No announcement yet.

New lithium batteries installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50ST8R -- the pic below may be more useful at this point to use as a comparison. There's only a few things running in my trailer so yours will be different but it should give you some idea:

Multiplus
    BMV-712
    SmartSolar MPPT
    Winegard Air 360+ (and Gateway router)
    "normal" items (propane leak detector, etc)
    Small AC loads (microwave clock, DeWalt charger, etc)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Status.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	37307
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

50ST8R & howson
      Just advice on the bluetooth adapter. I had both, and sent the bluetooth adapter back. It was nice for checking the inverter status on my phone (until I got Victron Connect running on my Raspberry Pi), but it does not allow for changing most of the settings. In order to change almost everything on the Multiplus you need the MK3 USB interface to either a laptop or Android phone. I found this most disappointing after working with my BMV and Solar Controller which allow for everything to be changed in the app via bluetooth.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

50ST8R I got bit by the SPS being backordered as well and elected to go without it. I have my Multiplus wired to feed one side of the panel only using only the internal transfer switch. I figured I would try it for a while and if I found it to be an issue I would order the SPS down the road. I moved basically everything to the inverter phase in my panel except the factory converter (still there as a backup), water heater and fireplace. Everything else is on the inverter phase (including both AC units). I have had everything running and am well below 50 amps on that phase so no issue there. The only downside is since not everything is going through the Multiplus, I have to manage the power assist feature somewhat manually. Basically the total current use it is showing does not include the fireplace or water heater. This is generally not an issue since if I am that short on power I am running the water heater on gas, and if I am running the fireplace I am not running the AC units. In practice it has worked well so far this year.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          50ST8R & howson
          Just advice on the bluetooth adapter. I had both, and sent the bluetooth adapter back. It was nice for checking the inverter status on my phone (until I got Victron Connect running on my Raspberry Pi), but it does not allow for changing most of the settings. In order to change almost everything on the Multiplus you need the MK3 USB interface to either a laptop or Android phone. I found this most disappointing after working with my BMV and Solar Controller which allow for everything to be changed in the app via bluetooth.
          Ugh--I was afraid of that. Thanks, Neil.

50ST8R -- you can confirm with Battle Born or another authoritative source (after all Neil and I are just "random guys on the internet") but I trust Neil's inputs are accurate.

Having the ability to program the Multiplus is not optional to get it configured correctly. At this point the only method I (and Neil) know of is through the MK3-USB adapter. (I can't even do it through my CCGX!)

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Ugh--I was afraid of that. Thanks, Neil.

50ST8R -- you can confirm with Battle Born or another authoritative source (after all Neil and I are just "random guys on the internet") but I trust Neil's inputs are accurate.

Having the ability to program the Multiplus is not optional to get it configured correctly. At this point the only method I (and Neil) know of is through the MK3-USB adapter. (I can't even do it through my CCGX!)

Howard
            That’s correct, the only other option would be to give your required settings to your vendor and have them preload it before they ship it. But even then you’ll need to do some tweaking that will require the interface cable.

Neil Citro

Comment

50ST8R -- the pic below may be more useful at this point to use as a comparison. There's only a few things running in my trailer so yours will be different but it should give you some idea:

Multiplus
              BMV-712
              SmartSolar MPPT
              Winegard Air 360+ (and Gateway router)
              "normal" items (propane leak detector, etc)
              Small AC loads (microwave clock, DeWalt charger, etc)

Name:	Status.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	37307
              Howard,

here are screen shots of BMV and Multiplus. The converter has been isolated now, I can’t find any receptacles on the same circuit so just dropped the breaker instead of disconnecting. Will try to work a baseline today and get my MaxAir covers on while there is warmer weather with no wind. Only 45 today so not bad to crawl on roof to finish covers.😁
              Attached Files
              Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
              2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

50ST8R I got bit by the SPS being backordered as well and elected to go without it. I have my Multiplus wired to feed one side of the panel only using only the internal transfer switch. I figured I would try it for a while and if I found it to be an issue I would order the SPS down the road. I moved basically everything to the inverter phase in my panel except the factory converter (still there as a backup), water heater and fireplace. Everything else is on the inverter phase (including both AC units). I have had everything running and am well below 50 amps on that phase so no issue there. The only downside is since not everything is going through the Multiplus, I have to manage the power assist feature somewhat manually. Basically the total current use it is showing does not include the fireplace or water heater. This is generally not an issue since if I am that short on power I am running the water heater on gas, and if I am running the fireplace I am not running the AC units. In practice it has worked well so far this year.
                Ncitro,

i used all about RVs diagram for using a manual switch and it seems to work fine. Stays in 2 except when I am actually hooked up to 50 amp when I change it back to 1.
                as we have only had the unit for a month now and weather will soon not cooperate for us doing much for the next few months, I am just trying to establish some good baseline as we enjoy Harvest Host but don’t want to have to have a generator because the batteries are not holding. I think we are getting there.
                Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post

Ncitro,

i used all about RVs diagram for using a manual switch and it seems to work fine. Stays in 2 except when I am actually hooked up to 50 amp when I change it back to 1.
                  as we have only had the unit for a month now and weather will soon not cooperate for us doing much for the next few months, I am just trying to establish some good baseline as we enjoy Harvest Host but don’t want to have to have a generator because the batteries are not holding. I think we are getting there.
                  You don't want (or need) a "mid-point deviation" displayed. Your setup isn't wired to do this measurement anyway.

What I suggest is a temperature of your battery. Here's how to change it:

On the BMV's main display click the small wheel in the upper right hand corner.

Select the DISPLAY option on the SETTINGS page. Only one of the three settings highlighted will display at the bottom of the BMV screen. The only one we use for our purposes is the Temperature display setting.

