Reflection 315RLTS 12v Charging System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection 315RLTS 12v Charging System

FlyBoy98 is new member and a new owner (2 weeks) of a Reflection 315RLTS. Having issue with 12v charging system. I purchased unit with two batteries since we have a residential frig with an inverter. I have another older unit which when I plugged 7way cord to the truck I could see the batteries were charging and when I plug the camper with a 15A to 50A adapter I can see the converter is being charged. We took the Reflection out on a four hour run, with inverter on, to a campsite. Checked battery indicator and only 1 lite was on. The ONLY time I have seen any battery charge was when we were plugged into a campsite 50A service.

I checked the batteries when truck was connected and only showed 11.5 volts. I plugged a 15A to 50A adapter to the camper in storage with the main and converter circuit breakers on. Still show no voltage change. I went today - and checked the batteries and they were at 9.5 volts. So I am mystified as to how this unit is wired. I strongly suspect I am in the process of having to replace two brand new group 27 batteries.

I am also wondering if the converter primary 110v feed leg is connected to the wrong side for me to use the 15A to 50A adapter.

HELP - I am getting discourage with the issues of this unit since we picked it up.

FlyBoy98

The first item to check is the battery disconnect switch , this should be pushed in and turned so that it can not be pulled out , so that power will get from the batteries to the coach and power will get from the converter/charger to the batteries for charging. The switch has a red handle and is located in the front pass thru storage.

Check this and let us know what you find.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoy98 View Post
      FlyBoy98 is new member and a new owner (2 weeks) of a Reflection 315RLTS. Having issue with 12v charging system. I purchased unit with two batteries since we have a residential frig with an inverter. I have another older unit which when I plugged 7way cord to the truck I could see the batteries were charging and when I plug the camper with a 15A to 50A adapter I can see the converter is being charged. We took the Reflection out on a four hour run, with inverter on, to a campsite. Checked battery indicator and only 1 lite was on. The ONLY time I have seen any battery charge was when we were plugged into a campsite 50A service.

I checked the batteries when truck was connected and only showed 11.5 volts. I plugged a 15A to 50A adapter to the camper in storage with the main and converter circuit breakers on. Still show no voltage change. I went today - and checked the batteries and they were at 9.5 volts. So I am mystified as to how this unit is wired. I strongly suspect I am in the process of having to replace two brand new group 27 batteries.

I am also wondering if the converter primary 110v feed leg is connected to the wrong side for me to use the 15A to 50A adapter.

HELP - I am getting discourage with the issues of this unit since we picked it up.
      When NOT connected to shore power, do your interior lights work? If not, Country Campers has hit on the most likely problem--the battery disconnect.

The schematic below was how my 315RLTS was wired (yours may be different), but if you look closely with the battery disconnect open the batteries are disconnected from the charging circuit, but the converter will still supply 12v to the trailer when connected to shore power. (The wire labeled "Black wire to Power Distribution Center" is the one that supplies 12v to the interior lights, refrigerator control panel, stereo, etc.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	12V Circuit OEM using Symbols v2 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.0 KB ID:	56763
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

FlyBoy98 -- anticipating your next question, my guess is Grand Design wired the inverter to the batteries before the battery disconnect. That means the batteries will always power the inverter, regardless of battery disconnect position, but they will not charge off the converter if the battery disconnect is not engaged.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Guys thank you. I did have the disconnect switch "ON" - the main circuit breaker "ON" - the converter circuit breaker "ON". As I mention, there was NO change in voltage from the converter to the battery with the 110v pwr cord and adapter connected. I took a voltmeter and only had 11.3 at this time - battery voltage. I am going to include a some pictures of the wiring underneath. There is a 40A relay in the circuit and I have NO clue for what purpose. Looks like a master magician did my wiring.

Comment

You have opened a can of worms with the drawing of the circuit breakers underneath. #3 circuit breaker is for the bedroom slide controller and the WFCO converter. Now we have to find what wonderful engineer stuck a relay in the circuit and what turns it on. Updated picture
            Last edited by FlyBoy98; 06-07-2021, 06:13 PM.

