Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boone Docking or Dry Camping, Going Solar in a XLS 22RBE. Not yet purchased.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boone Docking or Dry Camping, Going Solar in a XLS 22RBE. Not yet purchased.

Hope this is the correct forum: We have yet to buy our XLS 22RBE, but are researching the possibilities. Can the 2 SOK Lithium batteries be moved to the front storage area, just beside the utility station. Will I need a DC to DC controller installed as NOT to fry my alternator. Like the Renogy DCC30S 12v 30A DC-DC w/MPPT controller? Is there room on the roof for two 200Watt Solar panels 64.57L, 26.57,w, 1.38inch?Will they fit on the roof? Battery Monitor? Anything I'm missing here? Any recommendations would be great.
    Towing with: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/ tow package - OEM alternator 180Amp - Hitch 720lbs - GVW 7200lbs
    Thank you

Originally posted by m93117@hotmail.com View Post
    Hope this is the correct forum: We have yet to buy our XLS 22RBE, but are researching the possibilities. Can the 2 SOK Lithium batteries be moved to the front storage area, just beside the utility station. Will I need a DC to DC controller installed as NOT to fry my alternator. Like the Renogy DCC30S 12v 30A DC-DC w/MPPT controller? Is there room on the roof for two 200Watt Solar panels 64.57L, 26.57,w, 1.38inch?Will they fit on the roof? Battery Monitor? Anything I'm missing here? Any recommendations would be great.
    Towing with: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/ tow package - OEM alternator 180Amp - Hitch 720lbs - GVW 7200lbs
    Thank you
    I do not have that specific trailer, but can answer some of your questions. The DC to DC charger is a good idea but probably not required. I have added it (along with a few other members) to get additional charging out of my truck when traveling from dry site to dry site on cloudy days. For two years I used it with the factory charging pigtail with four Lion Energy lithium batteries with no issue. My experience was even with dual heavy duty alternators in my Diesel truck I only ever saw 7-10 amps of power going from the truck to the trailer. The alternators in modern vehicles are controlled by the vehicle computer and it should not be an issue.

I strongly recommend a battery monitor, particularly if you are going to be doing dry camping. I am partial to the Victron, but have also used the Trimetric with good success.

Your other questions will have to wait for someone with your floorplan to answer.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Hope this is the correct forum...
      Moved to Electrical channel. (It's no problem!) When you get a chance, please read the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Also...using your email address as your forum name is generally not a good idea. I'll skip the "why" and just mention if you'd like your username changed let me know and I'll shorten/change as desired. (You can't now that your account is set up. A moderator like me can.)

Will I need a DC to DC controller installed as NOT to fry my alternator.
      Check out our new Modifications channel. https://gdrvowners.com/modifications Download the spreadsheet and filter by the Electrical channel--you may find a few very interesting threads to read and learn from. (The spreadsheet is a work-in-progress!)

Towing with: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/ tow package - OEM alternator 180Amp - Hitch 720lbs - GVW 7200lb[
      Please take a look at the Reference Material under the Towing & Hitches channel. https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...rence-material The newly posted thread on weighing your RV is very applicable--even though you haven't bought your trailer yet. Watch it, do some math, and then start a new thread if you have any specific concerns on whether you should tow the 22RBE with your Jeep.

There's a lot to learn--don't get overwhelmed. All of us here started at one point, too. Enjoy the journey! We're here to help.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

TheGoletaLemon Welcome to the family and the forum!
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
        X