Car generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

There's no need to turn off the converter breaker unless you're trying to run an inverter. I'll try to explain through a few diagrams. They are highly simplified to convey a point, not to demonstrate how to wire an RV.

I hope that helps...

Howard
    Thanks Howard for your "simplified" diagrams !!
    Being DC voltage challenged, I still had to read these a number of times to grasp it all.

Your valuable presentations have been saved in my AC/DC POWER folder for future reference !!

IF I'm reading this all correctly, IF I am powering a small freezer from an inverter while driving and connected to the umbilical power from my TV,
    I would NOT disconnect the power converter circuit since there is no 120V input ??
    Is this correct ??

Michael
    F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat LB 25 row aux transmission cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 Performance chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks, 152 K

2017 307 MKS 9,875 UVW 12,995 GVWR 1,605 Pin wt.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Breeze View Post

Thanks Howard for your "simplified" diagrams !!
      Being DC voltage challenged, I still had to read these a number of times to grasp it all.

Your valuable presentations have been saved in my AC/DC POWER folder for future reference !!

IF I'm reading this all correctly, IF I am powering a small freezer from an inverter while driving and connected to the umbilical power from my TV,
      I would NOT disconnect the power converter circuit since there is no 120V input ??
      Is this correct ??

Michael
      If the inverter is only connected to the refrigerator (extension cord, etc) then no, there's no need to turn off the converter. If the inverter power is going into the power distribution center before getting to the refrigerator, then yes you want to turn off the converter.

Below is an example of an inverter that is not connected to the Power Distribution Panel (something many people do) . In the case below the state of the converter breaker makes no difference. Note, too, that the only device receiving 120vAC is the one connected to the inverter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide6.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	42972
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks again Howard, those were very helpful diagrams and knowing I only have 12 amps available helps me understand what I can use while running the generator. I think that Champion would be more than adequate for my one - three night boondocking adventures.

I found this picture on a forest River forum described parts used to connect to onboard propane.

Name:	Propane Modification for Champion Generator.jpg
Views:	6798
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	43056
        Last edited by howson; 02-16-2021, 08:20 AM.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
          I found this picture on a forest River forum described parts used to connect to onboard propane.
          Thats pretty much exactly what I did and it works flawlessly. I then got a could "extension" hoses so I could have the generator further from the rig that the stock hose allowed. My testing shows you can do pretty much whatever you want on the rig side of the factory hose, but do not mess with the length of the generator side. It measures the flow from the big silver thing that looks like a regulator and if you lengthen that hose at all it will not run right.
          Last edited by howson; 02-16-2021, 08:21 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote...
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thank you! This is perfect--I'm going to do this to my setup, too.

Please note I took the liberty of modifying the original picture by adding the author's name and the thread where it was first posted should anyone want to see the full context. (There's nothing in the thread that adds to hbillsmith's excellent presentation.)
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Propane Modification for Champion Generator.jpg Views:	0 Size:	258.3 KB ID:	43056
              My wife loves it when I tell her things several times. Another reminder:

Not shown in that picture are the gas fitting tape and leak check solution you'll need when putting the fittings together. Here's the tape:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-...2280419?NCNI-5

You can also buy leak test solution at Home Depot but it's expensive. Just make a thin solution of dish soap and water and dribble it onto your connections after you've fitted the system together and turned on the pressure.

Sounds like you're pretty much settled. Good luck making it happen.
              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

boyscout -- using (or not using) tape on the fittings always confuses me. On the refrigerator line I was told to not use tape. Is this because the thread type is different?

Got the parts and pieces on order...

