't actually protect the circuit. Given a few hours and a multimeter we could figure it out by tracing down the wiring.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Yep--that's confusing (to me). Only speculation at this point but maybe the two slide fuses are there but don't actually protect the circuit. Given a few hours and a multimeter we could figure it out by tracing down the wiring.
              Howard on my trailer the fuses in the distribution panel for the slide, water heater and lights are connected to the same line that goes to the X180. The only thing I can thinks of is that GD is going to stop using the 12V distribution panel on future unit and move to the X180.

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Howard on my trailer the fuses in the distribution panel for the slide, water heater and lights are connected to the same line that goes to the X180. The only thing I can thinks of is that GD is going to stop using the 12V distribution panel on future unit and move to the X180.
                That's even more confusing because the only input lines to the X180 is the CANBUS cable. That means that they are running the output line back to the distribution panel??? Makes no sense to me .... If that is the case how are the devices getting power?
                2021 Imagine 3100RD
                Northwest Indiana

Comment

That's even more confusing because the only input lines to the X180 is the CANBUS cable. That means that they are running the output line back to the distribution panel??? Makes no sense to me .... If that is the case how are the devices getting power?
                  Sorry I didn't mean inputs. The way my system was installed, the 12V goes to the X180 and the power is send out to the different systems when you turn them on in the control center. Hopefully it makes sense.
                  2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

??? Forgive the crude drawing, but something akin to what's below? Are you sure?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Like This.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	42051

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson I think it's a great drawing - a lot more effort than I would have put into it ...

I can't see how that would work. You press a button (ex. interior lights) on the control panel (or use the bluetooth phone app); the control panel sends a signal through the CANBUS to the X180; the X180 provides +12V through the latch ouput (from it's own power inputs); and volia ... the lights go on! I just can't figure out how the power distribution panel comes into play for these 12v devices.
                      2021 Imagine 3100RD
                      Northwest Indiana

Comment

??? Forgive the crude drawing, but something akin to what's below? Are you sure?
                        Ok so lets take my slide circuit. Usually, 12V comes from the battery to the slide auto-reset, to the switch and then to the motor (this is what LCI told me). My slide was wired ( for what I can see without opening the belly) with the auto-reset in between the X180 and the motor.
                        Last edited by howson; 02-05-2021, 04:40 PM.
                        2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

howson I think it's a great drawing - a lot more effort than I would have put into it ...

I can't see how that would work. You press a button (ex. interior lights) on the control panel (or use the bluetooth phone app); the control panel sends a signal through the CANBUS to the X180; the X180 provides +12V through the latch ouput (from it's own power inputs); and volia ... the lights go on! I just can't figure out how the power distribution panel comes into play for these 12v devices.
                          You've got it right. That's exactly how it works except the power input is singular (there's only one power input).

Howard & Francine

Comment

Ok so lets take my slide circuit. Usually, 12V comes from the battery to the slide auto-reset, to the switch and then to the motor (this is what LCI told me). My slide was wired ( for what I can see without opening the belly) with the auto-reset in between the X180 and the motor.
                            Depends on what type of slide we're discussing--Schwintek or electric through-frame?

Howard & Francine

Comment

Depends on what type of slide we're discussing--Schwintek or electric through-frame?
                              Electric through-frame
                              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Electric through-frame
                                OK, so previously stated (abbreviated for clarity):
                                • battery > auto-reset c/b
                                • auto-reset > switch
                                • switch > motor
                                That's close. My 315RLTS' electric thru-frames are wired like this:
                                • Battery > auto-reset c/b
                                • auto-reset > Power Distribution Panel (PDP)
                                • PDP > Slide 30A Fuse
                                • Fuse > Switch
                                • Switch > Slide Motor
                                The way I think a slide is controlled and powered with a X180T is like this:
                                • Battery > auto-reset c/b
                                • auto-reset > Power Distribution Panel (PDP)
                                • PDP > Fuse(?)
                                • Fuse* > X180T power Input
                                • Slide Switch (sends command signal only) > X180T Slide Input
                                • X180T Slide Power Output** > Motor

*Fuse protects the wiring from PDP to input side of the X180T
                                **output of the X180T is protected by circuitry on the X180T's board

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                                X