Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimming Lights with an LCI OneControl (GD's CompassConnect)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giesis View Post
    Howard maybe you have the intel on this. I have the above panel on my 2800BH. I am trying to figure out how it gets the inputs. Is there a junction panel somewhere that feed the CompassConnect panel?
    Here's what I think I know: the panel on a CompassConnect setup is pre-programmed ("firmware"?) by LCI according to Grand Design's specifications according to a given floorplan. This is possible since GD already knows the connections on the X180T that will be utilized on a given floorplan and what that connection will be used for.

For example (not real, I'm just making it up): Latching Output 1 is connected to the light circuit in the living room. (Lights are either ON or OFF, so a LATCH circuit is used vs a Reversing Latch Relay output.) Since LCI knows this (GD told them) the "firmware" in the panel is programmed to that function with no exception or possibility of exception.

Make sense?
    Last edited by howson; 12-06-2020, 09:49 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Giesis -- does your 2800BH have a Schwintek? (I could find out but too lazy and tired to research.) If it does, and if you know where the controller is, will you please take a picture? I've like to know if it is CANBUS enabled or not. A picture will tell me instantly.

Thanks in advance for your help? (Can you tell I like learning about this stuff?)
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        Giesis -- does your 2800BH have a Schwintek? (I could find out but too lazy and tired to research.) If it does, and if you know where the controller is, will you please take a picture? I've like to know if it is CANBUS enabled or not. A picture will tell me instantly.

Thanks in advance for your help? (Can you tell I like learning about this stuff?)
        No my 2800BH doesn’t have Schwintek.
        I opened the side panel next to the CompassConnect and there is nothing there. I can see wires coming but nothing else.
        I am just trying to map my system just in case something goes wrong I have an idea where to start looking. For example I cant find the awning fuse or the water pump fuse.
        2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Here's what I think I know: the panel on a CompassConnect setup is pre-programmed ("firmware"?) by LCI according to Grand Design's specifications according to a given floorplan. This is possible since GD already knows the connections on the X180T that will be utilized on a given floorplan and what that connection will be used for.

For example (not real, I'm just making it up): Latching Output 1 is connected to the light circuit in the living room. (Lights are either ON or OFF, so a LATCH circuit is used vs a Reversing Latch Relay output.) Since LCI knows this (GD told them) the "firmware" in the panel is programmed to that function with no exception or possibility of exception.

Make sense?
          Ok that make sense.
          One thing I notice that changed from previews years is the wire that powers the water pump no longer feeds 17 other stuff. My lights dont dim whenever I use the pump.
          2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Ok that make sense.
            One thing I notice that changed from previews years is the wire that powers the water pump no longer feeds 17 other stuff. My lights dont dim whenever I use the pump.
            What's interesting about these boards at the technical level is the circuits can share a fuse. That's because the board will prioritize and only allow one circuit to operate at a time. At least that's true with an OCTP-controlled system. Not sure about the panel in your 2800BH.

I'd be very curious to know if the water pump in your trailer has a separate, discrete fuse (like the one near my which is a standard blade fuse in a holder) or if the circuit protection is done all by the X180T.

Below is an X4 and a few of the self-resetting fuses (circuit breakers?) are circled. There's so many of them on the board since this is a mult-function setup that controls almost everything (leveling and Schwintek are exceptions) on the big Momentums. I don't have a picture of what the X180T looks like under the cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuses self-resetting.JPG
Views:	1421
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	37070

Howard & Francine

Comment

OffToHavasu -- I believe they are here: https://support.lci1.com/onecontrol-...-formerly-myrv

As an aside, I've learned much since post #1 in this thread. Grand Design's CompassConnect is much more "end user friendly" than LCI's baseline OneControl. (CompassConnect's panel is literally plug-and-play and will configure the controller according to the trailer's floorplan.) However, as a semi-computer nerd I like how the X4 provides all kinds of options.

A word of caution at this point is warranted: it is possible to mess up the programming on the X4. If any reader of this thread is considering experimenting with the X4's configuration screen they should do so with trepidation.

Overall I'd compare CompassConnect vs OneControl to an XBox vs build-it-yourself PC. The XBox works great for it's singular intended purpose, but the PC gives you much more flexibility if you're willing to do the configuring. Same with CompassConnect vs OneControl.

I don't want to sound negative--for the vast majority of GD's owners the CompassConnect looks like a great product. It will be super simple to service should a board or panel fail. Literally plug in the replacement and it will just work. Not true with an X4--it will take a bit of programming and configuring.
              I use to build every PC I owned. I just got cheaper an faster to order once I had a real job.

You should make it out here to Southern California and we can play around with it and see what else we can come up with.

At the same time, Cate&Rob can come out and change all my rubber hoses to pex. And I'm sure we'll find something for TucsonJim to do.

I'll supply libations and food. LOL.
              Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
              2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
              2020 Momentum 351M
              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

howson Great information in this thread! So do the units (I have an Imagine 3100RD) with the Unity X180T controllers also have a multi-output led panel embedded somewhere in their circuit? Even though the X180T doesn't have user programmable dimming capability there still has to be a way to place a dimmer between the power source (after the controller) and the lights (providing they are dimmable themselves. I would think that either way a PWM dimmer or some kind would work.
                2021 Imagine 3100RD
                Northwest Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Toczek View Post
                  howson Great information in this thread! So do the units (I have an Imagine 3100RD) with the Unity X180T controllers also have a multi-output led panel embedded somewhere in their circuit? Even though the X180T doesn't have user programmable dimming capability there still has to be a way to place a dimmer between the power source (after the controller) and the lights (providing they are dimmable themselves. I would think that either way a PWM dimmer or some kind would work.
                  You're spot-on, Guy, and your description is exactly the purpose for this thread. The X180T and interface panels do not (and can not) dim lights. It will take a creative approach by the owner to incorporate something into their setup if light dimming is desired.