Comment

The only time you seen battery charging was from being hooked up to 50 amp service and now you have a 50 to 20 amp adapter and you do not have converter charging , right? This tells me that your adaptor may not be powering both legs of the 50 amp service in the RV. Check the breaker panel to see that you have power going to the converter while on your adaptor. If there is no power then the adaptor is wired wrong or faulty. If there is power then the fuses on the converter may been blown , check those.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Guys thank you. I did have the disconnect switch "ON" - the main circuit breaker "ON" - the converter circuit breaker "ON". As I mention, there was NO change in voltage from the converter to the battery with the 110v pwr cord and adapter connected. I took a voltmeter and only had 11.3 at this time - battery voltage. I am going to include a some pictures of the wiring underneath. There is a 40A relay in the circuit and I have NO clue for what purpose. Looks like a master magician did my wiring.
                IMO confirming the converter is working should be the next step in the troubleshooting. The converter gets 120v from the Power Distribution Panel (should be plugged into an outlet wired into that panel).

Even before that I'd confirm the 50-to-15A adapter you're using is doing what it is supposed to do which is tie together the two hots. You're new so forgive the newbie-level question: do you have a multimeter, know how to use it, and are aware of the dangers of working around electricity? If you don't have the right tools or know-how, best to know when to say "when" and call for a qualified technician.

If you do have the tools and know how, first thing I'd do is with the 50-to-15A adapter plugged into shore power, check both legs on the Power Distribution Panel to ensure there's power on both legs. Now that I think about it for a second...run the bedroom air conditioner. If it runs, turn it off and run the living room air conditioner. If it also runs, you have power on both legs.

If power is there, is there power to the converter outlet? You'll have to pull the lower cover from the hutch area to access the plug. Inserting a test adapter is the easiest way to verify 120v on the converter's outlet.

If there IS 120v on the outlet, now check for 12v on the output of the converter. If it's not there, the only two possibilities I'm aware of is the fuses are blown (usually due to battery being installed incorrectly at some point) or the converter is bad.

Below is an old picture showing where the converter was in my 315 and where it plugs in to the back of the Power Distribution Panel. Ignore the blue arrow.

The fuses I mentioned are just to the right of the positive (red) 12v output on the top of the converter.

Again--don't be offended and permit to emphasize again to be safe when working with power. Best to turn everything off prior to touching or moving anything. Take copious pictures and notes before doing anything so it can be put back as found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter and Plug.JPG
Views:	755
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	56815

P.S. Typed this prior to seeing Brian's post--I agree eith his assessment!​
                Last edited by howson; 06-08-2021, 06:20 AM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howson - Yes I have a Volt meter and familiar with using it. The thought Brian and you have mention about the one leg not connected was my first thought.

I will try your suggestion about the A/C units and see what happens.

If you can, reload picture, it did not come through.

Comment

FlyBoy98 if you can Ohm the adapter you should be able to test the conductivity between he 2 50A hots and the 30A hot. If you find a dead leg in the 50A adapter, then its not configured properly to provide power to the entire AC system.

Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Howson - Yes I have a Volt meter and familiar with using it. The thought Brian and you have mention about the one leg not connected was my first thought.

I will try your suggestion about the A/C units and see what happens.

If you can, reload picture, it did not come through.
                      Reloaded pic.

Howard & Francine

Comment

FlyBoy98 I can't comment to your problem and hope that you have found your solution. Please chack back in and let us know.

Welcome to the Family and the forum!
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Left seven wire plug from car to imagine overnight while plugged into city power did I do any damage

Comment

Carnac , no.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Carnac Welcome to the family and the forum!

When you have a chance, the moderators have taken the time to create a Welcome Letter to help new members navigate the forum, create a signature line and search tips hoping to give members the best possible experience on the forum. You can find it at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members It will also help you and others have a better understanding of posting your questions and replies. Posting a new (non related) question into an existing thread there becomes a real possibility of it being overlooked by many of the more active members of the forum and no getting a satisfactory answer.
                              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                              Nash County, NC
                              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                              X