Name:	One of these.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	37388

Change your BMV's settings to look like the picture below and you'll see the change on your main screen.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard,

here are screen shots of BMV and Multiplus. The converter has been isolated now, I can’t find any receptacles on the same circuit so just dropped the breaker instead of disconnecting. Will try to work a baseline today and get my MaxAir covers on while there is warmer weather with no wind. Only 45 today so not bad to crawl on roof to finish covers.😁
                    Killing the breaker is good, thats what most of us do. Looks like the inverter is not drawing much. Most of the 1.8 amps you are using is coming from 12V loads. I would say that is probably about normal for parasitic 12v loads with the battery kill switch on. I would be curious what it is with the kill switch off, should drop to just a few tenths of an amp. With 3 Battleborns, that parasitic draw is .5% of your capacity, so for the purposes of staying at a Harvest Hosts should not be a factor.

If you are looking for more places to spend your money, look into the Renogy DC to DC charger Howard and I have installed. Gets you 40 amps of charge from your vehicle alternator while driving. It has made dry overnights way easier to manage. Even with the solar I have, the DC to DC is a lifesaver on rainy drive days.

Neil Citro

Comment

You don't want (or need) a "mid-point deviation" displayed. Your setup isn't wired to do this measurement anyway.

What I suggest is a temperature of your battery. Here's how to change it:

On the BMV's main display click the small wheel in the upper right hand corner.

Select the DISPLAY option on the SETTINGS page. Only one of the three settings highlighted will display at the bottom of the BMV screen. The only one we use for our purposes is the Temperature display setting.

Name:	One of these.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	37388

Change your BMV's settings to look like the picture below and you'll see the change on your main screen.
                      Thanks. I had a long conversation with battleborn today and they changed my BMV-712 settings. I changed the temperature but I will need to move the sensor from the Multiplus to the batteries. The only temperature sensor I have is on the Multiplus now so have to pull that up to see temperature.

yeah I considered a DC to DC but decided to hold off for now. Since I know more of what is pulling the draw, I think the wife and I can figure out what to use or not when Harvest Hosting.

i know you guys have warmer temps than me but just a question, what are your thoughts on battery blanket pads?

Comment

Thanks. I had a long conversation with battleborn today and they changed my BMV-712 settings. I changed the temperature but I will need to move the sensor from the Multiplus to the batteries. The only temperature sensor I have is on the Multiplus now so have to pull that up to see temperature.

yeah I considered a DC to DC but decided to hold off for now. Since I know more of what is pulling the draw, I think the wife and I can figure out what to use or not when Harvest Hosting.

i know you guys have warmer temps than me but just a question, what are your thoughts on battery blanket pads?
                        I went without, I do not plan to camp when its that cold, and if I do I figure the BMS should protect the battery and worst case I will just be unable to charge them until it warms up.

Neil Citro

Comment

I went without, I do not plan to camp when its that cold, and if I do I figure the BMS should protect the battery and worst case I will just be unable to charge them until it warms up.
                          Very true. Say I see you are from Illinois, where? We grew up just east of Decatur and still go there often to visit. We are currently just outside of Milwaukee.

Comment

Very true. Say I see you are from Illinois, where? We grew up just east of Decatur and still go there often to visit. We are currently just outside of Milwaukee.
                            I live in Volo, southwest of Gurnee about twenty minutes. I’m maybe an hour from Milwaukee on a good day. It’s a small world, I’m glad to lend a hand if you ever need one.

Neil Citro

Comment

Very interesting--I didn't know that existed. There are multiple ways to configure the Multiplus--I started with MK3-USB and a laptop. It's now possible through an Android phone and the VictronConnect app with that same adapter. Having a bluetooth option is a nice choice.

Now I see it!

If you want, take screenshots using your phone (easy on an Android...not sure about an iPhone) and post them here with how the inverter is configured. I'll then post the same screen as a comparison and then we can discuss any differences.

Also, please note the firmware version in your BMV-712 and also the version running in your Multiplus. That will make a difference. (My stuff updates through the laptop's internet through the MK3 adapter, and the BMV and MPPT through the CCGX's WiFi link.) The point is not how the update happens--the point it to make sure we're talking the same firmware version or it could get confusing.

Howard

P.S. My device firmware settings are below. I get a bit overzealous about Victron stuff...but I really like the CCGX (or any of the GX-enable devices) and their ability to connect through the internet for monitoring! This is what's happening in my system right this minute along with a history of the solar generation for the day. Easy to see the solar drop off once the batteries were fully charged.

Name:	Right Now.JPG
Views:	630
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	37305

Name:	BMV-712.JPG
Views:	683
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	37303

Name:	Multiplus.JPG
Views:	631
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	37304
                              Howard,

i am wondering if I use my Android tablet if that might work with the Multiplus. No longer have an Android phone. Other choice is to get an MK3 adapter. I like your and Neil’s DC to DC and May out it on my Christmas list

Comment

Howard,

i am wondering if I use my Android tablet if that might work with the Multiplus. No longer have an Android phone. Other choice is to get an MK3 adapter. I like your and Neil’s DC to DC and May out it on my Christmas list
                                That should work, I think they run the same os as the Android phones. Even with an Android tablet or phone you still need an MK3 adapter to change the settings though. It just takes the place of doing it with a laptop.

howson can confirm, but my understanding is you need a MK3 cable to change pretty much any settings except the incoming power for power assist. Anything to do with charge profile or the like needs the MK3 cable.

I would be glad to let you use mine if you wanted to bring your rig down, but I would suggest you have your own in case you need to tweak the settings or do any troubleshooting down the road.

And the DC to DC is sweet. I hemmed and hawed on it since I had the solar already, but its been super nice a bunch of times when we were in rain. Definitely recommend.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X