Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflection 220RK factory positive bus bar rating? (Front bay RT corner under cover)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection 220RK factory positive bus bar rating? (Front bay RT corner under cover)

I am stumped. My future solar/battery/inverter layout moves the battery connection that is currently to this bus bar to a separate bus bar. I want to put a circuit breaker between the new power bar and this stock one for safety/protection . I will also have a true cut off switch when done. I have looked all over for what size circuit breaker I need. I don't have a leveling system - just front electric jacks. I know there are some self resetting breakers there, but the owners manual doesn't mention them. Do any of the moderators have electrical plans that just might show the rating?

Does anyone know what size circuit breaker I need or how to figure it out?

I emailed Customer Service late last week but have not heard back yet, but there was a holiday this weekend and I know they are busy. I also posted the question on the Reflection 220RK Face Book page. Vin is in my profile if needed.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    I am stumped. My future solar/battery/inverter layout moves the battery connection that is currently to this bus bar to a separate bus bar. I want to put a circuit breaker between the new power bar and this stock one for safety/protection . I will also have a true cut off switch when done. I have looked all over for what size circuit breaker I need. I don't have a leveling system - just front electric jacks. I know there are some self resetting breakers there, but the owners manual doesn't mention them. Do any of the moderators have electrical plans that just might show the rating?

Does anyone know what size circuit breaker I need or how to figure it out?

I emailed Customer Service late last week but have not heard back yet, but there was a holiday this weekend and I know they are busy. I also posted the question on the Reflection 220RK Face Book page. Vin is in my profile if needed.

Thanks
    Keith
    The breakers used in my unit are color coded. If you look between the two posts there should be a color tag on them. Red=50amp, green=30 amp and blue=15amp. If no color tag is present you can always remove them and the manufacturer should have printed the information on the side of them.
    Brian
    2017 Silverado 2500 HD diesel
    2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

Originally posted by Retgw2 View Post

The breakers used in my unit are color coded. If you look between the two posts there should be a color tag on them. Red=50amp, green=30 amp and blue=15amp. If no color tag is present you can always remove them and the manufacturer should have printed the information on the side of them.
      Thanks
      I was hoping for the easy way out . It snowing hard and to get to it I will need to pull the battery, the cover, crawl my dimensional out of shape challenged body into the small space and squint. But your probably correct that's what I need to do. However how do I size it once I know the data as all the circuits will not be in use at the same time.

Thanks Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Unfortunately I am not an electrician so I hesitate to give an opinion on sizing another breaker. On my unit (230RL) the first breaker that accepts power from the battery and protects the line from the battery to the main distribution panel is 50 amps. To be honest I'm not sure why you would need a new breaker between a new "power bar" and the OEM breakers. It seems redundant with the one that already exists.
        Brian
        2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

Originally posted by Retgw2 View Post
          Unfortunately I am not an electrician so I hesitate to give an opinion on sizing another breaker. On my unit (230RL) the first breaker that accepts power from the battery and protects the line from the battery to the main distribution panel is 50 amps. To be honest I'm not sure why you would need a new breaker between a new "power bar" and the OEM breakers. It seems redundant with the one that already exists.
          Brian
          I think you just solved my problem. I was not aware the battery tied to a breaker first. Now I do need to get in there and pull the cover. You just saved me money as your correct if that is the case I don't need a second breaker.
          Thanks
          Keith

Comment

Keith,

If all you are doing is moving the primary power cable from a battery post and onto a stud of a new power busbar, that is itself connected to the battery, then you haven't really changed the dynamics of how the existing circuit breakers are protecting the current lines. I think that if the new power busbar is significantly further away from the existing circuit breakers and there is a concern that the cable running between the connections could be damaged and result in a short then you might want to consider adding another 50 amp breaker to watch that line, but if it is all in the same front storage area I don't think there is a need for it, just my thoughts
            Brian
            2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

Yeah I would think in that case whatever was protecting it before should continue to protect it and you should be good. Just make sure your wire is as big or bigger than what was feeding it before.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                Yeah I would think in that case whatever was protecting it before should continue to protect it and you should be good. Just make sure your wire is as big or bigger than what was feeding it before.
                Thanks Neil
                Yep on the wiring - I plan to make a huge improvement there. I'm limited on space so I will be using welding cable. Inverter need 4/0 and individual battery's to the Victron Lynx Power in module should be 2/0 or bigger depending on what battery's I get. I think the existing battery's are wired with 4AWG. To get it right I am doing a scale drawing and I plan a full size mock up before I start cutting wire and screwing things in place. It will be a fun project. The part I am not looking forward to is getting to the existing converter to install the transfer switch.

Comment

Working...
                X