Name:	Shopping Cart.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	43079

Howard & Francine

Comment

Link to thread that howson made with the picture:
                  https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...ropane-adapter

I put all the parts that are needed as amazon links. (I struggled for a while to find the correct parts based off the photo, so I figured If I did the work to figure it out, someone could benefit)
                  Mike
                  2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

howson You went with the FasParts reducing coupler, I went with the Edge Industrial because it was Prime eliglble. They are the same part, correct?
                    Mike
                    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

boyscout -- using (or not using) tape on the fittings always confuses me. On the refrigerator line I was told to not use tape. Is this because the thread type is different?
                      Howard I am by NO means an expert but I've seen gas fitters use it and been warned by a number of people over the years to use tape and to ensure that it is GAS tape and not water plumbing tape that is used.

Note that in the photograph posted by Beachcamper above bits of tape are visible on some of the fittings. I wonder why someone would counsel NOT using tape?
                      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

If the inverter is only connected to the refrigerator (extension cord, etc) then no, there's no need to turn off the converter. If the inverter power is going into the power distribution center before getting to the refrigerator, then yes you want to turn off the converter.

Below is an example of an inverter that is not connected to the Power Distribution Panel (something many people do) . In the case below the state of the converter breaker makes no difference. Note, too, that the only device receiving 120vAC is the one connected to the inverter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide6.JPG Views:	35 Size:	88.3 KB ID:	42972
                        Thanks Howard,

I was intending to only run an extension cord for freezer. BUT.....
                        Would be upside of running the inverter into the distribution box provide power to ANY 120 v appliance, within reason, at that point ??

I can see the value in that providing the battery draw is closely monitored.

Also, in the above scenario, how would running my Honda 2200i generators to recharge the batteries, affect the inverter or would iyt ??

Michael
                        F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat LB 25 row aux transmission cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 Performance chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks, 152 K

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                          howson You went with the FasParts reducing coupler, I went with the Edge Industrial because it was Prime eliglble. They are the same part, correct?
                          Yep--but your choice is .04 less and you'll get it quicker. I didn't see that option.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by Da Breeze View Post
                            Would be upside of running the inverter into the distribution box provide power to ANY 120 v appliance, within reason, at that point ??
                            Once installed, with appropriate transfer switch (the manual one TucsonJim installed--link below) might be a good option for your situation having any outlet available as desired is a nice option. Careful application of power is paramount, though, as it very easy to overload the inverter with this type of installation.

Inverter, Transfer Switch, and Breaker Panel Modifications - Unique Solutions
                            https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ique-solutions

If powering the freezer / refrigerator is the only purpose for the inverter, a single-purpose install bypassing the Distribution Panel may make more sense.

Neither option is "right" or "wrong". Regardless of how it's done the mod will require proper wiring, safety devices, and a knowledgeable user.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Once installed, with appropriate transfer switch (the manual one TucsonJim installed--link below) might be a good option for your situation having any outlet available as desired is a nice option. Careful application of power is paramount, though, as it very easy to overload the inverter with this type of installation.

Inverter, Transfer Switch, and Breaker Panel Modifications - Unique Solutions
                              https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ique-solutions

If powering the freezer / refrigerator is the only purpose for the inverter, a single-purpose install bypassing the Distribution Panel may make more sense.

Neither option is "right" or "wrong". Regardless of how it's done the mod will require proper wiring, safety devices, and a knowledgeable user.
                              Hmmmm.... Makes much more sense for my needs to run dedicated lines for the freezer, sat dish and perhaps a small TV,
                              IPO all the concerns that would be associated with connections through the distribution panel.

After all, I do have the twin Honda's for any substantial loads which my present dual battery configuration could not handle easily anyway.
                              But in regards to charging my batteries, does the inverter need to be isolated prior to a charging cycle OR would it only activate upon a draw ??

Thanks Howard,
                              Michael.

Comment

Da Breeze

Isolate inverter or converter? There is a difference. Big difference.

If you don't wire through the distribution panel how would the converter get 120vAC from your inverter?

If confused, please consult the diagrams again. (Don't feel bad--took me a bit to understand all of this. I read Mike Sokol's book about RV Electricity multiple times...)

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                                X