Looking for and electrical diagram for our 2020 Momentum 29G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for and electrical diagram for our 2020 Momentum 29G

I purchased this trailer from a private owner who claims to dry camp with the generator only. I went to plug it in and it trips the main GFI at the power outlet. After trouble shooting it came down to the outside plug in outlet on the RV to the other end at the main breaker inside. I disconnected the wire inside and used a VOM which told me the copper ground and the white wire were grounding out each other. I don’t know if there is another location to check or if it’s a straight shot outside to the breaker panel?

Originally posted by Robert Patterson View Post
    I purchased this trailer from a private owner who claims to dry camp with the generator only. I went to plug it in and it trips the main GFI at the power outlet. After trouble shooting it came down to the outside plug in outlet on the RV to the other end at the main breaker inside. I disconnected the wire inside and used a VOM which told me the copper ground and the white wire were grounding out each other. I don’t know if there is another location to check or if it’s a straight shot outside to the breaker panel?
    If the generator is factory installed there may be a automatic transfer switch. If it was an after market install there may not be a switch. The outside power connection , from shore power to the coach , should go either to a transfer switch or directly to the panel. Pulling the breaker panel will allow you to see how all of the ground and neutral wires are connected. I think that there was some that have found the the neutral and ground connections were the cause of the generator tripping the GFCI.
    You could call GD customer service to get a diagram but it will more than likely just show the location of the items and not a true wiring diagram showing the trail of each wire.

Please proceed with caution , as you already are , while working with the electric circuit by keeping all power off.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Patterson View Post
      The neutral and ground in an RV should not be connected. That's why generators need a "bonding plug" in order to get them to work with an RV if it has an EMS system. TucsonJim wrote a thread on this topic here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-a-generator

Since your post states the previous owner "...dry camp(ed) with generator only...", perhaps they took a shortcut and bonded the ground and neutral at the Power Distribution Panel in the camper? That would not be good. (I'm not an electrician but those who are here could explain in more detail why that's not good.)

I'll leave further diagnosis of your issue to the more qualified folks here on the board.

Let me point you to the Welcome Letter to New Members as I noted that was your first post. Hopefully the info in that thread helps orient you to this forum quickly.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

perhaps they took a shortcut and bonded the ground and neutral at the Power Distribution Panel in the camper? That would not be good. (I'm not an electrician but those who are here could explain in more detail why that's not good.)
        Per the National Electrical Code, you can only have one common ground/neutral point in a circuit. This is called a "bonded circuit". That is always accomplished at the RV park's circuit. So the neutral and ground should not be tied together in the RV. Most generators don't have a bonded circuit either because they can be tied into household wiring during a power outage and the house will already have a bonded circuit.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
        X