I'd like to experiment if I could get my hands on a few items to see what would happen if the OEM Imagine (CompassConnect) panel was replaced with an OCTP. used with an X180T and then add a Multi-Output LED Lighting Control Module to the CANBUS circuit. Moved the lighting from the X180T to dimmable outputs of the light module and voila', dimmable lights through the OCTP if the X180T can be configured. manually. One heck of an expensive way to get dimming lights, too, as the 7" OCTP is >$600 and the lighting module is north of $400. (I didn't say it was practical--but I'd love to play with it!)

At that point it probably would be better to just get the OCTP and replace the X180T with a Unity X4. Way more capability and all the wires could be reconnected to the Unity board. But again...that's over $1,200 for dimming lights. Yep, that's not going to happen!

GDRV-Megan and/or GDRV-Emily -- if there's one item I'd suggest GD consider adding to your proprietary CompassConnect system (by modifying the X180T board and panels) is a dimming feature for lighting in the coach. Adding the ability to dim lights won't cause any additional wiring or impact production but will add a much-desired customer feature.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howson is right. MUCH desired!
                    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

howson - Today I spent a few hours opening panels and looking for things around the RV so I can map my electrical system. Right behind the TV there is a panel that I thought was stapled from the inside but it not. The panel was just there. Behind that panel I found the X180T. There a couple of things I am trying to figure out.

Name:	B199431F-1ABC-4221-84DA-A9FF56408052.jpeg
Views:	1772
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	37989
                      1- What is the Lockout Brake Light Signal for?
                      2- Could the 15A Latch be for the water pump? I took every drawer out and could not find the fuse for it.
                      3- Could the 15A Rev #1 be for the awning? Cant find the fuse it either.

Also, the wires connected to it are no secured with anything. I think with time and vibration they can come disconnected from the X180T. Can it be laid flat or does it have to be upright?
                      2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

What is the Lockout Brake Light Signal for?
                        When there is power on the lockout input several of the board's functions will not work. The terminology came from the original application ("emergency brake" or engine-energized in a motorized RV) but can be applied to our RVs, too. An interesting experiment would be to have your tow vehicle's 7-pin connected with your lights on and then see what, if any, circuits on your control panel work (or don't). I am not sure if it's a ground that's applied or a +12v signal.

Could the 15A Latch be for the water pump? I took every drawer out and could not find the fuse for it.
                        By "latch" you mean the brown, blue, orange and white wires in the upper right hand corner, right? My guess is that each output controls a "latchable" output, one could be the water pump. Lights are the most common circuit that is either on or off (thus a "latch").

Could the 15A Rev #1 be for the awning? Cant find the fuse it either.
                        Interesting that there's only one wire in the top slot of the Reversing Polarity Latch relay section of the board. Typically there are two wires--one for extension and on for retraction. I'd guess the orange and white wires control the slide; the white and blue are for the awning. What the top wire is for escapes me.

Can you post a higher resolution that shows the label data better and also a picture of the control board?

Thanks! This is very interesting and is helping everyone reading this thread to learn more about the CompassConnect system.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

howson I’ll take better pictures tomorrow of the data labels and the control board. Thanks for your help.
                          2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

howson Let me if you can see the text better.

Name:	9E3DEDDE-B679-4E28-BF8A-F2EE77D743B6.jpeg
Views:	1363
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	38089

Name:	CFB7BCAB-2136-45C0-A4A1-5D211BF1CCC3.jpeg
Views:	1294
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	38088
                            2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

An interesting experiment would be to have your tow vehicle's 7-pin connected with your lights on and then see what, if any, circuits on your control panel work (or don't). I am not sure if it's a ground that's applied or a +12v signal.

If the just 7-pin connected everything works like normal. Now, if I depress the brake pedal the slide and the awning don’t work. The interior lights and the water pump work just fine. My guess is the X180T is prioritizing the breakaway switch, just in case.
                              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

...can see the text better.
                                OK! Now it makes sense. The 15A Latch (single wire) is most likely tied to the water pump. The 5A Latch wires are (most likely) lights. The two REV LATCH sets with wires are the slide and awning. The 30A is most likely the slide, 15A is most likely the awning. (This is speculation, but not a total guess.)

Do you see the two large SANYOU self-resetting "fuses" on the board? I bet they work with the 30A REV outputs (one which looks like it is used with the slide the other unused). There's other self-resetting fuses on the board, too.

The shot of the board is very interesting...but I think I was unclear with my earlier request. Can you post a picture of the control panel (the one with the switches and lights you use to turn things on and off)?

One note should you get curious and consider disconnecting wires to find out what-wire-controls-what-component: please do not disconnect the CANBUS connections in the upper left corner. The CANBUS is similar to the human body's spinal cord--the CANBUS is the "transmitter" that connects the "brains" to the "parts".

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                                X